Andyson Platinum R1200 Power Supply Review

Andyson is a Taiwanese power supply manufacturer with two Platinum-rated PSUs certified by Ecova Plug Load Solutions, which is responsible for the 80 PLUS program. Nevertheless, on Andyson's product page, there are two series listed as Platinum-class— the Y and S families, consisting of nine PSUs in total. Obviously, the company hasn't provided samples to Ecova for efficiency certification, or the test results aren't ready yet. This must also be the case for its newest release, the Platinum R1200, which, in addition to high power levels, meets the 80 PLUS Platinum requirements according to Andyson. Using our own test equipment, we'll figure out if this is indeed true.

The Platinum R1200 is a high-end PSU designed to match the extra-tough competition in this category. The features that will help it distinguish itself are a fully modular cabling design, an advanced platform, a high-quality and specially designed EMI/transient filter and the premium performance it promises to deliver.

The truth is that we aren't used to seeing Andyson in this top-end league. Surviving against Flextronics (Corsair AX1200i), Seasonic and Super Flower (EVGA P2/G2-1200) will be difficult. However, Andyson is emphasizing this PSU's high performance and isn't afraid of comparisons to the big names in this category. Possibly the biggest advantage of this unit is its low suggested retail price, which is $205 in the Asian market. On the other hand, our U.S. readers cannot get their hands on the Platinum R1200, though that could change if Andyson finds a distributor or another company wants to rebrand this model (similar to Super Flower's PSUs, which are found in the U.S. under EVGA's brand).

Specifications

The Platinum R1200 offers 1200W of capacity and is 80 PLUS Platinum-compliant, according to Andyson (the official certification was pending at the time of this review). In addition, it features a fully modular cabling design and is equipped with all protection features except Over-Temperature protection, which is sorely missed.

A dual ball-bearing fan handles cooling. There is no semi-passive mode, which is a common characteristic among many high-end PSUs. We believe that, as long as the fan operates at low speeds under light loads and normal operating temperatures, a semi-passive mode isn't necessary. Plus, we're encouraged by an extremely long 10-year warranty.

Power Specifications

Rail3.3V
5V
12V
5VSB
-12V
Maximum PowerAmps
20
20
200
3
0.4
Watts
100
1200
15
4.8
Total Maximum Power (W)1200




The single +12V rail is powerful; it can deliver 100 amperes. The secondary ones have enough power for any modern system, although it would be nice if they were a little beefier, perhaps adding up to 120W. Finally, the 5VSB rail can deliver up to 3A, which suffices for quickly charging a tablet. If you want to quick-charge two tablets, you'd need a stronger 5VSB rail.

Cables And Connectors

ATX Connector (600mm)20 + 4 pin
4 + 4-pin EPS12V (600mm)2
6 + 2-pin PCIe (605mm + 150mm)6
6 + 2-pin PCIe (610mm)4
SATA (605mm + 150mm + 150mm + 150mm)12
4-pin Molex (605mm + 150mm + 150mm) / FDD (+150mm)2 / 1

Andyson arms this PSU with lots of cables and connectors. Specifically, there are 10 PCIe leads and two EPS connectors. Although the main ATX cable is long enough, the EPS cables should be two to four inches (five to 10 centimeters) longer. The distance between the connectors is reasonable, even if we can imagine some enthusiasts preferring the SATA connectors closer to each other. Finally, the 24-pin ATX connector and the PCIe cables use thicker 16AWG wire for lower voltage drops, while the EPS connectors use a mix of 18AWG and 16AWG wires.

Power Distribution

Since this PSU features a single +12V rail, there isn’t much to say about its power distribution.

This thread is closed for comments
43 comments
    Your comment
  • blackmagnum
    Thank you for the read. Did you know that the power feeding this PSU can instead be fed into 3 normal sized machines? The power of choice is yours to make, but electricity will not be infinite.
  • ykki
    Now THAT is a detailed review!
  • iam2thecrowe
    Teapo capacitors are a hit and miss. I'd say if your running it 24/7 as a coin mining machine with high load it would not last 10 years. For normal use with a few hours gaming per day it might be ok, but 10 years is a long shot for even the best capacitors not to have some degradation.
  • daglesj
    Can we have some reviews of really high quality 300-600W PSUs? You know the ones that 90% of us here would actually use/need.
  • vrumor
    Quote:
    Thank you for the read. Did you know that the power feeding this PSU can instead be fed into 3 normal sized machines? The power of choice is yours to make, but electricity will not be infinite.


    Did you know that anyone who cares about this PSU, isnt going to be thinking about the 3 400w HTPCs that it could run. Keep your politics out of a PSU review lol.
  • Aris_Mp
    I will review mid-level and mainstream PSUs as well, no worries about this.
  • rolli59
    Always nice to see reviews of the high end stuff but really the 300-850watt range will cover the needs of 99% of readers of the side.
    Now lets see if Andyson can follow up and start putting out decent lower power units.
  • damric
    Andyson, the notorious RAIDMAX OEM. Not sure any sane person would pick you for a high end PSU, but thanks for trying.
  • iam2thecrowe
    Quote:
    Can we have some reviews of really high quality 300-600W PSUs? You know the ones that 90% of us here would actually use/need.

    i disagree, can we get a roundup of complete rubbish generic psu's like low end radimax and the like and watch them burn! i think it needs to be done to show people what not to buy.
  • damric
    526305 said:
    410076 said:
    Andyson, the notorious RAIDMAX OEM. Not sure any sane person would pick you for a high end PSU, but thanks for trying.
    is it andyson's fault that raidmax wants them to supply cheap PSU?


    Yes, absolutely. Same with other OEMs like Channel Well that know how to make good PSUs but instead churn out cost-cutting junk because that's the best contracts that they can win. I am not forgiving when it comes to PSUs.
  • Nuwan Fernando
    In the power specification section it says 200 Amps on 12V line and mention as 1200W. And also in the passage it says it can deliver 100 Amps on 12V line. So I guess it should be 100 Amps on the specification also.
  • Aris_Mp
    Yeap this is a typo. It is 100 A max at +12V.
  • jonas93
    Wow 100 amps on 12v you can even build a small homemade welder.
  • Iain Sheldon
    i need this i have a heavily pumped fx 6350 and even a 850 watt dips heavily on twelve volts
  • Dark Lord of Tech
    I'll stick to the best Super Flower.
  • damric
    Quote:
    410076 said:
    526305 said:
    410076 said:
    Andyson, the notorious RAIDMAX OEM. Not sure any sane person would pick you for a high end PSU, but thanks for trying.
    is it andyson's fault that raidmax wants them to supply cheap PSU?
    Yes, absolutely. Same with other OEMs like Channel Well that know how to make good PSUs but instead churn out cost-cutting junk because that's the best contracts that they can win. I am not forgiving when it comes to PSUs.
    you are allowed your opinion but frankly the OEM means little to me compared to actual build quality, independent performance review, and the brands CS on the warranty. If CWT makes cheap PSU because the brand gives them a low price point, I could care less. If there is a very good PSU at a great price with a solid brand CS behind it that happens to be made by CWT, I could care less and I'll get it if I need a new PSU.


    ^^ ...and this is why JP needs to make the PSU expert badges very hard to get. I'm tired of seeing num-nums with red badges especially. PSU master currently only requires 50 points, yet frivilous badges like gaming master take like 150 points...

    Seriously would you buy this RAIDMAX to power 1200W of components? Might as well put some potatos in series.
  • ykki
    410076 said:
    Quote:
    410076 said:
    526305 said:
    410076 said:
    Andyson, the notorious RAIDMAX OEM. Not sure any sane person would pick you for a high end PSU, but thanks for trying.
    is it andyson's fault that raidmax wants them to supply cheap PSU?
    Yes, absolutely. Same with other OEMs like Channel Well that know how to make good PSUs but instead churn out cost-cutting junk because that's the best contracts that they can win. I am not forgiving when it comes to PSUs.
    you are allowed your opinion but frankly the OEM means little to me compared to actual build quality, independent performance review, and the brands CS on the warranty. If CWT makes cheap PSU because the brand gives them a low price point, I could care less. If there is a very good PSU at a great price with a solid brand CS behind it that happens to be made by CWT, I could care less and I'll get it if I need a new PSU.
    ^^ ...and this is why JP needs to make the PSU expert badges very hard to get. I'm tired of seeing num-nums with red badges especially. PSU master currently only requires 50 points, yet frivilous badges like gaming master take like 150 points... Seriously would you buy this RAIDMAX to power 1200W of components? Might as well put some potatos in series.


    ......or lemons!
  • turkey3_scratch
    I am by all means no power supply expert (probably not even a novice though my badge says otherwise lol) but the people on Toms do tend to be very stubborn and closed-minded when it comes to accepting or considering anything other than Seasonic or Superflower. I feel like dirtyferret has a solid point. I bet if Seasonic had designed this exact same PSU people would be like "Oh my gosh this a great power supply".
  • Dark Lord of Tech
    It's a review , nothing to get worked up about.
  • damric
    276663 said:
    It's a review , nothing to get worked up about.


    You know I get a boner when I see those Tawanese caps. mmmhmmmnnnnn....
  • ykki
    Can anybody tell me the best to worst capacitors in a psu?
  • ykki
    276663 said:

    Thank you sir. Also can anyone deny the irony that the article is from corsair? :lol: