It's been a week since the StarCraft II launch and although the really dedicated fans rushed out and purchased the game straight away, there are some people who have yet to purchase the title. If you're among the latter, be sure you don't respond to any details offering you a free copy of the game.
Siliconera reports that scammers are targeting StarCraft II fans with emails that purport to be from the Blizzard store. The email offers the recipient a StarCraft II CD key but states they must create or log into their existing Battle.net account using the log-in form at a provided URL.
The email (pasted below) comes from an @blizzard.review.com email account and includes a receipt for a purchased copy of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.
Hello, thank you for shopping at the Blizzard Store!
StarCraft II®: Wings of Liberty™: 2775298057033043807536803
To use this key to activate the game, simply follow these instructions:
1. Create a Battle.net account (or if you already have one, log in) at <malicious URL removed>
2. Verify your e-mail address. (If you have previously verified your address, skip this step.) From the main Account Management page, click the ‘verify this e-mail address’ link. Then, check your e-mail account for a verification e-mail. Click the link in this e-mail to verify your e-mail address.
3. Return to the Battle.net account management page, then click on ‘Code Redemption’.
4. Enter the above CDKey in the code field.
5. Once you have successfully redeemed this code, you will be able to play the game.
NOTE: If you have previously chosen to gift your digital purchase, attaching this key to their Battle.net account will prevent you from being able to redeem this key with your Battle.net account.
Customer Account: <e-mail address removed>
Order Date: 2010-8-2
Order #: 3893676
(1) StarCraft II®: Wings of Liberty™ – $59.99
Credit Card Number : ****-****-****-4406
Credit Card Type : Visa
Item Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Shipping Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $59.99
If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact us at:
Phone: Toll-free at (1-800-592-5499)
Live phone support is available seven days a week, 8:00AM – 8:00PM Pacific Time.
Thanks for shopping with us!
Blizzard Customer Service
If you get this email (or any email from something other than an @blizzard.com or @battle.net account) be sure to delete it and warn your friends!!