TDK has developed a single-chip SSD that is significantly smaller than previous similar products.
The eSSD series will be available in a 17 mm by 17 mm package that integrates a NAND Flash memory controller with a 3 Gbps SATA interface and 1 to 4 GB of storage capacity.
TDK said that it expects the chips to make their way especially into consumer electronics as well as automotive and industrial products, but believes that thin client PCs, mobile Internet devices, netbooks and other ultra-mobile PCs will adopt the eSSD as well.
According to the manufacturer, the chips use single-level cell NAND flash and support AES 128-bit encryption. The maximum data read speeds of the chips is MBps and write access speeds reach up to 30 MBps. There was no information on availability and price.
Applications of such a device include:
- Office equipment such as multifunction printers (MFP), label printers, barcode printers, and commercial projectors
- Amusement devices such as karaoke on demand, arcade games, and game consoles
- Factory automation equipment such as NC machine tools, sequencers, PLCs, panel computers, touch panel systems, and embedded CPU boards
- Railway and transport equipment such as automated ticket gates, automated ticket vending machines, commuter pass vending machines, automated air ticket vending machines, and automated check-in systems
- Banking terminals such as POS devices, convenience store and kiosk terminals, and ATMs
- Medical and measuring instruments such as diagnostic imaging systems, cardiography equipment, blood analysis equipment, medical PCs, and electronic records systems
- Communications and broadcasting equipment and information system devices for base stations such as third-generation mobile phone data communications systems
- Security terminals and security devices such as digital signage, entry control systems, and monitoring cameras
- Disaster prevention related equipment such as earthquake early warning systems and household fire detectors
- Audio-visual devices such as digital cameras, video cameras, smart TVs, Blu-ray TVs, Blu-ray disc players, Blu-ray disc recorders, set-top boxes (STB), and communication satellite broad-cast tuners
- Thin client PCs and mobile Internet devices (MID), netbooks and other ultra-mobile PCs (UMPC)
- Automotive devices such as car navigation systems, portable navigation devices (PND), digital tachographs, data loggers, drive recorders, and rear view monitors