Liquid Cool Existing or go for New Card?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or two, Budget £250

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: World of Tanks, WoW, BattleFront II

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GTX970 - 650W ATX PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU - i7 - 3770K
RAM: 16GB of 1333Mhz DDR3
MoBo: ASUS - Sabertooth P67

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: SCAN, overclockers, nzxt (UK)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer Nvidia over AMD

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never tried it) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (not thought about it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Currently using stock cooling, would like to run WoT at Full Game Settings and have 70+ FPS

Will using a Liquid Cooling Kit like the Kraken K10 be enough to cool the GPU enough to crank up the settings/overclock GPU or shohld I bite the bullet and buy a GTX1060 6GB?

Thanks for your comments.
Reply to gadget9871
5 answers Last reply
More about liquid cool existing card
  1. 1060 6gb isnt a huge upgrade.

What version of 970 do you have? As you can prob overclock just fine using the stock cooler. bear in mind youll prob only get 5-10% boost.
    Reply to RobCrezz
  2. WoT on max settings should run at 100+ FPS with your card and CPU even with the upcoming HD maps and new graphics renderer.
    like Rob said, 970 -> 1060 is not really an upgrade in terms of performance.
    Liquid cooling is fun, but not really gives you much performance over air cooling. 100MHz are not going to be noticeable.
    So keep the money for future or get something else like a 1TB SSD. Or just get drunk with friends if you old enough :)
    Reply to n0ns3ns3
  3. @RobCrezz - The card is a GigaByte Windforce 970

@n0ns3ns3 - WoT on full settings on my card will not get to 100fps, I already have WoT installed on a SSD, I think you are right tho, I may just save a little more and get a 1080Ti.
    Reply to gadget9871
  4. well, with GTX 1070 (which is about 20-30% more powerful than 1060) on 1080p with everything but (motion blur, grass and extra effect in sniper mode) maxed out, it runs at 118FPS locked while GPU utilization is about 73%. And I manage to keep over 60% WR for the last 4 years or so :)
    So there is no reason you wouldn't get over 100FPS. Your CPU, RAM and GPU are more than capable to do it.
    Reply to n0ns3ns3
  5. I wouldn't go 1080ti unless you wanna do something crazy a 1070 or 1070ti is probably all you would need.
    Reply to SugarPsycho
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking GPUs Cooling Alternative Cooling