Which graphic cards are compatible with P6T Deluxe motherboard?

I learned today that there are compatibility issues with the UEFI BIOS of modern graphic cards and old motherboards.

I have a PC based on a P6T Deluxe motherboard, flashed with the latest available BIOS version, 2209, which came out on 2010/11/09.

I was initially thinking of buying a SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon™ RX 560 11267-00, but I bet it won't work with such an old motherboard.

So which cards (AMD or NVIDIA) from the newest possible generation are compatible with P6T Deluxe?

Thank you very much! Wish a happy 2018 to evryone!
Reply to askingaround
17 answers Last reply
More about graphic cards compatible p6t deluxe motherboard
  1. You should be fine with any modern gfx card. They are all adaptable from legacy to UEFI now. Early on, there was some occasional issues with that.
    Btw, I used to have an Asus P6T (Xeon W3670) until very recently. It ran with any card I used. From older Nvidia and AMD cards to the latest models out now. There was, however, one AMD card that would not work with my Intel DP45SG board; a R7-360. But it worked on every other board I had at the time.
    Reply to clutchc
  2. clutchc said:
    You should be fine with any modern gfx card. They are all adaptable from legacy to UEFI now. Early on, there was some occasional issues with that.
    Btw, I used to have an Asus P6T (Xeon W3670) until very recently. It ran with any card I used. From older Nvidia and AMD cards to the latest models out now. There was, however, one AMD card that would not work with my Intel DP45SG board; a R7-360. But it worked on every other board I had at the time.

That's great, but I found out that there are no drivers for Windows 10 (currently I still run Vista X64) for P6T Deluxe. So maybe there are other compatibility issues too. It could be wiser to go for a full system upgrade.

For more follow this thread:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3556313/opinions-build.html
    Reply to askingaround
  3. Win10 will have all the necessary drivers in its database. Not to worry. I had Win10 on my P6T and never had an issue. I never downloaded any drivers from Asus for it. Win10 may load a generic gfx driver at first, but during the updates it will find one of the latest drivers for the device. Of course, you may want to install the latest gfx driver yourself from the gfx card's website.
    Reply to clutchc
  4. clutchc said:
    Win10 will have all the necessary drivers in its database. Not to worry. I had Win10 on my P6T and never had an issue. I never downloaded any drivers from Asus for it. Win10 may load a generic gfx driver at first, but during the updates it will find one of the latest drivers for the device. Of course, you may want to install the latest gfx driver yourself from the gfx card's website.

OK. Hopefully, the drivers issue may not be even exist!
    But I'm still a little bit skeptical about modern graphic cards. I see that none of the Sapphire RX 500 series cards feature a dual BIOS support.
    Maybe I should look at another manufacturer or maybe I should check Nvidia cards.
    Reply to askingaround
  5. Get something like an HD 7870 2gb for performance similar to the 560. Get an HD 7970 for performance similar to a 1050 Ti. Both these cards will be compatible. However they do use much more power, so make sure you have the power supply for it. A GTX 750 Ti is another possibility, and it uses low power.

Don't get hung up on 4gb vram. On cards of this level you will not run games at settings that require 4gb vram since the cards are too slow for that. A card with 2gb will be more appropriate.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  6. dontlistentome said:
    Get something like an HD 7870 2gb for performance similar to the 560. Get an HD 7970 for performance similar to a 1050 Ti. Both these cards will be compatible. However they do use much more power, so make sure you have the power supply for it. A GTX 750 Ti is another possibility, and it uses low power.

Don't get hung up on 4gb vram. On cards of this level you will not run games at settings that require 4gb vram since the cards are too slow for that. A card with 2gb will be more appropriate.

If I could make sure that a newer card would work, of course I would prefer to buy a newer one.
    I see here: http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-P6T-DELUXE/2472 that some users have GTX 1070 and GTX 1050 paired with ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard, but I'm not 100% if compatibility is GPU-wide or if it differs for the same GPU, according to each implementation.
    Reply to askingaround
  7. No one can guarantee a new generation card will work for you, that's why I offered some older alternatives. Those will be guaranteed to work, but older cards tend to use more power which is the main drawback.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  8. I've never had a modern Nvidia card that did not work on any of my old and new boards. And I've had more motherboards than a sane person should ever have owned. But I can understand your skepticism.

The last card I had in daily use in my Asus P6T was a Evga GTX 1060 6GB. (Photo for verification)
    So, any 10-series card should work for you.

And if you want to try something else, if you're a Newegg Premier or Amazon Prime customer, the return will be painless and free if it doesn't work.
    Reply to clutchc
  9. clutchc said:
    I've never had a modern Nvidia card that did not work on any of my old and new boards. And I've had more motherboards than a sane person should ever have owned. But I can understand your skepticism.

The last card I had in daily use in my Asus P6T was a Evga GTX 1060 6GB. (Photo for verification)

And if you want to try something else, if you're a Newegg Premier or Amazon Prime customer, the return will be painless and free if it doesn't work.

Does the EVGA card has a BIOS switch for legacy and UEFI BIOS, as AMD cards do (at least some of them)?
    No need for the photo verification... Of course, I believe you!
    I'm Greek and live in Greece. I don't know if Newegg even ships in Europe, but of course returns are possible for Greek and other European shops too, in case I order from another EU country. If I buy an EVGA card, I think I can order from them directly.

I have never used an Nvidia card before, but maybe it's time to try one. Anyway, Nvidia has the upper hand currently, at least for the high-end cards.
    Reply to askingaround
  10. No, I know of no Nvidia cards other than the older MSI GTX 750 Ti that has a BIOS switch. They aren't needed. That is all done in firmware.
    I wouldn't buy from Newegg if there isn't one near you in Greece. Surely you can find a gfx card retailer somewhere locally.

I think you're being too worried for no reason. There are ton's of old boards out there running modern cards with no problem.
    Reply to clutchc
  11. clutchc said:
    No, I know of no Nvidia cards other than the older MSI GTX 750 Ti that has a BIOS switch. They aren't needed. That is all done in firmware.
    I wouldn't buy from Newegg if there isn't one near you in Greece. Surely you can find a gfx card retailer somewhere locally.

I think you're being too worried for no reason. There are ton's of old boards out there running modern cards with no problem.

I think I will go forward with buying an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING, 04G-P4-6251-KR, 4GB GDDR5, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan) card.
    And I guess I won't have any issues with Win10 drivers...

When I buy and install the new hardware, I'm going to report the outcome.
    Reply to askingaround
  12. clutchc said:
    I've never had a modern Nvidia card that did not work on any of my old and new boards. And I've had more motherboards than a sane person should ever have owned. But I can understand your skepticism.

Installed the card but can't install it's drivers:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3616208/evga-1050-error-code.html
    Any ideas?
    Reply to askingaround
  13. askingaround said:
    clutchc said:

Any ideas?

You're running Vista? I'm really surprised there was still a driver for Vista. Did you download the correct one?
    Btw, if the card is producing a display, it is compatible. If it wasn't, you'd get no display.
    If my GTX 1060 worked on my Asus P6T, the GTX 1050 Ti should work on your Asus P6T.
    Reply to clutchc
  14. clutchc said:
    askingaround said:
    clutchc said:

Any ideas?

You're running Vista? I'm really surprised there was still a driver for Vista. Did you download the correct one?
    Btw, if the card is producing a display, it is compatible. If it wasn't, you'd get no display.
    If my GTX 1060 worked on my Asus P6T, the GTX 1050 Ti should work on your Asus P6T.

Evga has a Vista version available on its site.

In Device manager I see the card as "Standard VGA graphics Adapter" marked with a warning yellow triangle. I get error "Code 10". Maybe it's a vista thing and has nothing to do with the motherboard. I have ordered an SSD (Sandisk Ultra 3D) from USA. When I will get it, I will install Win10 and give it a try.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a Prime Z370-A and an i3 8350k. Maybe I will take that route.

By the way, I booted on Ubuntu. There I downloaded an Nvidia proprietary driver and it seems it installed correctly. But in some program, I can't recall which, maybe sysinfo, maybe Nvidia control panel or maybe another one,in the field where the model should appear, no specific model was listed.
    Reply to askingaround
  15. At this point, I'm going to have to agree; it may be a Vista thing. Have you run CCleaner in case it might be software related, or a registry issue?
    Reply to clutchc
  16. clutchc said:
    At this point, I'm going to have to agree; it may be a Vista thing. Have you run CCleaner in case it might be software related, or a registry issue?

No. I ran DDU though in safe mode before installation. I think that's enough for the drivers' part. I installed my old card and and I will try again to use the new card when I'll receive the SSD. Maybe, I will also buy a new mobo and a CPU. I lean towards that way now.
    Reply to askingaround
  17. askingaround said:
    clutchc said:
    At this point, I'm going to have to agree; it may be a Vista thing. Have you run CCleaner in case it might be software related, or a registry issue?

No. I ran DDU though in safe mode before installation. I think that's enough for the drivers' part. I installed my old card and and I will try again to use the new card when I'll receive the SSD. Maybe, I will also buy a new mobo and a CPU. I lean towards that way now.

I'd give CCleaner a run anyway before giving up. Something is keeping the card from being recognized. Might be something in the Registry. If the card produces a display, it is hardware compatible. The driver installation is a software issue. The fact that you are getting the message the "Standard VGA graphics Adapter" message simply means that it is using the generic Win driver. The card probably isn't compatible with the old Vista OS.
    Reply to clutchc
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

BIOS VGA Compatibility Motherboards P6T Deluxe