These next charts demonstrate the effectiveness of factory overclocking on Asus' GTX 560 DirectCU II TOP and Zotac's GeForce GTX 560 AMP! Edition. Two reference-clocked GeForce GTX 560s in SLI are also included.
In addition, we overclocked one of our GeForce GTX 560s past the factory setting to the highest overclock we could achieve stably. While doing this we made an interesting discovery. Mainly, the Asus GTX 560 DirectCU II TOP is able to increase GPU voltage through the SmartDoctor utility. This card's stock setting is 1.012 V, but this can be increased to 1.112 V using Asus' software.
While we criticized Zotac's GeForce GTX 560 AMP! Edition for its lack of GPU voltage control, we were surprised to see GPU-Z report a stock voltage of 1.142 V. This is higher than the Asus card allows through SmartDoctor. Because of this, we expect comparatively higher GPU temperatures and power usage.
In any case, 1000 MHz was the highest frequency we were able to squeeze out of GF114 at this voltage. With a slight memory overclock to 1125 MHz, we proceed with the benchmarks:
Both of the factory overclocked cards match stock GeForce GTX 560 Ti performance. Then again, with a £180 MSRP, they also end up priced pretty close to some of the least-expensive Ti boards.
Note that the highest overclock we achieved manually barely made any difference compared to the factory-overclocked models. From what we’ve seen, the GF114 GPU doesn’t make it past 1 GHz easily. So, the 925+ MHz factory overclocks come so close to the card’s perceived ceiling. We probably wouldn't bother overclocking a GeForce GTX 560 unless we bought it at Nvidia's reference clocks (which do seem to leave room for higher clocks).
- Meet The GeForce GTX 560
- Zotac GeForce GTX 560 AMP! Edition
- Asus GTX 560 DirectCU II TOP
- Test Setup And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Crysis 2
- Benchmark Results: Bulletstorm
- Benchmark Results: Metro 2033
- Benchmark Results: Lost Planet 2
- Benchmark Results: Aliens Vs. Predator
- Benchmark Results: F1 2010
- Benchmark Results: Just Cause 2
- Benchmark Results: H.A.W.X. 2
- Anti-Aliasing Benchmarks
- Overclocking And SLI Benchmarks
- Power, Temperature, And Noise Benchmarks
- Conclusion: Sans-Ti Fighter