What to upgrade first

So i am looking to upgrade my gpu but i was wondering if i should upgrade my motherboard and cpu first i am running an asus p9x79 LE with an i7 4820k ivy bridge and i am looking to get a 1080
Reply to StillZoned
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. seeing the CPU spec, it still pretty good

i think it can still handle GTX 1080 just fine
    get the GPU first, especially if ur main purpose is gaming :)
    Reply to constantine_99
  2. Your CPU is still very capable, just upgrade GPU, make sure you have enough power for 1080. Any good quality 450W+ PSU is enough. What PSU do you have? Also you may want to consider a 1440p 144Hz monitor, Gsync preferred.
    Reply to vapour
  3. vapour said:
    Your CPU is still very capable, just upgrade GPU, make sure you have enough power for 1080. Any good quality 450W+ PSU is enough. What PSU do you have? Also you may want to consider a 1440p 144Hz monitor, Gsync preferred.

would be best if he get 550++ though, staying around too close is not good imho :o
    based on the TDP itself the CPU + GPU already consumes around 310w, seeing it's a K CPU, he should be able to OC it..

i think it's best if he get a good quality 550 / 650w and a decent aftermarket cooler if he doesn't have one yet :)

agree with the monitor though, 1080 / ti would definitely shine more on 1440p, especially with the G-Sync
    Reply to constantine_99
  4. thanks for all the replies guys i have a 750 watt evga 80 plus bronze was running 970 sli but ima sell those cards for some upgrade money i forgot to add that ive been using this cpu motherboard combo for almost 4 years the psu is barley a year old though
    Reply to StillZoned
  5. Agreed your cpu is still classy and shouldn't be underestimated.

How much system memory do you have and do you have an ssd yet?

With the amount of vram the 1080 has you would want minimum 16GB system memory for extra buffering incase the games you play maxed out doesnt start dumping to pagefile.
    Reply to boju
  6. 750W PSU should be way more than enough for GTX1080.
    I also one of those guys, who moved from 2xGTX970s to a single GTX1080....hehehehe
    Reply to guanyu210379
  7. The 970 sli was good but the games I was playing weren't utilizing it also ive been lagging on getting an ssd
    Reply to StillZoned
  8. StillZoned said:
    The 970 sli was good but the games I was playing weren't utilizing it also ive been lagging on getting an ssd

MultiGPU setup is not exactly the best solution as always.
    Reply to guanyu210379
  9. i appreciate all the replies this is my last question if the opportunity arose should i get this same cpu if i found it new to replace or just use this until it starts showing signs of slowing down
    Reply to StillZoned
  10. your cpu is still close to top-tier, when you feel it is too slow, you can change to coffee lake/ice lake/canon lake then, just you will need new MB as well.
    Reply to vapour
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Intel i7 CPUs Motherboards