Computer freezing and crashing especially after entering a game

Hello there and thank you everyone in advance for taking some time to review my issue

My computer (the whole setup is one and a half year old):
Intel Core i5-6600 3.30 Ghz x4
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Enterprise (all updated)
I also have 2 monitors the secondary one is older and smaller

It's been couple of months since my computer started freezing and/or crashing (sometimes i have to manually restart it cuz its just frozen and makes a weird buzzing sound)

Usually it freezes after I start the first game of the day, but sometimes it doesn't freeze entirely and only does for a second or so then the game keeps on running but i lose like half the fps and dont get them back until I turn the game off and on again. It happened a few times while i was just watching videos or working in windows as well. After the restart it either: a) runs smoothly for the rest of the day no matter what I do I get good fps and no drops or freezes b) freezes again and restarts and then it runs smoothly for the rest of the day without any problems.

Steps that I already took:
1) updated all my graphic drivers with geforce experience
2) restored the system apart for some personal files
3) cleaned the registries with ccleaner
4) monitored the temperatures while running Prime95 and Furmark none of which managed to crash the computer nor did it raise the temperature on the GPU above 65 degrees celsius (cpu and rams were also fine) dont really understand the power supply numbers tho, so there might be a problem there
5) tried to change the in-game settings in various games none of which really helped

Thanks again for any ideas as to what might be the problem, obviously if its hardware related I can always take it back during the warranty period, so that shouldnt be a problem just need to know for sure.
Reply to marek.stichi
9 answers Last reply
More about computer freezing crashing entering game
  1. Issue sounds like a failing video card or power supply since you did a system restore and that did not help. You can try swapping the RAM or trying one stick at a time if you have more than one. If you can, test another video card in your system with the same power draw, try yours in another system, try another power supply.

You are saying the system is in warranty, did you buy this pre-built? If you did, the most likely thing would be a failing power supply, cheaper pre-built systems use low quality parts.
    Reply to hang-the-9
  2. hang-the-9 said:
    Issue sounds like a failing video card or power supply since you did a system restore and that did not help. You can try swapping the RAM or trying one stick at a time if you have more than one. If you can, test another video card in your system with the same power draw, try yours in another system, try another power supply.

You are saying the system is in warranty, did you buy this pre-built? If you did, the most likely thing would be a failing power supply, cheaper pre-built systems use low quality parts.

No I built the computer myself from separate parts and there werent any issues for the first year or so thats why it's doubtful imo its power supply problem. Unfortunately, I don't have another video card to use as far as RAM goes i have only the one 8gb stick. Do you think the problem could be software related?
    Reply to marek.stichi
  3. Single stick of RAM? Buy a second identical stick. Running your computer with only one stick of RAM, even if you were to put say a 32GB stick in, will be slower than running with two.

What power supply did you put in it?

Regarding the "older and smaller" secondary monitor, when I first built this computer ($3k!) I used an ancient first-gen-LCD Gigabyte 15" 4:3 monitor as my secondary. It was my brother's first computer's monitor from like...2000. It finally started to fade out, but between him and I we got 16 years out of it.
    Reply to Carnaxus
  4. Yeah, pretty much the same story with me I took the old 4:3 monitor from the old computer and just bought one new one its probably like 10 years old at least. Honestly, I've been considering buying new ram for quite some time feels like this one is not good enough for running some things. As far as the power supply goes I got help from some friends who understand that better and I am not really sure myself which type it is would have to ask him but since he has been building computers for years and never had similar issue I even remember him double checking whether the power supply is enough to run everything before I bought it.
    Reply to marek.stichi
  5. Do you know the model of the PSU at least?
    Reply to Carnaxus
  6. Carnaxus said:
    Do you know the model of the PSU at least?

Okay, did some digging and found it the power supply name is EVGA 500B here is the link if you wanna know some further specifications:

https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=2ce276c5-5365-4f2c-b61b-cbc3b08c16b3

also I was wrong about the RAM I checked and I actually have 2 x 4gb sticks not a single one as I previously stated
    Reply to marek.stichi
  7. Quote:
    Ready for 4th Generation Intel Core Processors

I believe I may have found the problem, we're at what, Generation 7 or 8 now?
    Reply to Carnaxus
  8. Carnaxus said:
    Quote:
    Ready for 4th Generation Intel Core Processors

I believe I may have found the problem, we're at what, Generation 7 or 8 now?

So you think if I just buy new power supply everything is gonna work just fine?
    Reply to marek.stichi
  9. I don't know about "just fine," but it'd probably be an improvement. Just be sure you get at least 80+ Bronze rating.
    Reply to Carnaxus
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Computers Crash Video Games Powersupply Games Systems Graphics Cards