GPU Being to High Makes Card Stop Working

So recently i've been playing a lot of overwatch. Ever now and then my games crashes and says "Display Card has stopped working, but has recovered." I wanted to check to see maybe if my GPU was getting too hot. I check and sometimes I was getting High 80s-90c. Plus once I crashed once and I went back to play I would crash much quicker than if I left my pc cool off a bit. Could the Card possibly stop working because it's getting overheated?

Please help I love playing competitive, but people get mad when I disconnect.

GPU-MSI AMD R9-390
Reply to KalebB
2 answers Last reply
More about gpu high makes card stop working
  1. Yes overheating can be an issue, and those cards use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. Does the heat build up over time or does it ramp up immediately? You'll want to check ambient room temps, since a hot room=a hot computer. You'll want to clean out the computer and improve airflow. And you'll want to make sure your videocard cooling is working correctly.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  2. dontlistentome said:
    Yes overheating can be an issue, and those cards use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. Does the heat build up over time or does it ramp up immediately? You'll want to check ambient room temps, since a hot room=a hot computer. You'll want to clean out the computer and improve airflow. And you'll want to make sure your videocard cooling is working correctly.

The card gets reallly hot really quickly. The average house temp is about 84F, because it's super expensive where I live to get cold. I have two fans one ceiling and one floor blowing on my feet and/ half on my case. I have cleaned out the computer. How do I know if videocard cooling is working, the fans are on? If so yes they are on and i've tried turning them up all the way but that does nothing.
    Reply to KalebB
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Displays