We performed several different benchmark tests in order to obtain the most complete and well-balanced view of how the AMD XP 3200+ performs. The benchmark results provide a clear overview of the tested different CPUs.
In this description, you will see that many things have changed in the benchmark tests. OpenGL performance was measured by five different Quake 3 tests - Direct3D performance from the DirectX package was measured by 3D Mark 2001 SE (based on DirectX 8). Nor did we forget Unreal Tournament 2003 and Comanche 4, both established 3D games for DirectX 8. A new 3D game in our portfolio is Splintercell.
The different MPEG-encoding benchmarks provide a comprehensive testing environment: "mp3 Makers Platinium" was used to encode a 178 MB WAV file into "MPEG-1 Layer 3 format." A newcomer to the test is Xmpeg, version 5.0b, with the DivX codec 5.05. We also converted a DV video (1.2 GB) into an MPEG-2 file using Main Concept 1.3. Additionally, we created an MPEG-2 file using the latest version of the entry-level video-editing software "Pinnacle Studio 8.5."
A regular in our list of benchmarks is determining rendering performance using Newtek's Lightwave 7.5, 3D Studio Max 5.1 and Cinema 4D XL 8.1. The latter of these software packages has just been updated; we have incorporated the latest version. We also ran the new Winrar 3.11 archiver to test how well the CPU performs when compressing files, a common application in the computing world.
The Sysmark 2002 benchmark was used to determine office performance. SiSoft Sandra 2003 SP1 was another standard in our benchmark repertoire. PC Mark 2002 is of interest to overclockers in particular in finding comparison values for overclocking performance.
- Maxed Out: Athlon XP 3200+ With FSB200
- Athlon XP 3200+: An End To Downward Compatibility?
- Athlon XP 3200+: An End To Downward Compatibility? Continued
- Zooming In On Technology: Thermal Power Loss And Voltages
- Zooming In On Technology: Thermal Power Loss And Voltages, Continued
- Memory Lane: History Of All The AMD And Intel CPUs
- Obscure Model Numbering
- Obscure Model Numbering, Continued
- Comparing All Athlon XP CPUs
- The Test Boards Up Close
- Test Setup And Details
- Benchmarks Under Windows XP
- Quake 3 Arena
- DirectX 8 Game: Unreal Tournament 2003
- 3D Mark 2001 SE
- MP3 Maker Platinum 3.04
- AV Encoding & Rendering: Pinnacle Studio 8.5
- Archiving: WinRAR 3.11
- CPU Rendering: Cinema 4D XL 8
- Office Applications: Sysmark 2002
- Office Applications: PC Mark 2002
- SiSoft Sandra 2003
- Conclusion: The Athlon XP3200+ Isn't A Hit, But A Paper Tiger