Solved

Overclocking monitor fail on RX 580, works on Nvidia

Hi,

I have GTX1050 with viewsonic va2719-2k monitor connect via HDMI cable. With this setup, I could use nvidia setting to overclock the monitor to 80hz

I recently upgrade to RX580 but still use the same monitor, when I tried to overclock the monitor using Radeon software, I could only go to 61hz (far from 80hz). Anything more than that, the custom display setting could not be saved by the AMD Radeon software. The Radeon software tried to validate and fail to save, complain that the refresh rate is out of range (again, I got 80hz on same monitor, same HDMI cable on GTX 1050)

I have also tried to use CRU to add 80hz refresh rate, but when I go into windows 10 display advance setting, The 80hz does not show up in the drop down list. I know I need to select the checkbox to not hide the modes that monitor cannot display but it is greyed out, I already have the latest RX580 driver installed and windows show RX580 as GPU.

With better GPU but now i lost -20hz refresh rate

Any help is much appreciated.

https://support.parsecgaming.com/hc/article_attachments/360001451751/image__1_.png
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking monitor fail 580 works nvidia
  1. Maybe the pixel clock is locked within the amd drivers. I remember there is a pixel clock patcher for amd gpus which breaks the 165 mhz limit. I ve tried ocing my monitor using a sapphire rx 560 nitro and a sapphire rx 580 nitro but both failed beyond 61 hz, even when using the patcher. It could on my monitors end though
  2. Also try to toggle Gpu Scaling to off in Radeon Settings
  3. I have tried toggled GPU scaling, it didn't work.

I am out, will be able to try the pixel patcher later. Will report pack. Thank you for your prompt suggestion.
  4. I tried pixel patcher 1.4.6 from monitottests.com , I did limit found in a lot of components ( All of them) , installed it and restarted. Once I tried to overclocking the minute through Radeon, still get the same error "The custom resolution is not supported by this display"

I know it is not the monitor, had it running on GTX 1050 at 80hz.

Any suggest is welcome.
  5. The guy that made CRU used to be active in his forum. Maybe ask him there. He knows much on the subject. If you find the solution please update
  6. Best answer
    Tolis_GR said:
    Maybe the pixel clock is locked within the amd drivers. I remember there is a pixel clock patcher for amd gpus which breaks the 165 mhz limit. I ve tried ocing my monitor using a sapphire rx 560 nitro and a sapphire rx 580 nitro but both failed beyond 61 hz, even when using the patcher. It could on my monitors end though

Your mentioning about "Pixel Clock" and "Locked" gave me something to work further. I initially tried Pixel Patcher 1.4.6 and it did find "Limit" in all of the components. However installed it did NOT update those limits, the Maximum TMDS Clock was still 250Mhz whereas it should have been upated to 350Mhz or whatever needed for your resolution and frequency.

I manually updated the Maximum TMDS using CRU's extionsion block under HDMI Support to be hgher than value needed for my resolution and refresh rate, restart then Wa-Lah the 80hz show up in Advance Display Setting for selection.

Point to note, I find it is safer to add the higher refresh rate using CRU and make sure it show up in Advance Display Setting and use that rather than using Radeon Software. The Radeon will let you set as high refresh rate as the monitor can display (after you increase the Maximum TMDS) but when you restart the computer, if the higher refresh rate is not in the Advance Display Setting , the monitor should showed "Out of Range" and stay black screen. I had to get another monitor to fix this.

Use different monitor and delete "Out of Range" monitor setting in CRU.

Hope this is useful to others AMD users :)

Thank you Tolis_GR

7. Glad it worked for you. Test the monitor for frame skipping too. In my case, i think the monitor is factory locked, i had tried so many different combinations in CRU to no avail.
  8. How do you test frame skipping? I just use UFO test.
  9. UFO test should be fine
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Monitors