My First Build. Opinions?

Hey everybody, I've been thinking for a while about building my own gaming rig, but only recently did I decide on what parts to get. You can find my build here.

If you guys see anything that I should change or anything that would be a better option, please let me know in the comments. I'm trying to make this a black and red oriented build, but color scheme isn't the utmost priority to me. Just to let you guys know, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. I made one exception though, I decided on a 650W PSU to help with possible future upgrades. Also I didn't add a CPU cooler because the Ryzen already has its very own cooler (I'm not planning on overclocking). Thanks guys!
Reply to Jloch98
11 answers Last reply
More about build opinions
  1. ram is not available, what is total budget?
    thermal paste is not needed, preapplied on the stock cooler already
    ssd can be cheaper, same performance
    case is fancy but bad airflow
    psu is ok, but can be better, 550 can support most upgrades already
    wrist strip not necessary, I didn't use it. Many claimed no effect.
    Reply to vapour
  2. It's a good build. That's a good idea on the PSU. It's decent, and gives you room to add more powerful hardware, and OC too.

The only things that really stand out for me are the arctic silver, which you don't need. I'm sure the CPU comes with a wraith cooler, and also, if you can stretch the budget to a Ryzen 5 1400/x, you will feel the benefit of the extra 4 threads, as games in particular are making more use of cores/threads. BF1, Destiny 2 etc. And AAA games coming. So if you can stretch that, you will see the value in it. The 1400/x has 4 cores and 8 threads. Now the 1300x with 4c/4t has higher stock clocks, but both chips can be OC'ed to roughly the same frequency even with the Wraith stock cooler.

The 1060 3gb is a decent card at 1080p. For most games it will max them out on ultra settings, as 'most games' don't tend to use more than 3gb of vram at 1080p. But that is changing. The aforementioned games and newer releases use upward of 3gb, so if your happy dialling settings back a bit for smooth 60fps game-play, then the 3gb version will be just fine, for a year or two. There are some games that are using the full allocation of a cards vram. So as an example, Titanfall 2, and Wolfenstein II Colossus can dynamically use as much vram as you card has. So again (and now I'm prob pushing the envelope of your budget) if you could stretch to a 1060 6gb, or RX580 8gb, that would be good advantage too for future gaming.

edit: oh, on the mobo, with red/black theme. I have similar taste and went with the Asus Prime B350 Plus. I love it. It's been a synch to OC my 1600x, and have had zero issues with it.
    Reply to keith12
  3. vapour said:
    ram is not available, what is total budget?
    thermal paste is not needed, preapplied on the stock cooler already
    ssd can be cheaper, same performance
    case is fancy but bad airflow
    psu is ok, but can be better, 550 can support most upgrades already
    wrist strip not necessary, I didn't use it. Many claimed no effect.

My total budget is $1000, but I would like to keep it below $850 if possible.
    The ram i just changed which you can find here
    As for the thermal paste, I'm still gonna buy it for future builds
    I didn't consider airflow when it came to the case, just thought the rgb fans would be pretty neat to have
    If a 550W is good then I'll go for that
    I've seen multiple videos saying that a wrist strip is good to have
    Reply to Jloch98
  4. keith12 said:
    It's a good build. That's a good idea on the PSU. It's decent, and gives you room to add more powerful hardware, and OC too.

The only things that really stand out for me are the arctic silver, which you don't need. I'm sure the CPU comes with a wraith cooler, and also, if you can stretch the budget to a Ryzen 5 1400/x, you will feel the benefit of the extra 4 threads, as games in particular are making more use of cores/threads. BF1, Destiny 2 etc. And AAA games coming. So if you can stretch that, you will see the value in it. The 1400/x has 4 cores and 8 threads. Now the 1300x with 4c/4t has higher stock clocks, but both chips can be OC'ed to roughly the same frequency even with the Wraith stock cooler.

The 1060 3gb is a decent card at 1080p. For most games it will max them out on ultra settings, as 'most games' don't tend to use more than 3gb of vram at 1080p. But that is changing. The aforementioned games and newer releases use upward of 3gb, so if your happy dialling settings back a bit for smooth 60fps game-play, then the 3gb version will be just fine, for a year or two. There are some games that are using the full allocation of a cards vram. So as an example, Titanfall 2, and Wolfenstein II Colossus can dynamically use as much vram as you card has. So again (and now I'm prob pushing the envelope of your budget) if you could stretch to a 1060 6gb, or RX580 8gb, that would be good advantage too for future gaming.

edit: oh, on the mobo, with red/black theme. I have similar taste and went with the Asus Prime B350 Plus. I love it. It's been a synch to OC my 1600x, and have had zero issues with it.

I took your advice and picked out the Ryzen 5 1400 rather than the Ryzen 3, considering that it's not that much more, and I can take advantage of the more threads I would have. I also changed my mobo to the B350 Plus like you said, cause the B350 I had wasn't quite as black/red themed as the B350 plus (plus I trust ASUS a little bit more than MSI). I considered getting the 1060 6gb, but the price difference is very large. The 6gb version is $100+ more than the 3gb version. I'm gonna stick with the 3gb because I'm a player that prefers performance over graphics. So if I have to turn the graphics down to the minimum in a game to get a good steady framerate, then I will. As for the thermal paste, I figured I would get it for future builds so I don't have to worry about it, plus its only a little bit extra to add.
    Reply to Jloch98
  5. After doing some tinkering and looking around for better options, I changed a few things. If you would like to see for yourself, you can find it here.

1. Upgraded from a Ryzen 3 1300x to a Ryzen 5 1400.
    2. Changed my mobo from MSI B350 Tomahawk to an ASUS Prime B350 Plus.
    3. Instead of using the Masterbox Lite 5 as my case, I changed it to the Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 which has better airflow.

I'm still gonna stick with the 650W power supply for future upgrades, and I'm going to keep the thermal paste as well for future upgrades or whenever I might need to reapply thermal paste. The extra peripherals (mouse, keyboard, mousepad) are just extra stuff I'll probably get in the future after I have already gotten the PC as a whole.
    Reply to Jloch98
  6. keith12 said:
    It's a good build. That's a good idea on the PSU. It's decent, and gives you room to add more powerful hardware, and OC too.

After looking more closely, I noticed that the Ryzen 5 1400 actually has a slower clock speed of 3.2GHz than the 3.5GHz of the Ryzen 3. I understand the Ryzen 5 has more threads, but I would think a higher clock speed would be more beneficial than more threads would.
    Reply to Jloch98
  7. Jloch98 said:
    keith12 said:

After looking more closely, I noticed that the Ryzen 5 1400 actually has a slower clock speed of 3.2GHz than the 3.5GHz of the Ryzen 3. I understand the Ryzen 5 has more threads, but I would think a higher clock speed would be more beneficial than more threads would.

yes, that's why i quoted the 1400x too. It has the higher clocks like the 1300x. It really depends on the pricing where you are. But with that said for me at least the extra few bucks for the 1400/x is much better value. Although you stated you don't want to OC, the 1400 and the'x' model will OC with ease in the b350 mobo's. The point being if you're happy to experiment and try OC'ing, then the 1400 is the way to go. If you strictly don't want to OC then I'd suggest the 1400x.

You are right, higher clocks do have a more direct impact, but certainly cores and threads are gaining importance too. An example would be if you were playing BF1. Your higher clock speed may get you 100fps (lets just say for the purpose of illustration). But the 1400 with lower clock-speed will get you 95fps, but a smoother experience (specially if you plan to stream, or record your game-play).

More cores gives a smoother experience in my experience. That's certainly not to say that mhz don't play a part, they most certainly do.

If you are interested in exploring a simple, but effective moderate OC of the 1400 (should you choose to get it) drop me a PM, and I will guide you through it. It would be painless, and give you the 1300x speeds that you wish :)
    Reply to keith12
  8. Jloch98 said:
    After doing some tinkering and looking around for better options, I changed a few things. If you would like to see for yourself, you can find it here.

3. Instead of using the Masterbox Lite 5 as my case, I changed it to the Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 which has better airflow.

I'm still gonna stick with the 650W power supply for future upgrades, and I'm going to keep the thermal paste as well for future upgrades or whenever I might need to reapply thermal paste. The extra peripherals (mouse, keyboard, mousepad) are just extra stuff I'll probably get in the future after I have already gotten the PC as a whole.

I like the update. Looks good. The final suggestion i'd make is plumping for 2400mhz ram. Ryzen can make good use of fast ram, up to 3200mhz. It has very noticeable effects. If you can get a 2x 4 kit @2400mhz (and that is the default spec for the ram for Ryzen - yes it will will work fine with 2133, but the default is advised to be 2400) i'd be going with that. Of course the problem with faster ram is the cost. Which is why i went with 2400. It was an extra 60 for the 3200 dimms i was thinking of and i was just out of budget. I wouldn't go lower than 2400
    Reply to keith12
  9. keith12 said:
    Jloch98 said:
    keith12 said:

yes, that's why i quoted the 1400x too. It has the higher clocks like the 1300x. It really depends on the pricing where you are. But with that said for me at least the extra few bucks for the 1400/x is much better value. Although you stated you don't want to OC, the 1400 and the'x' model will OC with ease in the b350 mobo's. The point being if you're happy to experiment and try OC'ing, then the 1400 is the way to go. If you strictly don't want to OC then I'd suggest the 1400x.

You are right, higher clocks do have a more direct impact, but certainly cores and threads are gaining importance too. An example would be if you were playing BF1. Your higher clock speed may get you 100fps (lets just say for the purpose of illustration). But the 1400 with lower clock-speed will get you 95fps, but a smoother experience (specially if you plan to stream, or record your game-play).

More cores gives a smoother experience in my experience. That's certainly not to say that mhz don't play a part, they most certainly do.

If you are interested in exploring a simple, but effective moderate OC of the 1400 (should you choose to get it) drop me a PM, and I will guide you through it. It would be painless, and give you the 1300x speeds that you wish :)

Thank you for the info, I greatly appreciate it.
    I've looked and there's only a Ryzen 5 1400, but no 1400x. There is a 1500x, but not 1400x.

I watched a YouTube video of somebody benchmarking the 1300x and the 1400 side by side. He tested the average and minimum fps of many popular games, some of those being very demanding games (like GTA V). You can find the video here. While there is a minor difference in fps, I don't think that small increase is worth an extra 20 bucks. (1300x is $130, 1400 is $150).
    Reply to Jloch98
  10. keith12 said:
    Jloch98 said:
    After doing some tinkering and looking around for better options, I changed a few things. If you would like to see for yourself, you can find it here.

I like the update. Looks good. The final suggestion i'd make is plumping for 2400mhz ram. Ryzen can make good use of fast ram, up to 3200mhz. It has very noticeable effects. If you can get a 2x 4 kit @2400mhz (and that is the default spec for the ram for Ryzen - yes it will will work fine with 2133, but the default is advised to be 2400) i'd be going with that. Of course the problem with faster ram is the cost. Which is why i went with 2400. It was an extra 60 for the 3200 dimms i was thinking of and i was just out of budget. I wouldn't go lower than 2400

Thank you for letting me know that because I did not take that into consideration (being a first time PC builder). As of right now, the 2x4gb of 2400 is out of stock, but the moment they are in stock on Newegg I will add them. They're possibly out of stock at the moment because it's Christmas season, so it doesn't surprise me.
    Reply to Jloch98
  11. Jloch98 said:
    keith12 said:
    Jloch98 said:

Thank you for letting me know that because I did not take that into consideration (being a first time PC builder). As of right now, the 2x4gb of 2400 is out of stock, but the moment they are in stock on Newegg I will add them. They're possibly out of stock at the moment because it's Christmas season, so it doesn't surprise me.

good choice. You'll have a very decent machine once complete. good luck and happy gaming :)
    Reply to keith12
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Video Games PC Builds Build