Help with bottleneck

Ok so I need some help. I have a gaming PC, and I have some issues, and i need some help pointing me in the right direction.
So i think I might have a bottleneck issue. But Im not a computer wizard.
When I run some games i have flickering textures, shaddows, etc, it is far more noticable in things like fences, lines flickering etc.
So I monitored my gameplay with MSI Afterburner. And I saw that the CPU usage never got over 61%, but the GPU usage hovered from 78 and hit 98 as top, and I would say the average GPU usage was something between 84 to 94. RAM usage never got over 8803.
All drivers are up to date.
Games like Project cars 2 run silky smooth, but flickering occurs. CPU hungry games like DAYZ or a sim like American truck simulator has bad,BAD flickering and poor FPS.

Is my GPU holding my CPU back, or what is happening..?
Am I better off getting i7 6700k or 7800X and getting a GTX1080?


Specs

CPU I7 4790K not OC
GPU GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB
MONITOR AOC 144MZ
POWERSUPPLY 750W
RAM 16GB
MOBO Z97S SLI Krait Edition
Reply to CanisLupus
17 answers Last reply
More about bottleneck
  1. i dont think you got bottleneck anywhere, actually your build is pretty strong, i7 4790k is wonderfull, its strange youre having all these flickering problems, do you have any other GPU you could test with?
    Reply to silverfeather
  2. silverfeather said:
    i dont think you got bottleneck anywhere, actually your build is pretty strong, i7 4790k is wonderfull, its strange youre having all these flickering problems, do you have any other GPU you could test with?


    Yes I have a friend with pretty much the same build, and all his games look amazing, and do not have any issues what so ever, we stuck his GPU in, and the same thing happened. Flickering textures, and bad FPS on the same games. Strange thing is on his rig, graphics looks a little more realistic i would say, but mine looks just a tad more cartoonish to describe it a bit wierd. So I have no clue whats going on, maybe my rig is just a bit outdated.
    Reply to CanisLupus
  3. I second the dudes above recommendation, try a different GPU.

    The CPU wont bottleneck the card. The only card that would start to bottleneck would be a GTX 1080 while playing a multiplayer games like BF1
    Reply to Wayfall
  4. Maybe its the PCI-E slot?
    Reply to Wayfall
  5. CanisLupus said:
    silverfeather said:
    i dont think you got bottleneck anywhere, actually your build is pretty strong, i7 4790k is wonderfull, its strange youre having all these flickering problems, do you have any other GPU you could test with?


    Yes I have a friend with pretty much the same build, and all his games look amazing, and do not have any issues what so ever, we stuck his GPU in, and the same thing happened. Flickering textures, and bad FPS on the same games. Strange thing is on his rig, graphics looks a little more realistic i would say, but mine looks just a tad more cartoonish to describe it a bit wierd. So I have no clue whats going on, maybe my rig is just a bit outdated.


    do you monitor cpu temps and speed?

    use msi afterburner to monitor those, what are max temps while playing a cpu bound game?

    does the 4790k ramp up to its full speed? or is it stuck at low mhz?


    I recommend you use DDU to completely wipe all drivers and clean install the newest from the nvidia website
    Reply to maxalge
  6. Wayfall said:
    Maybe its the PCI-E slot?


    +1

    it could be this as well, and like @maxalge said, start monitoring your temps, could be overheating, actually it would explain a lot
    Reply to silverfeather
  7. maxalge said:
    CanisLupus said:
    silverfeather said:
    i dont think you got bottleneck anywhere, actually your build is pretty strong, i7 4790k is wonderfull, its strange youre having all these flickering problems, do you have any other GPU you could test with?


    Yes I have a friend with pretty much the same build, and all his games look amazing, and do not have any issues what so ever, we stuck his GPU in, and the same thing happened. Flickering textures, and bad FPS on the same games. Strange thing is on his rig, graphics looks a little more realistic i would say, but mine looks just a tad more cartoonish to describe it a bit wierd. So I have no clue whats going on, maybe my rig is just a bit outdated.


    do you monitor cpu temps and speed?

    use msi afterburner to monitor those, what are max temps while playing a cpu bound game?

    does the 4790k ramp up to its full speed? or is it stuck at low mhz?


    I recommend you use DDU to completely wipe all drivers and clean install the newest from the nvidia website


    During a two hour session I monitored

    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/8TIMtN.jpg
    Reply to CanisLupus
  8. Pretty normal that result
    Reply to Wayfall
  9. Agree, definitely not a bottleneck issue. The 4790k is still one of the best gaming CPU's around. Sound like a gpu/monitor problem. As you have already tried a different gpu can you try a different monitor and monitor cable?
    Reply to sizzling
  10. sizzling said:
    Agree, definitely not a bottleneck issue. The 4790k is still one of the best gaming CPU's around. Sound like a gpu/monitor problem. As you have already tried a different gpu can you try a different monitor and monitor cable?


    I tried. Tried two other monitors and cables, cleaned driver with ddu with no luck, so im starting to think it’s the GPU thats faulty
    Reply to CanisLupus
  11. What monitor? Have you tried your PC on your friends monitor and cable?
    Reply to RobCrezz
  12. yes we tried
    AOC G2460PF 144hz 1ms
    ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 1ms
    and BenQ Zowie XL2430 144hz 1 ms both with his and my cables, and i bought new cables just in case, it made no difference. we put my GPU in his PC, it worked like a champ. I know the 1060 is not the best out there, but in his rig it did not have the flickering, and that is wierd, the two rigs is pretty much identical
    Reply to CanisLupus
  13. Seems unlikely but the only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is a PSU fault. A PSU not providing cleanly regulated voltages can cause odd problems. What exact make and model is the PSU?
    Reply to sizzling
  14. sizzling said:
    Seems unlikely but the only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is a PSU fault. A PSU not providing cleanly regulated voltages can cause odd problems. What exact make and model is the PSU?


    it is Seasonic S12G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified
    Reply to CanisLupus
  15. I would do a full wipe and clean install of windows, with just the drivers and the bare minimum installed, just to confirm if it is a hardware or software issue.
    Reply to RobCrezz
  16. CanisLupus said:
    sizzling said:
    Seems unlikely but the only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is a PSU fault. A PSU not providing cleanly regulated voltages can cause odd problems. What exact make and model is the PSU?


    it is Seasonic S12G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified


    mobo bios up to date?
    Reply to maxalge
  17. The only bottleneck looking thing i saw happen with my old i7 4790K was in BF1 when my GPU couldn't huff anymore power past 90% but with a i7 6800K the GPU was at 99%.
    Reply to Wayfall
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Bottleneck Gaming PCs