Building my first PC

i'm building my first pc and i want your suggestions on the parts i chooses and if there is better with the same price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VX9cCb
here are the specs i picked :
1.Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor
2.Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
3.MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
4.G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
5.Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
6.Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
7.MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card
8.Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply.

i haven't picked a case because i will buy it locally if you guys have any suggestion i'm all ear.
9 answers Last reply
More about building
  1. What's your intended use-case for the rig? Would appear to be gaming?

    Honestly, if you can wait; now is a horrible time to build a gaming rig. That 1060 alone should be ~$300, not $400-$500.

    Some comments though:
    1. The 212EVO is a little bit underwhelming these days, the Cryorig H7 is a better performer (still a 'budget' cooler), smaller and very similar in price.

    2. Intel rigs, outside of a few select workloads, don't benefit from the faster memory the same way Ryzen does. If you're paying substantially more for 3200MHz vs 2400-2666MHz, then opt for the lower clocked RAM. If similar money, 3200MHz certainly isn't going to hurt.

    3. 2x8GB would be 'ideal' for a gaming rig, if budget allows.

    4. A 120GB SSD fills up fast, and requires a lot of time managing your storage. While in theory, it's fine.... in practice, it becomes a real pain; fast.
    Opt for a minimum of 240GB for your SSD.

    5. The PSU is solid enough, but unless you find it on a good sale (and depending on your specific location), there are usually much better options for similar money.
  2. Barty1884 said:
    What's your intended use-case for the rig? Would appear to be gaming?

    Honestly, if you can wait; now is a horrible time to build a gaming rig. That 1060 alone should be ~$300, not $400-$500.

    Some comments though:
    1. The 212EVO is a little bit underwhelming these days, the Cryorig H7 is a better performer (still a 'budget' cooler), smaller and very similar in price.

    2. Intel rigs, outside of a few select workloads, don't benefit from the faster memory the same way Ryzen does. If you're paying substantially more for 3200MHz vs 2400-2666MHz, then opt for the lower clocked RAM. If similar money, 3200MHz certainly isn't going to hurt.

    3. 2x8GB would be 'ideal' for a gaming rig, if budget allows.

    4. A 120GB SSD fills up fast, and requires a lot of time managing your storage. While in theory, it's fine.... in practice, it becomes a real pain; fast.
    Opt for a minimum of 240GB for your SSD.

    5. The PSU is solid enough, but unless you find it on a good sale (and depending on your specific location), there are usually much better options for similar money.


    yes i want for gaming and i want to wait but want to play as soon as possible as well, hmm so will it be a good idea to downgrade from 3200mhz to 2600mhz and see if i can squeeze in a 2x8GB ram ? i know the ssd is too little but i kinda want for windows so the pc can load up fast and better. thank you
  3. Ditto above.

    I'd just add. If you have a Microcenter nearby. They may have a GTX 1060 6GB at a not so insane price of $380. The two stores near me each have 20+ in stock (walk in only). So, check with yours. $380 is still about $100 too high. At least it is not as bad as online retailers.

    Microcenter also has awesome deals on Motherboard and CPU bundles. Other parts prices are often pretty competitive.

    They also have the Radeon Rx 580 8GB at $380.

    If you have a Fry's electronics near by. Check with them as well.
  4. velocityg4 said:
    Ditto above.

    I'd just add. If you have a Microcenter nearby. They may have a GTX 1060 6GB at a not so insane price of $380. The two stores near me each have 20+ in stock (walk in only). So, check with yours. $380 is still about $100 too high. At least it is not as bad as online retailers.

    Microcenter also has awesome deals on Motherboard and CPU bundles. Other parts prices are often pretty competitive.

    They also have the Radeon Rx 580 8GB at $380.

    If you have a Fry's electronics near by. Check with them as well.


    xD here is the problem i live in the middle east specifically in Saudi Arabia and non of these stores are around
  5. messenger782 said:

    yes i want for gaming and i want to wait but want to play as soon as possible as well, hmm so will it be a good idea to downgrade from 3200mhz to 2600mhz and see if i can squeeze in a 2x8GB ram ? i know the ssd is too little but i kinda want for windows so the pc can load up fast and better. thank you


    By the way. The Core i5-8400 includes an adequate heatsink. Unless your case has poor ventilation or you will be using it in an non climate controlled environment. You don't need to by an aftermarket heatsink.

    You can save money not buying the Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. If it is a choice between 16GB RAM or an optional heatsink. I'd take the 16GB RAM first. You can always add an aftermarket heatsink later. If you want to do so. To reduce noise and reduce CPU temperature.
  6. Ok so listening to your guys tips i made changes to some of the things you told me about and i got to add a monitor as well so here is the link to pcpart

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PZzhP3
  7. messenger782 said:
    Ok so listening to your guys tips i made changes to some of the things you told me about and i got to add a monitor as well so here is the link to pcpart

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PZzhP3


    Everything except the power supply looks good. That PSU is an extremely low quality Tier 5 unit. Try to get at least a Tier 3 PSU.
    PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
  8. velocityg4 said:
    messenger782 said:
    Ok so listening to your guys tips i made changes to some of the things you told me about and i got to add a monitor as well so here is the link to pcpart

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PZzhP3


    Everything except the power supply looks good. That PSU is an extremely low quality Tier 5 unit. Try to get at least a Tier 3 PSU.
    PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

    ok so i added a tier 3 psu which is Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
  9. messenger782 said:

    ok so i added a tier 3 psu which is Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply


    You should be good to go. I assume you already have a case to put it all in.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Core PC Builds Gaming PC gaming