i5 7600k overclocking help

So last night as I was able to maunally overclock my CPU to a stable 4.5ghz at 1.25v, or so I thought. I did some stress tests (Prime95 and Intel Burn Test) they all worked and passed but as I went to play PUBG my computer crashed. First crash happened right after I landed on the ground from the plane and the second crash happened 10 mins later after I booted my pc back up and as I was spectating my partner in game. After each restart I get this message from Cam software saying my CPU has reached 178 F and prolonged temps will harm the cpu. That confused me alot because as I ran Intel Burn Test (20 times on Very High stress level) the VID stayed below 80 C as well as every core on HWmonitor and CPU-Z readings with all passing tests and as I tested with Prime 95, the temps went up a few degrees but nothing over 80 C and none of the cores nor testing failed but I still get the crashes (only in PUBG, web surfing and idle is fine). So, after crashing twice I went back into BIOS and instead of manually overclocking I just used the auto-overclock with my mobo and it still crashes after booting PUBG. By this time I don't know what's going on? Could it be that since I've been tinkering with the mhz and voltages for about 3 hours and ran plenty of stress test in between and then started PUBG, that the cpu was already too hot from the stress tests? If that was case then wouldn't I have seen the temps rise when I was conducting the stress tests? Am I right? I mean I finished running the stress tests possibly 20-30 mins before I actually started to play PUBG so could that have been it? But how come I didn't see any dangerous temps (above 80 C) when stress testing? I just don't know! So I went back and reverted to stock settings and guess what? PUBG played flawlessly and never crashed again. What am I doing wrong? Could it have just been PUBG? I haven't tried any other games either. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has had this problem before. TIA.
Reply to plee1987
4 answers Last reply
More about 7600k overclocking
  1. Seems like its pubg. Try another game. Something demanding.
    Reply to Dulith1118
  2. Dulith1118 said:
    Seems like its pubg. Try another game. Something demanding.

I will try witcher 3 and mad max when I get home.
    Reply to plee1987
  3. Lowered to 4.4ghz at 1.25v and this seems the most stable...
    Reply to plee1987
  4. Did some more tinkering! Got it to be stable at 4.7ghz 1.25v; prime 95 fails miserably but all games runs flawlessly and temps never goes over 70C so I'm going to leave it at that. I definetly noticed a 10 to 15 fps increase on PUBG. Probably will try to go 4.8ghz and see what happens there.
    Reply to plee1987
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking CPUs Intel i5