Can anyone recommend me a CPU that fits my motherboard that is equivalent to a 6600k

I have a "MSI 970 Gaming" Motherboard and I can't seem to a find a CPU for a good price (around £150-£200) that is similar to an intel 6600k, obviously that wouldn't fit my motherboard. But I am not a computer genius, I just know how to play on them. I am on a tight budget past that point but need as much help as possible. (If it comes to it I was thinking about upgrading my CPU and Motherboard to a Ryzen 1600x and a B350 Tomahawk but I need to know wether the motherboard supports DDR3 Ram, if not then I can't get it)
Reply to ethankillafellows
6 answers Last reply
More about recommend cpu fits motherboard equivalent 6600k
  1. No Ryzen motherboard support DDR3. And no old AMD CPUs is even close to 6600K performance.
    Reply to DRagor
  2. No AMD CPU on AM3 comes anywhere close to a 6600k in terms of performance. Best for AM3 would be a FX8370 (I am not including the FX9xxx series because they are notoriously unstable on many motherboards and require a huge investment in cooling) which in many cases is on par with an i3-6100 in gaming.
    Reply to Snipergod87
  3. Could you supply me with the information of a Motherboard that supports DDR3 and the 6600K then, because it's either I get an intel supported motherboard or I keep the shitty CPU I have..
    preferably around 75-100 GBP
  4. If you absolutely have to reuse DDR3 ram, then go with intel 4gen cpu - i5-4690(k) and 8/9 series motherboard (H81,B85,H87,Z87,H97,Z97).

Most i5-6600k motherboards support DDR4 and some support DDR3L. None support DDR3.
    Well - DDR3 can be used on DDR3L motherboard, but it will cause damage to CPU because of increased voltage.
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  5. I mean it all depends on price for me, I NEED a new CPU, the motherboard is optional etc. But If I can get a single stick of DDR4, i5 CPU and a motherboard for around £300 then it's perfect, if not a bit cheaper
  6. Because obviously if I get an intel CPU then I need a new motherboard because it doesn't suport intel CPUs but I just need a nice priced one.
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

MSI-Microstar CPUs Motherboards