The best PSU has the higher wattage, right?

Of course not. I just don't know why. I mean, a 500 W joint kicks more output than say a 400 Watter, right? Yeah, that seems right too. But I've been around here long enough to know that you can never just go by the numbers when we're talkin quality Brand componets vs store brand price savors.

That said, on my way to VR compatibility (just got the rx 480, now need a sufficient PSU) can anyone tell me at least some of the reasons I might consider passing up this brand new beauty even at the incredibly! astounding! 27.50 they're asking?

650W Watt ATX PC Power Supply SATA PCIe 120mm Single Cooling Fan Quiet 600w

WIN 10 64

XPS 8500
Intel i7-3770
450W PSU
AMD Radeon HD 7800/ Pending: RX 480
(RAM)16.0 GB
C:111 GB

D:177 TB
Reply to bytes2go
12 answers Last reply
More about psu higher wattage
  1. What's the actual PSU model?

A budget PSU may only be able to output a fraction of its total rated wattage on the 12V rail (which is where it really matters in modern PCs). A crappy PSU may not even be able to output its rated amperage on the 12V rail without going out of spec or blowing up (possibly taking other components with it).
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  2. You gonna pay 27.50 to kill your computer
    Reply to RCFProd
  3. If you want to make your gaming computer VR Ready then dont pay 27,50 because that will never give your gaming computer enough power and could damage it you never know.

Good PSU is 750W-850W Gold! yes could be abit pricey but atleast it will work !
    Reply to mdark690
  4. there are crap PSUs that claim 600W but only provide 300W on the 12V rail, which is the most important rail. a goodish supply will provide a vast majority of its wattage on the 12V rail. a 500 watt that provides less than 480w on 12 is a giveaway of an inferior unit.

I would rather have a high quality PSU of lower wattage than a crappy high wattage model that is totally lying about the wattage.

for your system I would suggest the seasonics m12II 520W evo as a minimum. CX550M (with the grey label, not the green), EVGA G2/G3 or the RM550X by corsair. listed low to high price usually.

a quality unit will kill itself rather tan let a dangerous current through to damage/destroy anything connected to it. cheaper units cannot say this
    Reply to R_1
  5. OMG! Unbranded/Generic!!! Just read that! OK guys, you got me. Here's the deal. It was on the big bidding site. Thing is there's all kinds of PSU deals and other stuff, and all these guys say they've sold thousands, you know the one I mean. But even passing that up I can only pay not a heck of a lot above that number, say 100 bucks. So being I can get a known brand around that figure, I dunno. What do guys think, is that possible?
    Reply to bytes2go
  6. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Rp8H99/corsair-power-supply-cp9020091na
    highest quality, 10 year warranty, averages to 9 bucks a year
    Reply to R_1
  7. Just noticed you have a dell machine. From what I hear they often have proprietary power connectors for the PSU/mobo, are you sure you'll even be able to swap in a standard ATX PSU?
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  8. First of all, my deep thanks to everyone of you who took time to come back. As always you guys always point a poster in the right direction usually saving him or her a few bucks in the bargain, My special thanks to R_1 and TJ Hooker. Good question, Hook, about the Dell proprietary issue. I'll find out and promise to post here with the result. Things go right, I'll be following up on R_1's suggested site.

Before I click out, had to laugh at this:"a quality unit will kill itself rather tan let a dangerous current through..." Now I know that it absolutely makes no sense, and I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone, but it's one of those statements you almost feel compelled to add.."that's what she said.". ;) Later all.
    Reply to bytes2go
  9. A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
    If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
    It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
    The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
    like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
    issues that are hard to diagnose.
    The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
    A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.
    Reply to geofelt
  10. Wow! geofelt, guess that says it all. Should be a stuck header under Components\PSU Thanks..
    Reply to bytes2go
  11. This, as a follow-up to TJ Hooker's questioning whether Dell comp's allowed non-Dell brand upgrades to the PSU. They in fact do, though there seems to have been issues with fitting the upgrade into the case. Here's a snip from a Dell support forum:

]"...Putting a new Powersupply into a Dell XPS 8500 is a bit of a trick. All ATX Power Supplies have about the same Height and width (150mm or 5.09" wide) and (86mm or 3.38" high). The problem is the Depth. How deep into your PC can it reach (extending towards the back side of your CD/DVD). Don't forget, you have that tiny sunken USB/Headphone jack thing midway.."

There more at Dell support for anyone wanting follow up for their particular model etc. Again, thank you all, guys, you've been tremendously helpful-.
    Reply to bytes2go
  12. ATX power supplies have a standard 150mm width and 86mm high.
    They can vary in depth from about a minimum of 140mm up to perhaps 180mm, possibly longer.
    I can recommend the Seasonic focus. It is fully modular and is compact at 140mm long.
    In comes in 550/650/750/850 wattage.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151186
    I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
    It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
    It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
    A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
    Reply to geofelt
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

XPS Intel i7 Radeon