There's a big hole in between AMD's £350 Radeon HD 7950 and its £120 Radeon HD 7700. Today, the company introduces Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 to fill that gap, and they push a lot more performance than we expected. But are they really ready for prime time?
Bethesda’s incredibly popular The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim recently received a significant patch that put more of an emphasis on graphics performance. Let’s begin with 8x MSAA in conjunction with FXAA to smooth out the edges of foliage:
The new 7800-series boards do well in this game, both outrunning AMD’s Radeon HD 6970.
This is one of those titles where AMD’s Adaptive AA feature really interested us. Because there are so many transparent textures on leaves, branches, and plants, applying Adaptive AA could make a profound impact on graphics quality.
We’re also able to test Nvidia’s Transparent AA technology, which similarly anti-aliases transparent textures.
With Adaptive AA enabled, AMD’s Radeon HD 7800-series cards compare much more favourably to the Radeon HD 6900-series boards. In fact, both 7800s blow right past the fastest card in our charts, Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 580.
To be fair, Nvidia’s TrSSAA looks a little better than AMD’s Adaptive AA in this game. Notice also that the Radeon HD 7800s are faster when Adaptive AA is turned on compared to MSAA with FXAA in the charts up top. Strange though that may be, we confirmed it through multiple iterations of our benchmark. We also took screen shots that prove the 7800’s Adaptive AA yields the same output quality as the 6900s, despite the performance difference.
- Radeon HD 7870 and 7850: A Paper Launch by Any Other Name
- Features, MLAA 2.0, and SSAA Updates
- Texture Optimizations And The Radeon HD 7000 Series
- Test Setup And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark 11 And Unigine Heaven
- Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3
- Benchmark Results: Metro 2033
- Benchmark Results: Aliens Vs. Predator
- Benchmark Results: Crysis 2
- Benchmark Results: Mafia 2
- Benchmark Results: GTA IV
- Benchmark Results: Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 3
- Benchmark Results: StarCraft II
- Benchmark Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Benchmark Results: World Of Warcraft
- Benchmark Results: Sandra 2012
- Benchmark Results: MediaEspresso, Luxmark 2.0, Bitmining
- Power Consumption
- Temperature And Noise
- Radeon HD 7800: Great Performance, Price, And Power. But Is It Ready?