Should I upgrade my computer

I have a PC from 2011 that is a Z400 Hp workstation. Nothing is up gradable except the GPU and the hard drive. I have a EVGA 1050 Ti SSC in it now. The current processor is a Intel Xeon W3565. My question is should I upgrade everything by building a new computer? Would it be worth it? My older brother says that it is just fine and is good. Is that true? My plan is build a new pC and just use my 1050 Ti. Then later when GPU prices hopefully go down just then buy a great GPU and be set for a while. I'm trying to future proof it so when I go to college I won't have to worry about any major upgrades.

Thank You
15 answers Last reply
More about upgrade computer
  1. Well, it depends on what you want to do on it, for gaming it's probably fine, but that Xeon is getting pretty old right now. If you have money to blow take out the 1050 and build another rig, but it's most likely fine unless your doing heavy CPU based work
  2. jacobweaver800 said:
    Well, it depends on what you want to do on it, for gaming it's probably fine, but that Xeon is getting pretty old right now. If you have money to blow take out the 1050 and build another rig, but it's most likely fine unless your doing heavy CPU based work

The problem is my parents are convinced they is nothing even close to wrong with my computer. I'e told them that I want to build a new PC for college. So I would be fine for the next 3+ years. They think that my computer would do just fine. Even today my computer had trouble reading my hard drive and one of my ram sticks stopped working. Any ideas on how to convince them that it would be a good idea to build a new PC.

Thanks
  3. If your HDD isn't working right and your ram isn't detecting right it's time for a new pc, I don't care what your parents say, it's about time to upgrade. Grab that 1050 and get like an i5 or i7 6th 7th or 8th gen and 16gbs ram if you can afford it, a 1-6 tb hard drive and a decent watt psu
  4. jacobweaver800 said:
    If your HDD isn't working right and your ram isn't detecting right it's time for a new pc, I don't care what your parents say, it's about time to upgrade. Grab that 1050 and get like an i5 or i7 6th 7th or 8th gen and 16gbs ram if you can afford it, a 1-6 tb hard drive and a decent watt psu

Not to get confused. My Hard drive is not unreadable it just often takes multiple computer boot ups for it to be able to boot windows off of it. I used a hard drive testing app and it said that my HDD was in good condition. My brother thinks that my motherboards port that connects the sata cable to HDD could be having problems. The other thing is whenever I put ram into one of the slots. It won't even let me boot windows no matter what. After what I just said do you think that I should still upgrade?

Thank You
  5. Yeah, it sounds like your using some pretty old hardware that could give at any moment. Better to have a good working system built now then have this die when you need it most
  6. jacobweaver800 said:
    Yeah, it sounds like your using some pretty old hardware that could give at any moment. Better to have a good working system built now then have this die when you need it most

Any ideas on how to convince my parents. My brother has kind of told them that my computer is fine. Even when I told him about the problems. he said oh wait until spring break when I get home and I will diagnose the problem and we will figure it out. Even though he said that the motherboard and ram slots could be having issues. So any thoughts on how to convince them. I low key thought about breaking my motherboard some how and being subtle. Not really though

Thanks
  7. Your using a pc that is very old, and since your going to college you need a pc that works all the time and won't break down. You can easily build a pc for cheap, you already have a GPU, and you might be able to salvage ram and a psu from your old system
  8. jacobweaver800 said:
    Your using a pc that is very old, and since your going to college you need a pc that works all the time and won't break down. You can easily build a pc for cheap, you already have a GPU, and you might be able to salvage ram and a psu from your old system

The GPU being out of the way is a huge money saver since I got it for 129 and now it's 280+. The power supply is useless because it's a pre built work station. But I can get the rest for under 590 with a i5 8600k and a solid SSD. Also I have well over $1000. Oh one other question. If I use the hard from my old PC on a new one will windows 10 transfer over to the new one when I use the same HDD. I've heard that the os is bound to the motherboard though
  9. The os can be system locked but maybe not, it might be in your case, and if your getting an ssd your going to want that for your boot drive anyways
  10. jacobweaver800 said:
    The os can be system locked but maybe not, it might be in your case, and if your getting an ssd your going to want that for your boot drive anyways

If it isn't locked to the computer how would I move the os from the HDD to the ssd
  11. Easiest way is to get your win10 product key and do a fresh install in the ssd
  12. jacobweaver800 said:
    Yeah, it sounds like your using some pretty old hardware that could give at any moment. Better to have a good working system built now then have this die when you need it most

My brother just recommended that i get a xeon w3690 to boost my computer. We also found out that the mobo and harddrive are fine. What do you think. Get the xeon or upgrade to a new rig
  13. If you have the money, it would't be a bad idea to upgrade to a new rig, however the Xeon you showed me should be a pretty good Xeon chip. It is 6 cores and 12 threads so it should be plenty for gaming, coding, or streaming needs. If you don't want to build a new system yet, it's looking like its a better idea to get the 6 core Xeon. Just make sure you clean your system inside and out before replacing the chip, and use really good thermal paste like IC Diamond or Thermal Grizzly
  14. cageschiess01 said:

If it isn't locked to the computer how would I move the os from the HDD to the ssd

Where did your Win 10 come from?
  15. cageschiess01 said:
    jacobweaver800 said:
    The os can be system locked but maybe not, it might be in your case, and if your getting an ssd your going to want that for your boot drive anyways

And moving to the SSD depends on a few things.

What is the size of the new SSD?
    How much total space is consumed on your current drive?

It needs to be significantly smaller than the size of the SSD.
    For instance...going into a 250GB SSD, it needs to be below 200GB.

Otherwise, clean install on the new drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Computers