Yet another power supply question

Hi guys

I'm building a PC and I'm looking at power supplies now. These are the components I want to include:
MSI H270 GAMING M3 motherboard
i7-7700K, 4.20Ghz, Kaby Lake
GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB DDR5 192-bit
16 GB RAM (haven't decided on an exact brand yet)
a 2Gb HDD and a 240 GB SSD (again, haven't decided on the brand yet)

The power supply I'm looking at right now is the Corsair VS650

I don't plant to do any overclocking, SLI or anything of the sorts and I don't plan to put any LEDs. Just a simple gaming PC.

I don't really care about it being modular or not, but I've also seen the semi-modular Corsair CX550M, which is just withing my price range.Now that I think of it better, I have a feeling that the CX550M would be a better choice at least in terms of efficiency.

I've done some homework on power supplies, but I'd feel much safer if I got an opinion from someone more experienced. Also, sorry for not spending too much time looking over existing questions. Thanks in advance.
Reply to teopojar
15 answers Last reply
More about power supply question
  1. the Corsair CX550M will also do the job with your system perfectly
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  2. Hi teopojar,

May I ask which location/retailers you're purchasing from? It will help. It's clear you're on a budget, but here's some points to consider. I apologise in advance :(

- Firstly, you'll need to purchase a CPU cooler for your 7700K, it won't include one. You will save a little cash since you're not overclocking, still, a Cryorig H7/Scythe Kotetsu would be the absolute minimum I would buy.

- I'd suggest stretching your budget for a GTX 1060 6GB. 3GB just isn't enough. And for such a nice choice in a 1060...
    I learned shortly after my first PC build that paying the extra money in cases like this is the better option in the end.

- Are you planning to buy a 240GB SATA SSD? Or PCIe/NVMe SSD?

- Avoid the VS series at all costs. Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg) Far better quality Corsair PSU, 7 year warranty, cheaper than a CX550M after $20 rebate. 550W will be plenty, only go more if you find a good deal.
    Reply to Budge414
  3. Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Also better than the CX series, and 750W for the same price after rebate.
    Reply to Budge414
  4. Hi,

Thanks for the answer and also thanks for the cooler tip. That's something I haven't thought of yet. Yes, I am on a bodget, a monthly budget to be more exact. I'm building it piece by piece every month.

I'm from Romania and I'm buying most of it from emag.ro. It's kind of the main retailer around here, though there are a few others. Unfortunately, the TXM costs almost double that amount here and the CSM doesn't even show up in the search results. It wouldn't be beyond me to spend that much, but I'd still like to explore my options.

So the VS series is a no-no. Thanks for the heads up. What about the CX550M? Or maybe a different manufacturer... I must admit, I don't have too much knowledge in the power supply department. I chose Corsair out of instinct, so I wouldn't risk getting a PSU from a no-name manufacturer.

Also, I plan to use a SATA SSD. I know people would prefer PCIe, but I'm a bit old fashioned

Thanks again for the swift answer
    Reply to teopojar
  5. CX550M will do the job. But personally I'd purchase the Seasonic M12II EVO over it. Still enough power for your system if you don't want to break your budget, and still need the modular capabilities. If it won't cause space issues at all, this is notably better for your system:

https://www.emag.ro/sursa-fsp-raider-650-650w-pfc-activ-ppa6501915/pd/DJMT6MBBM/

And before anybody questions the FSP's quality, I would never suggest a bad PSU, I realise it's importance in a PC. FSP are an OEM manufacturer for some of the quality units you see available from the more common brands. Especially at the high-end.

To sum up, I'd be going for better rated efficiency PSUs if you can afford it, but at the end of the day you are not going to notice any major difference other than the price.

And also here's a reasonably priced CPU cooler that will cool the 7700K just fine since you're not overclocking:

https://www.emag.ro/cooler-procesor-arctic-racire-aer-compatibil-intel-freezer-i32/pd/DBN052BBM/
    Reply to Budge414
  6. Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I'll be going for the FSP Raider then. I can always replace it with something better down the road. That was my thinking with the graphics card as well. Get that for now, get a better one later and sell the old one.

Thanks again. This really helped :)
    Reply to teopojar
  7. There is a lot of misinformation here.

1. The CSMs are not better than the grey labelled CXM units.

2. The m12ii EVO is definitely not better than the CXM. It is a mediocre unit with an old design and poor protections.

3. Don't choose a PSU based on oem/brand. They all have their lemons. Always use professional reviews when available.

4. That FSP raider is worse than all the PSUs mentioned. Please don't go with it.
    Reply to Rexper
  8. teopojar said:
    Hi guys

I'm building a PC and I'm looking at power supplies now. These are the components I want to include:

I don't plant to do any overclocking, SLI or anything of the sorts and I don't plan to put any LEDs. Just a simple gaming PC.

I don't really care about it being modular or not, but I've also seen the semi-modular Corsair CX550M, which is just withing my price range.Now that I think of it better, I have a feeling that the CX550M would be a better choice at least in terms of efficiency.

I've done some homework on power supplies, but I'd feel much safer if I got an opinion from someone more experienced. Also, sorry for not spending too much time looking over existing questions. Thanks in advance.

The CX550M is OK I suppose, but still a budget unit, made more for workstation PC's same as the VS and I never recommend budget units for a gaming machine.

I would recommend:

Seasonic G-550W or the Corsair TX550M.
    Reply to jankerson
  9. jankerson said:
    teopojar said:
    Hi guys

The CX550M is OK I suppose, but still a budget unit, made more for workstation PC's same as the VS and I never recommend budget units for a gaming machine.

I would recommend:

Seasonic G-550W or the Corsair TX550M.

You can't compare the CXM to the vs, there are vastly apart in quality. I don't understand why you think CXMs can't be used for gaming builds. The are professional reviews testing it at a gaming load ( 250 to 300w), and it performs perfectly fine for the price.

Yes it's better to spend more money on a PSU, though that's not always possible.
    Reply to Rexper
  10. I gave information based purely on budget, and where OP is purchasing from. Actually check the website he's buying from first, then suggest something as pricing is very different.

I checked the Raider's reviews before suggesting it, the only issue with it I believe is its age, same as the Seasonic. I know it's not great but since it be under less load than a 550W I thought it would fine for the price.

I also suggested the TXM550 in my first post, but OP said it's double the cost which no longer makes it worth it.

OP - It's clear the best option here is to either stick with the CXM550 or stretch your budget for a better unit overall.

I can have another look at what's available tonight.
    Reply to Budge414
  11. Age isn't the problem. It's possibly a reason. Some of the problems with the Raider are the crappy voltage regulation, and ripple in the 12V Crossload which is what minders computers are using more of. The problems with the s12ii/m12ii are the not so good 12v Crossload performance and the poor protections.

Reviews for the raider:
    https://m.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/03/fsp_raider_750w_power_supply_review/9
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=310
    https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fru.gecid.com%2Fpower%2Ffsp_raider_ra_650%2F%3Fs%3Dall&edit-text=

OP, if the corsair CXM fits your budget, go with that. Also, I notice your system specs have a high end CPU (also, if you don't want to overclock I suggest going with non-k version), and mid range gpu it would be wise to stretch your PSU budget. After all, the PSU is the heart of the system.
    Reply to Rexper
  12. ^ (Sorry I can't figure out how to quote on mobile)

Thanks for the clarification, but mate none of those reviews are for the unit I suggested!

Firstly, you'll know well and truly as you touched on it before, that even within a certain manufacturer they have their lemons from model to model. That even carries down to the particular wattage in that series - some 650w are better than the 750w and vice-versa.

These reviews are for the 80+ Bronze model, whereas I've suggested the 80+ Silver:

https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/fsp-raider-650w-power-supply-unit-psu-review/

There was also a Hardwaresecrets review that gave it their Golden rating, although it was revoked, it still was a decent unit, just not the best, but that can be expected at this price range.

All in all its best to just avoid it for something newer and better. I'll list some more refined suggestions soon.
    Reply to Budge414
  13. That godfries review is pointless. The Hardwaresecrets review you mentioned is this I believe: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fsp-raider-650-w-power-supply-review/2/

Exact same platform as the reviews, and the Hardware secrets review also mentions them as a Bronze unit. Usually if two PSUs are in the same platform and series, their quality/performance are going to be similar.

That unit was recommended good value... 5 years ago by Gabriel. Though relativity/competition has changed, and those older PSUs weren't made for these modern system. For example it severely under performs in the cross load tests compared to for example the Corsair CXM
    Reply to Rexper
  14. It is a different review for sure, the page is longer available, which is what lead me to believe they've revoked or archived it. But it really doesn't mean much at this point anyhow.

It seems age is definitely a factor here after all, which is as good a reason as any not to suggest it. Because you're right, relativity and competition have certainly changed.

OP - You're back at square one. Which is the best place you could be, as your original choice in the CX550M is your best bet taking quality, availability and price into account.

If we all had just listened to nitinvaid20 in his response, some trouble could have been saved and your PSU would probably be on its way!

All in good fun anyway. Enjoy your PC whatever you choose!
    Reply to Budge414
  15. Thanks for all the responses. I have a clearer picture on PSUs now.

Ok, so this is what I'll do. I'll get the CX550M for now and I can always upgrade to a better one down the road. Again, it's not beyond me to spend something extra, but I've had some other expenses this month and I really want to finish this build. I'll get the CPU and cooler these holidays, hard drives and RAM in January and the graphics card in February.

Right now I'm using a Q9400 CPU, 4GB of RAM and a GT630. It still serves me well, but you'll understand why I'm eager to finish this project, even if there will be one or two pieces that could be better and I will definitely get better ones later on.

Again, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it and I will definitely come back if I have more questions.
    Reply to teopojar
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i7 Components