How do I use HDMI audio in a z170x Gaming 3 motherboard?

Hello, I am trying to make use of the HDMI out on my z170x gaming 3 motherboard... I have no issues using my GTX 1060 for hdmi audio but then I run into issues with the false dual monitor...

If I plug it into the HDMI out on the board. It doesn't create any new options under Sound... I only have NVIDIA and Realtek digital (the latter appears to be specific to an optical cable only as it it does not recognize when the HDMI is plugged in)
Reply to kulharin
9 answers Last reply
More about hdmi audio z170x gaming motherboard
  1. HDMI Audio Out may be Disabled. Go to "Control Panel > Sounds > Playback" and right click on one of the devices and select "Show Disabled Devices".
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  2. It's not there even when I show disabled or disconnected devices. All it shows is NVIDIA's 4 HDMI outputs. Realtek headphones, speakers, and digital output... Nothing HDMI is listed at all other than NVIDIA... yet I have an HDMI output as part of the motherboard... Windows 10 does't seem the think it exists.
    Reply to kulharin
  3. kulharin said:
    It's not there even when I show disabled or disconnected devices. All it shows is NVIDIA's 4 HDMI outputs. Realtek headphones, speakers, and digital output... Nothing HDMI is listed at all other than NVIDIA... yet I have an HDMI output as part of the motherboard... Windows 10 does't seem the think it exists.

1. Do you have Internal Graphics enabled in the BIOS?
    2. When you right-click on your desktop and selecting Display Settings, does more than 1 connected display appear on the screen?
    3. Have you tried plugging 2 monitors into your GTX 1060 and running both monitors off the video card?
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  4. I had to manually enable the on board video card in the bios; it was said to auto and it was disabling it...

So I was able to get it to work, but not in the way I was hoping... I have to enable the intel internal graphics card, which I don't want to do. I just wanted to use the HDMI audio on the motherboard... I still run into the issue of the dual monitor... one being used by the internal card and my actual monitor being used by the GTX 1060... likely pointless and probably make more sense to just run everything through one graphics card rather than two?
    Reply to kulharin
  5. kulharin said:
    1.) It's set to auto
    2.) Nope; keep in mind the HDMI is going to an audio amplifier not a monitor or TV
    3.) No issues at all with the GTX 1060 HDMI with the amplifier or a second monitor... it's only the HDMI output on the motherboard that seems to be non-existent / not useable.

Is "Enabled" one of the options in the BIOS for Internal Graphics? I believe "Auto" would disable the internal graphics if an external graphics card is installed.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  6. Edit: copy from above!

I had to manually enable the on board video card in the bios; it was said to auto and it was disabling it...

So I was able to get it to work, but not in the way I was hoping... I have to enable the intel internal graphics card, which I don't want to do. I just wanted to use the HDMI audio on the motherboard... I still run into the issue of the dual monitor doing it this way... except one being used by the internal card, which is actually just my audio amp... and my actual monitor being used by the GTX 1060... likely pointless and probably make more sense to just run everything through the GTX 1060 rather than having two enabled?
    Reply to kulharin
  7. kulharin said:
    Edit: copy from above!

I had to manually enable the on board video card in the bios; it was said to auto and it was disabling it...

So I was able to get it to work, but not in the way I was hoping... I have to enable the intel internal graphics card, which I don't want to do. I just wanted to use the HDMI audio on the motherboard... I still run into the issue of the dual monitor doing it this way... except one being used by the internal card, which is actually just my audio amp... and my actual monitor being used by the GTX 1060... likely pointless and probably make more sense to just run everything through the GTX 1060 rather than having two enabled?

Yes it would make more sense to just run everything through the GTX 1060.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  8. Ok, that's likely what I'll do... the only difference appears to be be the surround sound options on the amp... with the HDMI going from the GTX 1060 the only surround option is PCM... with the internal intel graphics I can only select Dolby PL II or Neo6.
    Reply to kulharin
  9. kulharin said:
    Ok, that's likely what I'll do... the only difference appears to be be the surround sound options on the amp... with the HDMI going from the GTX 1060 the only surround option is PCM... with the internal intel graphics I can only select Dolby PL II or Neo6.

If you contact Asus Technical Support, they should be able to tell you if it's possible to get the HDMI audio on the motherboard to work the way you would like.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Audio HDMI Motherboards