Solved

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool not working! Error code 0x80042405 - 0xA001A

Recently, my Windows 10 PC failed to start. Various sources suggested I use installation media to attempt to fix it, so I went on my also Windows 10 laptop with a 32gb USB drive to fix it. I used the Media Creation tool found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
However, I get to about 40% into creating the installation media, and then got the error message shown here: https://i.imgur.com/L02Fo0b.png
As far as I know, this is the only way I can fix my PC, so I really need it to work. If additional info is needed, I'll respond as fast as possible. Please help!

EDIT: It just randomly worked! Thanks for trying to help, USAFRet!

Yes, I have tried running the program from the USB. It didn't work.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows media creation tool working error code 0x80042405 0xa001a
  1. Your laptop with the tiny 32GB drive probably does not have enough free space to create the Win 10 USB.
  2. USAFRet said:
    Your laptop with the tiny 32GB drive probably does not have enough free space to create the Win 10 USB.

Isn't the minimum size to make installation media 8GB? Also, last time I had a similar problem, I used a 32GB drive and it worked fine. (I'm not using the same one because the data somehow got corrupted since the last time I used it.)
  3. Best answer
    Evowstf said:
    USAFRet said:
    Your laptop with the tiny 32GB drive probably does not have enough free space to create the Win 10 USB.

Isn't the minimum size to make installation media 8GB? Also, last time I had a similar problem, I used a 32GB drive and it worked fine. (I'm not using the same one because the data somehow got corrupted since the last time I used it.)

Oh...I thought you meant your laptop had a 32GB 'hard drive' in it.
    One of mine does.

Yes..an 8GB USB stick is fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Various Error Message USB Drive