Solved Closed

How to connect DVI-D/HDMI/Display Port gpu to VGA monitor?

I have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card which only has a HDMI port, two DVI-D ports and a Display Port. My monitor, which is a pretty old LG W2243S-PF from 5 years ago only has a VGA port.

I am planning on buying a new monitor anyway, but is there any way to connect them? I bought a HDMI to VGA converter, which I thought converted the digital signal to the analog signal, but nope it was just a "physical" converter which didn't actually let anything pass through.

I have seen a few converters, but they're pretty expensive - £40 for a cable?

So, is there any way to connect these without buying an expensive converter, and will it affect the image quality in any way? Or should I just wait until I buy a new monitor and not waste my money?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connect dvi hdmi display port gpu vga monitor
  1. Best answer
    You just need an active adapter should be able to find one for under 20 quid.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-VGA-Adapter-Active/dp/B003V4TV8O
  2. th3p00r said:

Every GPU maker "offers" at least 1 of these adapters, why would you need to buy another?
  3. th3p00r said:

Lkaos said:
    th3p00r said:

Every GPU maker "offers" at least 1 of these adapters, why would you need to buy another?

When gpus still had a ramdacs including a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter was common place but since their removal I am not aware of any video card manufacture that ship an active DVI-D, HDMI, or Displayport to VGA adapters with their cards.
  4. bignastyid said:
    th3p00r said:

Lkaos said:
    th3p00r said:

When gpus still had a ramdacs including a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter was common place but since their removal I am not aware of any video card manufacture that ship an active DVI-D, HDMI, or Displayport to VGA adapters with their cards.

You only need the DVI-D to VGA adapter, nothing else...That Monitor should have brought 1 D-Sub cable which would connect with the DVI-D adapter from the GPU or/and 1 DVI-D cable which would connect directly to the GPU...You can confirm this by checking the Monitor's manual.
  5. Lkaos said:
    bignastyid said:
    th3p00r said:

Lkaos said:
    th3p00r said:

You only need the DVI-D to VGA adapter, nothing else...That Monitor should have brought 1 D-Sub cable which would connect with the DVI-D adapter from the GPU or/and 1 DVI-D cable which would connect directly to the GPU...You can confirm this by checking the Monitor's manual.

DVI-D carries no analog signal, they are digital only. So DVI-D to VGA requires an active adapter to actively convert the digital signal to an analog signal.

Passive DVI-I to VGA adapters worked because DVI-I carries a digital and analog signal.

The GTX 1060 only has DVI-D ports. So the OP needs either an active DVI-D to VGA adapter, active HDMI to VGA adapter or active Displayport to VGA adapter I suggest getting whichever is cheaper.
Ask a new question

Read More

HDMI VGA Port Displays Monitors DVI D