Corsair H150i Pro CPU Cooler Review

Comparison Coolers, Testing Results & Conclusion

Loading...

We utilize data from previous CPU cooling reviews  to provide standardized results for comparison. We will be comparing the Corsair H150i Pro against the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition, EVGA CLC 280, NZXT Kraken X61, and Alphacool Eisbaer 360 CPU in a shootout of large footprint liquid coolers.

Right away we see that the H150i Pro doesn’t quite keep up in terms of overall thermal load testing. It turns in the highest temperatures of the testing group. Its cooling of motherboard voltage regulators and nearby components suffers a similar fate at both full and half fan speeds, although the results are still respectable. Given that the large 360 radiator has plenty of surface area, are we seeing airflow as a possible culprit?

Interestingly enough, the Corsair H150i Pro doesn’t turn in the slowest fan speeds, but its numbers are on the lower end of the scale. While fan RPM is only one value when it comes to airflow, it does seem to indicate that Corsair likely valued lower noise levels rather than outright performance to preserve balance with a cooler using three 120mm fans.

Our noise level results gives us more insight to support our fan speed theory. The H150i Pro turns in low registered sound values, only bested by the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360, which also uses the slowest fans of the testing group.

Evaluating cooling performance alongside noise levels allows the Corsair H150i Pro to catch up a bit, but it still struggles to overcome the initial higher load temperatures (compared to its peers) in our acoustic efficiency evaluation.

In our overall performance value equation, all units begin to scale back at full fan speeds as unit price is evaluated against the efficiency ratings. The Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360's price premium over the Corsiar H150i Pro closes the overall gap while the lower cost of the EVGA CLC 280 and NZXT Kraken X61 helps the average pricing budget for the group.

Overall, the Corsiar H150i Pro performs well under considerable thermal loads while also being simple to install and control. Using custom color control only for the pump itself, the Corsair H150i Pro has fewer RGB bells and whistles than the Thermaltake Flow Riing RGB 360. But the H150i is also $30 lower in price.

The Corsair LINK software provides a great deal of value that represents a set of intangibles around system monitoring, performance curves, and control. It provides a one-stop shop from simple, one-click adjustments to granular, independent configurations that includes dashboard information not only from the H150i Pro itself, but motherboard, processor, storage, graphics and memory as well.

MORE: Best CPU Cooling

MORE: How To Choose A CPU Cooler

MORE: All Cooling Content

This thread is closed for comments
19 comments
    Your comment
  • Matt_550
    Wow, temps were 10C higher than even the leading 280mm CPU coolers. That's not good...
  • rubix_1011
    My thinking is that airflow might be the overall main culprit since a 280 and 360 radiator are very close in actual surface area and overall heat exchanger volume. Would be a very simple theory to test :)
  • mcconkeymike
    I had to change out the fans on my Corsair H100i due to noise and poor cooling. Once I did I noticed a decent difference. I'm betting they are putting the low end fans on the cooler and if you put some good ones on there you'd be in good shape. That would screw up the price/performance ratio, but if you are a Corsair junky, then there you go.
  • thrakazog
    I've seen a few reviews today on this AIO, and I'm wondering if you tested with the pump set to half speed quiet mode only. All the other test results I've seen show this AIO performing quite well compared to the other AIO's. I've seen one review that tested both the normal performance mode for the pump, and the quiet mode, and only their quiet mode low speed pump results have matched the results in this review.
  • rubix_1011
    I had the pump set to full speed according to the LINK software; it was set for all tests in this configuration.
  • melvis72
    Would be interesting to see if a push pull configuration would give some lower temp ranges and by how much. I also wonder if the stock fans are hindering lower temps but like Thrakazog said I also seen reviews that showed it fairing better against other AIO coolers.
  • mrmez
    These AIO rads are so thin, shouldn't make a difference at all.
  • FD2Raptor
    547990 said:
    I've seen a few reviews today on this AIO, and I'm wondering if you tested with the pump set to half speed quiet mode only. All the other test results I've seen show this AIO performing quite well compared to the other AIO's. I've seen one review that tested both the normal performance mode for the pump, and the quiet mode, and only their quiet mode low speed pump results have matched the results in this review.


    Gamer Nexus : 5930k @ 3.8Ghz 1.14V
    EVGA 280 (2200rpm) : 32.86 LOAD, over ambient
    NZXT X61 (1700rpm) : 36.94 LOAD, over ambient
    Corsair H150 (1600rpm) : 35.80 LOAD, over ambient
    Corsair H150 "quiet" (1600rpm) : 49.91 LOAD, over ambient


    Toms : 5930k @ 4.2Ghz 1.2V
    EVGA 280 (2280rpm) : 37 LOAD, over ambient
    NZXT X61 (1980rpm) : 41 LOAD, over ambient
    Corsair H150 (1600rpm) : 55 LOAD, over ambient

    either those extra OC and voltage is already too much for the H150 or something is off here...
  • envy14tpe
    Something seems wrong in your testing. I haven't seen a single review with comparable cooling numbers.
  • Randi Poling
    Swap the fans, they use the bare bones, bottom of the barrel fans for their AiOs. I swapped out the stock fans with some LP Corsair White LED fans and i noticed a difference. Swap the fans and try the tests over.
  • Randi Poling
    Not to add a second comment, but also check the settings, quiet mode can really make the temps shoot up when trying to push the CPU, trust me, I was playing BF1 and in quiet mode, and my cpu temps shot to 80... I was like, what? No.. cause the norm is usally 50, 60, MAX, and lo and behold, it was in quiet mode.
  • rubix_1011
    Performance mode was set for all testing; Corsair provided our team with a specific software release of LINK to be used and was double-checked each time testing was performed.
  • ddferrari
    1586147 said:
    Swap the fans, they use the bare bones, bottom of the barrel fans for their AiOs. I swapped out the stock fans with some LP Corsair White LED fans and i noticed a difference. Swap the fans and try the tests over.

    That's just silly, what's the point? That's like testing a Porsche, getting weak numbers, then suggesting they pop in a more powerful motor. Then it's not the same car anymore, is it? People want to know how the product performs as sold, not after swapping parts out (and spending more money).

    If Corsair is using "bottom of the barrel" fans then that's what the review should reflect- which it does.
  • expert_vision
    More expensive than a CPU (8100) ... Are you kidding me? It's a bloody fan with a radiator and a 12V pump.
  • thrakazog
    370387 said:
    1586147 said:
    Swap the fans, they use the bare bones, bottom of the barrel fans for their AiOs. I swapped out the stock fans with some LP Corsair White LED fans and i noticed a difference. Swap the fans and try the tests over.
    That's just silly, what's the point? That's like testing a Porsche, getting weak numbers, then suggesting they pop in a more powerful motor. Then it's not the same car anymore, is it? People want to know how the product performs as sold, not after swapping parts out (and spending more money). If Corsair is using "bottom of the barrel" fans then that's what the review should reflect- which it does.


    The issue we're wondering about it why the specific unit in this test performed badly. Every other test/review I've seen has it performing well in the top half of the charts with other AIO's. Perhaps Tom's received a bad unit. I'm not saying I like this AIO one way or the other....it's just strange that this particular review is the only one with poor results.
  • flep
    Finally a review that is not paid, the other sites are probably tied to some Corsair advertising shit and don't want to point the simple truth: there is NOTHING GOOD about a 360mm AIO that loses to cheaper 280mm and even 240mm on some comparisons.
    Corsair took years to finally do a 360mm one and it's terrible, plain simple.

    And man that pump format and style is ugly, jesus.
  • HossIV
    @FLEP so your logic is when you see everyone giving good reviews on it and one bad review youre gonna believe the one bad review and say the good ones are all paid? that's extremely uneducated. MOST people that have done reviews are NOT paid endorsements. in fact this very one was technically a paid review because Corsair hooked them up with a unit AND a special version of Corsair LINK as the guy said. If a review is paid or sponsored it is illegal NOT to say it is sponsored. so if someone just does a review, especially a more well known person or group, and they dont say it's sponsored or anything, then it is not sponsored and they are more than likely not going easy on the product. Especially if you watch JayZTwoCents' review on it. He's the last guy to ever review a product and not give an honest answer on it. if he says it's good then it's honestly good.
  • flep
    2162265 said:
    @FLEP so your logic is when you see everyone giving good reviews on it and one bad review youre gonna believe the one bad review and say the good ones are all paid? that's extremely uneducated. MOST people that have done reviews are NOT paid endorsements. in fact this very one was technically a paid review because Corsair hooked them up with a unit AND a special version of Corsair LINK as the guy said. If a review is paid or sponsored it is illegal NOT to say it is sponsored. so if someone just does a review, especially a more well known person or group, and they dont say it's sponsored or anything, then it is not sponsored and they are more than likely not going easy on the product. Especially if you watch JayZTwoCents' review on it. He's the last guy to ever review a product and not give an honest answer on it. if he says it's good then it's honestly good.


    No, that's not my logic at all, and there's nothing uneducated.

    I really don't get how you can't see the logic, as it's simple logic pattern: if the data provided on comparisons SHOW that a product is losing to cheaper 280mm products (and they do show this on multiple reviews), the product is bad, that's it.

    But then there's reviews that show have this same data and still say "good product, we recommend", it doesn't make any sense because this is not something subject of opinion, it should be backed up by data / facts.

    Therefore, if the data provided show that the product on it's main functionality loses to cheaper / older / smaller products, and someone still say is a good product, or the reviewer is being paid (which they should mention on the review itself), or the website has some advertising tie and don't want to upset Corsair (and this they do not need to mention on the review) - because this is how the world works.

    Pretty simple.
  • rubix_1011
    I am not paid by Corsair for the review, nor am I paid by any of the hardware vendors for the coolers I am supplied with to review. We are provided testing samples for benchmarking, photos and write-up. All manufacturers do this and this is common practice everywhere on the web for any site posting reviews. These are not paid endorsements and by reading some of the results, it should seem apparent that not every item that is being reviewed receives positive marks or 'finishes on top'.

    Tom's Hardware is viewed by millions upon millions of people per day, so the web traffic alone to see their hardware shown and written about is the primary goal. It also means Google and every other search engine can then index the page for people searching on it.