Gigabyte’s CES 2014 Overclocking Event: Enthusiasts In Vegas

About the author
Thomas Soderstrom

Thomas Soderstrom is a Senior Staff Editor at Tom's Hardware US. He tests and reviews cases, cooling, memory and motherboards.

This thread is closed for comments
26 comments
    Your comment
  • rantoc
    So where is that 7 ghz processor that will run stable 24/7 and not just a benchmark and its done... kinda useless but so is drag racing so why not!
  • bemused_fred
    "We all know that female overclockers exist, but few of us have seen one.""A GIRL! A GIRL! A GIRL! A GIRL!"Oh grow up already. Don't react to girls being at an overclocking competition like a 14-year-old boy having their model train society invaded by one and then wonder why we see so few in the overclocking business.
  • SoumyaHD
    WOW
  • Novuake
    687157 said:
    "We all know that female overclockers exist, but few of us have seen one.""A GIRL! A GIRL! A GIRL! A GIRL!"Oh grow up already. Don't react to girls being at an overclocking competition like a 14-year-old boy having their model train society invaded by one and then wonder why we see so few in the overclocking business.


    Its called rhetoric, I am reasonably sure that the author did not go "GIRL GIRL...". The idea behind it is HUMOUR.

    You are reacting like a 14 old boy TRYING very hard to act mature.

    So stop nitpicking.
  • bemused_fred
    554342 said:
    So stop nitpicking.


    I hardly think it's nitpicking to say that something alone the lines of

    Quote:
    The Fairer Side Of Overclocking We all know that female overclockers exist, but few of us have seen one. Gigabyte’s event featured two, but the other one always seemed to have her back turned to the camera.


    Is perhaps the creepiest, least mature way of talking about women, ever. It's like the author has heard of women, and maybe even seen a picture or two of them, but can't react to seeing one in real life beyond "WOW, SUCH GIRL. MANY RARE. MUCH FAIRNESS. WHY TURN BACK. WOW". C'mon. If you want more women in the P.C. hardware market maybe try, oh I dunno, treating them like the normal* human beings that they are instead of some kind of freak show to be gawked at.

  • expl0itfinder
    ^^When you put it in a quote, it is pretty creepy o_0
  • Novuake
    The people saying they are not sexist or racist or whatever are the ones that constantly hold it in their mind and bind it to society, LET IT GO and no one can take offence to it.

    Hell if you were a woman Fred then you would have had all right to complain, but you are not. You may be completely wrong and every woman out there that do overclock finds his insert funny.

    Everyone's an individual, stop talking about equality, if you are not in some backwater country, you should not even be considering it a problem. If I were to treat everyone with that know nothing about the computer industry the same, they would never learn anything.
  • bemused_fred
    Quote:
    The people saying they are not sexist or racist or whatever are the ones that constantly hold it in their mind and bind it to society, LET IT GO and no one can take offence to it.Hell if you were a woman Fred then you would have had all right to complain, but you are not. You may be completely wrong and every woman out there that do overclock finds his insert funny. Everyone's an individual, stop talking about equality, if you are not in some backwater country, you should not even be considering it a problem. If I were to treat everyone with that know nothing about the computer industry the same, they would never learn anything.

    All I'm saying is that the author of this piece should talk about women like they're people instead of gasping and fawning over them in an abnormal and frankly scary manner. If that upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
  • Sykotik
    Quote:
    All I'm saying is that the author of this piece should talk about women like they're people instead of gasping and fawning over them in an abnormal and frankly scary manner. If that upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
    All we're saying is that the reader of this piece should read 'with a grain of salt' instead of gasping and trolling over it in an abnormal and frankly annoying manner. If that tiny portion of text upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
  • Mahisse
    I love how comments for these articles always turn into discussion about a completely unrelated question :D
  • Novuake
    1545758 said:
    Quote:
    All I'm saying is that the author of this piece should talk about women like they're people instead of gasping and fawning over them in an abnormal and frankly scary manner. If that upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
    All we're saying is that the reader of this piece should read 'with a grain of salt' instead of gasping and trolling over it in an abnormal and frankly annoying manner. If that tiny portion of text upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.


    I hate hashtags. But #slowclap

    Well said. :)
  • vmem
    I don't know why all of you are making such a big argument out of it, to me, the author merely pointed out the obvious in a slightly strange way (I find it funny, but to each their own). and at the end of the day, this is the FIRST TIME I have seen a girl pictured at a competitive overclocking event. so there, I appreciate the author pointing this out, and look forward to the PC business becoming more gender-balanced (and not in the form of booth babes)
  • user 18
    If this were the only example in media of such an attitude towards women, I would say it was fine to ignore it. But with it being such a common attitude, it's worthwhile to point out that it's not appropriate to have a slide dedicated to pointing out that there was a woman (or women) in attendance when the description attach every other slide was describing what the subject of the photo was doing. Again, the reason it's an issue is because this is always what happens to women in tech,
  • IndustryStandard
    Quote:
    All I'm saying is that the author of this piece should talk about women like they're people instead of gasping and fawning over them in an abnormal and frankly scary manner. If that upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
    They're not. They're saying that as commentary on the stereotype of PC enthusiasts being basement dwelling virgins. You took it at face value and missed the self-deprecating satire.
  • smeezekitty
    I personally agree there was no reason to bring of the fact there are females at the event. That is just kind of weird. Yes it is a fact that there are less women in technology but it still doesn't make it newsworthyUnnecessary differentiation of gender only strengthens stereotypes IMOI would have been interested with more results more than anything
  • Crashman
    686747 said:
    I don't know why all of you are making such a big argument out of it, to me, the author merely pointed out the obvious in a slightly strange way (I find it funny, but to each their own). and at the end of the day, this is the FIRST TIME I have seen a girl pictured at a competitive overclocking event. so there, I appreciate the author pointing this out, and look forward to the PC business becoming more gender-balanced (and not in the form of booth babes)
    Exactly. The "Fairer Side" page title was a little tongue-in-cheek, but I expected computer guys to understand such minor complexities of banter. The comments next to the photo were just accuracy: We occasionally see female overclockers at competitive events. Rarely is a subset of occasionally and is probably more accurate. It would be dishonest to say "nobody noticed".

    The most noteworthy attribute of this event's gender balance is that it included two female overclockers, where most events have 0-1. We'd like everyone to feel welcome at these, but it's hard to foster that interest in a society where pop culture still enforces gender norms.

    1472553 said:
    Quote:
    All I'm saying is that the author of this piece should talk about women like they're people instead of gasping and fawning over them in an abnormal and frankly scary manner. If that upsets you, you really need to take a good look at yourself and ask why.
    They're not. They're saying that as commentary on the stereotype of PC enthusiasts being basement dwelling virgins. You took it at face value and missed the self-deprecating satire.
    Another example of someone who perfectly understands the "fairer side" banter. Thanks!

    Perhaps I should have said "defying social stereotypes", but I really expected a bunch of "geeks" to "get it" without that explanation.
  • boilerwag99
    honestly, this isnt an article, its a crappy slide show. Overclocking is exciting and you'ver reduced it to an episode of masterpiece 3000.
  • Crashman
    159214 said:
    honestly, this isnt an article, its a crappy slide show. Overclocking is exciting and you'ver reduced it to an episode of masterpiece 3000.
    Because it lasted seven hours without any real results :) Nothing really happened until after some of the team members returned to finish off the leftover Liquid Nitrogen.
  • warezme
    The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of fat dudes putting parts together I could do in my sleep and using liquid nitrogen to overclock the snot out of some free hardware. Whoopdeedo. What mad skillz.(sarcasm) Reach 7Ghz stable, everyday on your own dime and I'll be impressed.
  • smeezekitty
    114152 said:
    The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of fat dudes putting parts together I could do in my sleep and using liquid nitrogen to overclock the snot out of some free hardware. Whoopdeedo. What mad skillz.(sarcasm) Reach 7Ghz stable, everyday on your own dime and I'll be impressed.

    Misses the point
  • Crashman
    114152 said:
    The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of fat dudes putting parts together I could do in my sleep and using liquid nitrogen to overclock the snot out of some free hardware.
    And now we see why I put in the picture of the skinny dudette :p Her team mate was skinnier still, in the stereotypical "98-pound weakling" class of geeks. And the other male/female team was a muscular dude and an even leaner dudette :)

    Warezme proves the legitimacy of including atypical overclockers in the narrative.
  • Novuake
    8708 said:
    114152 said:
    The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of fat dudes putting parts together I could do in my sleep and using liquid nitrogen to overclock the snot out of some free hardware.
    And now we see why I put in the picture of the skinny dudette :p Here team mate was skinnier still, in the stereotypical "98-pound weakling" class of geeks. And the other male/female team was a muscular dude and an even leaner dudette :)


    Steriotypes? What steriotypes? :lol:
  • Crashman
    554342 said:
    8708 said:
    114152 said:
    The whole thing is ridiculous. A bunch of fat dudes putting parts together I could do in my sleep and using liquid nitrogen to overclock the snot out of some free hardware.
    And now we see why I put in the picture of the skinny dudette :p Here team mate was skinnier still, in the stereotypical "98-pound weakling" class of geeks. And the other male/female team was a muscular dude and an even leaner dudette :)
    Steriotypes? What steriotypes? :lol:
    right, I actually only saw two or three stereotypical-appearing fat/skinny dudes, the place was so mixed up it could have been nearly any random group of people.
  • Novuake
    8708 said:
    right, I actually only saw two or three stereotypical-appearing fat/skinny dudes, the place was so mixed up it could have been nearly any random group of people.


    I truly think that because of the internet and a massive increase in the popularity of so called "geek" culture, there are no more "stereotypical-appearing fat/skinny dudes" with glasses or whatever the case may be.