Page 2:Inductors And Transformers
Page 4:Current Ripple And Cap Life Calculation
Page 5:Capacitors Manufacturer Tier List
Page 6:Resistors, Transistors And Diodes
Page 7:SMPS Vs. Linear Regulators
Page 8:SMPS Parts Description
Page 9:EMI/Transient Filtering Stage
Page 10:Bridge Rectifiers And APFC
Page 11:Main Switchers And Transformers
Page 12:Output Rectifiers And Filters
Page 13:Switching Controllers And Isolators
Page 14:Switching Regulator Topologies
Page 15:LLC Resonant Converter
Page 16:Digitally Controlled PSUs
Page 17:PSU Cooling
Page 18:Fan Operation And Bearing Types
Page 19:Other Bearing Types: SSO, Rifle, Hysint
Page 20:Measuring PSU's Fan RPM
Page 21:PSU Protections
Page 22:Monitoring Integrated Circuits
Page 23:ATX, EPS, And 80 PLUS Specifications
Page 24:PSU Resources
Interesting PSU Resources
Since this article barely scratches the surface of modern PSUs, if you want to learn more about SMPS design, below you will find a list with some interesting books on the subject. Be aware that you will need the proper electronics background to understand them all, but it's never too late to start learning!
- Gordon McComb and Earl Boysen: "Electronics for Dummies." Wiley Publishing, 2005 (ISBN 0-7645-7660-7).
- Keith H. Billings: "Switchmode Power Supply Handbook." McGraw-Hill, 1989 (ISBN 0-07-005330-8).
- Marty Brown: "Power Supply Cookbook." Newnes, 2001. (ISBN 0-7506-7329-X).
- Marty Brown: "Practical Switching Supply Design." Academic Press, 1990. (ISBN 0-12-137030-5).
- "Switch-Mode Power Supply Reference Manual," On Semiconductor, Rev.4, 2014
- Sanjaya Maniktala: "Switching Power Supplies from A to Z." Newnes, 2006. (ISBN 0-7506-7970-0).
- Sanjaya Maniktala: "Switching Power Supplies A-Z, Second Edition." Newnes, 2012. (ISBN 978-0-12-386533-5).
- ATX specifications 2.31 and 2.4 (Revision 1.31).
- "EPS12V Power Supply Design Guide Version 2.92
In this article, we analyzed the operation of a complex system component, the SMPS/PSU, in order to offer useful information to all readers, even those who might not have an electronics background. Although we covered all major areas, admittedly it is far too difficult, if not impossible, to simplify such complex concepts in a single article, especially when referring to electronics design. Nevertheless, we hope we gave you a good idea of what is happening inside a PSU, which in our opinion is the most significant system component, since it powers all of the others.
- Inductors And Transformers
- Current Ripple And Cap Life Calculation
- Capacitors Manufacturer Tier List
- Resistors, Transistors And Diodes
- SMPS Vs. Linear Regulators
- SMPS Parts Description
- EMI/Transient Filtering Stage
- Bridge Rectifiers And APFC
- Main Switchers And Transformers
- Output Rectifiers And Filters
- Switching Controllers And Isolators
- Switching Regulator Topologies
- LLC Resonant Converter
- Digitally Controlled PSUs
- PSU Cooling
- Fan Operation And Bearing Types
- Other Bearing Types: SSO, Rifle, Hysint
- Measuring PSU's Fan RPM
- PSU Protections
- Monitoring Integrated Circuits
- ATX, EPS, And 80 PLUS Specifications
- PSU Resources