CSGO 300+ fps question

Hello,

I'm having trouble consistently getting 300 fps in csgo. Here is my setup:

z97a
gtx 1060
8gb ram
i7 4790k
500gb ssd

I've messed with almost every nvidia and windows related performance setting, so I'm wondering if I should modify bios settings or consider overclocking? I'd like to point out that I get better fps at a higher resolution with higher settings. When I go down to 1024x768 with all graphics settings on low I get much lower fps. I've read that it's a CPU intensive game which is making me wonder if I should OC my CPU. Any thoughts would be helpful! And before you all tell me that I don't need 300 fps in csgo, I'd like to say that I'm going to try to figure out how to get it one way or another.
Reply to miker0mg
12 answers Last reply
More about csgo 300 fps question
  1. miker0mg said:
    Hello,

I'm having trouble consistently getting 300 fps in csgo. Here is my setup:

z97a
    gtx 1060
    8gb ram
    i7 4790k
    500gb ssd

I've messed with almost every nvidia and windows related performance setting, so I'm wondering if I should modify bios settings or consider overclocking? I'd like to point out that I get better fps at a higher resolution with higher settings. When I go down to 1024x768 with all graphics settings on low I get much lower fps. I've read that it's a CPU intensive game which is making me wonder if I should OC my CPU. Any thoughts would be helpful! And before you all tell me that I don't need 300 fps in csgo, I'd like to say that I'm going to try to figure out how to get it one way or another.

I'm going to give you tips but I would be intrigued to know why you would want 300fps in the first place?

First of all you must understand that as the settings and resolution of games get lower, the GPU does not need to work as hard to push out the frames to the monitor. This means your GPU is likely not anywhere near 100% usage and therefore is not pushing out your desired framerate.

OC'ing wont make much of a noticeable difference if the GPU is already allowing itself to lower its clockspeeds as CSGO is really not intensive at all hence why it is not working as hard and in all honesty if you just want to overclock to get your 300fps and you dont fully know how to do it safely then noone will be sympathetic if something went wrong.

BIOS settings are also a no go as there really is nothing of value to your position within the BIOS. Honestly if you want that very specific amount of frames in CS then either get new hardware or mess around until you find the perfect balance between resolution and settings.

I'm not going to tell you that you dont need 300fps but I would like to know why :P
    Reply to shanetemple14
  2. you dont need 300 fps... the games fps is based on the packet data so its hard limited to 128 original frames.
    as the game produces a max of 128 packets.(note you have to manually set the *rate* higher to get the max packet count) all the other frames above that are double frames created by the previous frames packet data.
    Reply to HEXiT
  3. I am going to tell you that you don't need it, and this is a pointless exercise.
    Reply to King_V
  4. King_V said:
    I am going to tell you that you don't need it, and this is a pointless exercise.

While I agree, I still wanted to give him/her the information.
    Reply to shanetemple14
  5. Nothing wrong with giving the info as far as I'm concerned. I just think it's insanity.
    Reply to King_V
  6. miker0mg said:

I'm going to give you tips but I would be intrigued to know why you would want 300fps in the first place?

First of all you must understand that as the settings and resolution of games get lower, the GPU does not need to work as hard to push out the frames to the monitor. This means your GPU is likely not anywhere near 100% usage and therefore is not pushing out your desired framerate.

OC'ing wont make much of a noticeable difference if the GPU is already allowing itself to lower its clockspeeds as CSGO is really not intensive at all hence why it is not working as hard and in all honesty if you just want to overclock to get your 300fps and you dont fully know how to do it safely then noone will be sympathetic if something went wrong.

BIOS settings are also a no go as there really is nothing of value to your position within the BIOS. Honestly if you want that very specific amount of frames in CS then either get new hardware or mess around until you find the perfect balance between resolution and settings.

I'm not going to tell you that you dont need 300fps but I would like to know why :P

Hi Shane,

I'm wanting to get my fps up because it's for one thing annoying me that it isn't as high as I'd like. Second in graphic intensive situations my fps is dropping low and things are getting choppy. Is there a way to keep my GPU closer to working at 100%?

Thanks!
    Reply to miker0mg
  7. HEXiT said:
    you dont need 300 fps... the games fps is based on the packet data so its hard limited to 128 original frames.
    as the game produces a max of 128 packets.(note you have to manually set the *rate* higher to get the max packet count) all the other frames above that are double frames created by the previous frames packet data.

Hahahaha people here just can't help themselves.
    Reply to miker0mg
  8. shanetemple14 said:
    miker0mg said:

Hi Shane,

I'm wanting to get my fps up because it's for one thing annoying me that it isn't as high as I'd like. Second in graphic intensive situations my fps is dropping low and things are getting choppy. Is there a way to keep my GPU closer to working at 100%?

Thanks!

If you want your GPU closer to 100% (which isnt ideal and theres good reasons why GPU's only work as hard as needed, but can be useful in some situations) then you must turn up graphics intensive options in the game. This means anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, texture, bumpmapping (fairly certain that isnt an option in CSGO, havent played in a few weeks), and ambient occlusion are all very GPU heavy.
    Reply to shanetemple14
  9. King_V said:
    I am going to tell you that you don't need it, and this is a pointless exercise.

Not pointless, gaming mice have their polling rate set to 500-1000hz, which is far higher than the refresh rate of a monitor. The point is that the more FPS you have, the more updates you can send to your game. If his FPS in a game is 300fps, then his polling rate on his mouse is essentially 300hz.

To gamers, it's very important to have the most responsive environment you can. His pursuit of FPS is not frivolous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0
    Reply to gtx78030
  10. miker0mg said:
    HEXiT said:
    you dont need 300 fps... the games fps is based on the packet data so its hard limited to 128 original frames.

Hahahaha people here just can't help themselves.

actually pal. people here that earned there badges know what they are talking about.
    look up what packet data is and how its used and you will see your pointing and laughing at the wrong guy.

the game updates itself via the packet data and creates a new frame from it.
    if theres no new packet data then the next frame will be the same as the last updated 1. resulting in a doubled frame.
    this is the reason why all the tech tubers couldnt see any difference in smoothness between 100 and 144 screens.
    the data packets weren't there, as most games send a max of 100 packets, thus topping out the true fps at 100.
    leaving up to 44 doubled frames.
    Reply to HEXiT
  11. gtx78030 said:

King_V said:

Not pointless, gaming mice have their polling rate set to 500-1000hz, which is far higher than the refresh rate of a monitor. The point is that the more FPS you have, the more updates you can send to your game. If his FPS in a game is 300fps, then his polling rate on his mouse is essentially 300hz.

To gamers, it's very important to have the most responsive environment you can. His pursuit of FPS is not frivolous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0

actually mate the polling rate has nothing to do with your fps... just the response time of the mouse to a click or movement.
    the higher the polling rate the quicker the mouse can respond to your movement the less input lag there is between you moving and what you see on screen.
    the game itself is dependent on packet data from the server for updates not how fast your mouse responds to you moving..

and listen to the guy in the vid... i believe. may be a placebo and so on... he's not actually basing his information on math or any real proof other than it feels smoother to him.
    in his case the reason it feels smoother is because when he lowers the rez to get more frames he's also increasing the games "rate" at which the game is communicating with the server, up to 128 times per second
    up from the normal 60 as cs:go communicates dynamically.
    Reply to HEXiT
  12. Beyond HEXiT's response, there's also the whole issue of dealing with the limits of the human eye not being able to perceive things at that high of a frame rate.... no matter how much some people might want to *believe* that they can.
    Reply to King_V
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Video Games FPS