Need help with buying new GPU

Hi, so I created account today because I don't really know where to ask for help. I don't know which GPU would be good for me. My specs are: i5-6500, 8GB RAM 2133Mhz, I play on Full HD and my current GPU is AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB. Games I play: World of Warcraft, League of legends and such, but I recently bought PUBG and I have fps drops under 40. My budget is around 250$ so if someone could help me, which GPU would be good, so I can play games at medium settings in the next 3 years or so. I was thinking about GTX 1060 3GB or 6 GB, or maybe RX 580 4GB.
Reply to alen.zebic365
6 answers Last reply
More about buying gpu
  1. Last I saw, PUBG runs slightly better on Nvidia, so I'd favor a 1060 there. Get the 6gb version if it's in your budget.

edit: Your 270 is on the low end of gaming cards for PUBG, that's why performance sucks on it in that game.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  2. 1060 6gb is better than the other two, hands down. I will get this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It can allow you to play most games ultra @ 60 FPS, some recent AAA titles may need to lower settings to very high.
    Reply to vapour
  3. The 1060 6GB would be an excellent option. It will last you probably 5 years and will give you very good FPS. If you can't afford the 6GB, then the 3Gb would work just as fine.

Hope this helps and goodluck!
    Reply to keatingscool
  4. Thanks all of you, looks like I will be getting GTX 1060 6GB, can't wait!
    Reply to alen.zebic365
  5. dontlistentome said:
    Last I saw, PUBG runs slightly better on Nvidia, so I'd favor a 1060 there. Get the 6gb version if it's in your budget.

edit: Your 270 is on the low end of gaming cards for PUBG, that's why performance sucks on it in that game.

PUBG may of exited Early Access but is still poorly optimized however a better GPU should help a little bit.
    Reply to WildCard999
  6. All of those games are CPU heavy. PUBG is notoriously poorly optimized, as well as WoW. Both prefer Nvidia GPU's though.

However your low fps will be attributed to a CPU bottleneck due to poor optimization. So you could get a better GPU but be aware that it will not solve all of your issues, if any.
    If you really can't stand the low performance, you would have to get a better CPU.

But if you really want to upgrade the GPU, the 1060 6GB would be best for the games you play. You could possibly get away with a 3GB for PUBG (I don't know enough about it to say for sure), and I know you could get away with as little as a 1050 (barely better than what you have) for WoW even on High settings maybe not Ultra, and you don't even need a GPU for League. All of that is assuming a refresh rate of 60Hz.

But again, it will only help so much. Those games are not optimized well so it's a CPU issue. League is just easy to run I get like 300 avg. fps on my 6700k wouldn't worry about that game.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs World Of Warcraft