Date:                January 29, 201

From:                FAI MARCO

To:                    ALL- FAI Employee

Subject:            Apple’s iPad Announcement

Dear colleagues,

On January 27, 2010, Apple launched a much-anticipated touch screen tablet computer product named the iPad.  As many of you know, Fujitsu has been marketing a product named “iPad” for years as a mobile retail appliance.  As this product is currently owned by Fujitsu Frontech North America (FFNA), they are the primary organization dealing with Apple over this trade market issue.

It has come to our attention that some teams are receiving queries regarding this issue and FFNA has asked that the following statement be used in response to such inquiries:

"Fujitsu is aware of Apple’s iPad announcement and the possible infringement on our trademark, which has been in use in connection with Fujitsu mobile retailing computer products since 2002.  We are currently discussing our options with our trademark counsel and have no further comment at this time."

If you receive media/press requests for comments, please forward the inquiries to the FFNA PR contact, [redacted]. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron Mitchell
Senior Vice President, Corporate Marketing

Stay tuned as we bring you the latest in the Fujitsu vs. Apple in the iPad name wars.

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the UK News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
  • 5 Hide
    Clintonio , 2 February 2010 00:33
    Go Fujitsu!
  • -1 Hide
    Square_Head , 2 February 2010 03:39
    Who cares? I mean really... are you going to confuse the Fushitsu model with the Apple? Lawyers already have enough time on their hands
  • 1 Hide
    Anonymous , 2 February 2010 05:29
    It kinda sux that apple just uses a name thats already in use.... There is a certain level of respect and etiquette that should come naturally to a person or company.... If a name is in use, dont use it..... But I guess Apple dont have the respect for other companies, or think they are above it.

    In Australia, the supermarket Woolworths has a new logo that looks like a green W in the form of an apple...

    Apple are taking them to court because they say its infringement..... Yet they go ahead and steal names that other companies already use....

    Just imagine if Sony started making TVs called iMac...... Apple along with its hordes would reel in anger and go on about how Sony has stolen the holy of holies!

    Yet Apple did it with iPhone and they did it again with iPad.....