Tom's Hardware Superposition Benchmark Thread

Noticed that there wasn't a Superposition thread on Tom's. So I'm starting one. The moderators will be sent a Google Drive link to edit the master table to update it when I'm not around or don't have time.

Some rules you should regard and keep in mind before you post:

1. Use standard Nvidia / AMD settings, especially don't tamper with the tesselation settings.
2. Post the screenshot, provided by the screenshot function of Unigine Superposition here in this thread for verification.
3. The only allowed tweak is overclocking. No driver tweaks please.
4. You can benchmark any preset, but 1080p Extreme is preferred as it will be the result logged
5. Please no redundant results eg. lower scores via lower clocks on the same bench someone already posted on
6. Please try to keep a low post count unless you have something important to say. No double+ posts.
7. Fake results will be ignored
8. This thread is community (non-moderator) maintained. Results are not always updated immediately.
9. Feel free to resubmit your score as long as it's 200+ marks above the previous score (usually within 5% of the previous). Any lower than 200 is within margin of error.
10. You will be notified via PM when your submission has been added to the master GPU chart. If you do not wish to receive a notification, just state so in your post.

Here's the master results table:

Here's my GTX 1070 score for Superposition 1080p EXTREME

Reply to EquineHero
110 answers Last reply
More about tom superposition thread
  1. Consider the suggested thread as started!

Here are some scores from when I first installed my Vega:

Pro Mode:

Game Mode:
    Reply to COLGeek

2. Was able to get a hair over 200 points more with a 1500Mhz OC on the old girl. Also had the fan cranked to 100% which explains the max temp of 56°C.

Reply to bignastyid

3. After some performance tweaks and a couple more tries:
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  4. Stock.

Overclocked: GPU 2113 Memory 5702 and no voltage adjustment needed. +212 points.

2113 GPU and 5940 Memory (No voltage adjustment)
    Reply to jankerson
  5. System was stock for this.

Reply to anort3
  6. Resubmission. GPU 2113 Memory 5702

Reply to jankerson
  7. jankerson said:
    Resubmission. GPU 2113 Memory 5702

Just had to be first in everything, huh?
    Reply to EquineHero
  8. EquineHero said:
    jankerson said:
    Resubmission. GPU 2113 Memory 5702

Just had to be first in everything, huh?

LOL :D

When I was doing runs there really wasn't much difference in scores on my system, sometimes within a point or 2. It was consistent like 4443, 4444, 4445, 4443 etc at stock clocks. So when I started OCing I found it really does takes a lot of difference in clocks to actually make a notable difference in score on my machine. Started turning it up and doing runs until I went over 200+ points, started to become a mission to hit over 200+..... Didn't have to adjust the voltage though so that was good. (No way was I going to bump the voltage)

Superposition is really something, not for the faint at heart or weak GPU's.
    Reply to jankerson
  9. GPU @ 2214

Reply to Vellinious
  10. Vellinious said:
    GPU @ 2214

Holy shoot. That's better than a stock 1080Ti.

Isn't the 8GB 1080 just a really high-binned 1070? Or are 1070s just low-binned 1080 8GBs?
    Reply to EquineHero
  11. 1070s have less shaders and texture mapping units, and don't have the gddr5x memory.
    Reply to Vellinious
  12. EquineHero said:
    Vellinious said:
    GPU @ 2214

Holy shoot. That's better than a stock 1080Ti.

Isn't the 8GB 1080 just a really high-binned 1070? Or are 1070s just low-binned 1080 8GBs?

Yeah, water cooling helps.

Great score really.

Most I can get is 4725 out of mine, well the most I an going to try and get, I posted the results so it's on record.

Yes, there is a big difference between the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080's.
    Reply to jankerson
  13. I'll be pushing it harder this winter. My rig is setup on casters, so I can roll it out to the garage in sub-zero temps, really get the clocks ramped up.
    Reply to Vellinious
  14. Vellinious said:
    I'll be pushing it harder this winter. My rig is setup on casters, so I can roll it out to the garage in sub-zero temps, really get the clocks ramped up.

Saw a few scores on the site between 4800 and 5000 and higher with GTX 1080's, crazy clocks though.

I am settling on 2113 and 5940 on mine... Never got hot at all and no voltage messing around, so I am sticking with that.

4725 is fine with me for an air cooled GTX 1080 FTW2. :D
    Reply to jankerson
  15. Nice
    Reply to YoAndy
  16. jankerson said:
    Vellinious said:
    I'll be pushing it harder this winter. My rig is setup on casters, so I can roll it out to the garage in sub-zero temps, really get the clocks ramped up.

Saw a few scores on the site between 4800 and 5000 and higher with GTX 1080's, crazy clocks though.

I am settling on 2113 and 5940 on mine... Never got hot at all and no voltage messing around, so I am sticking with that.

I just did the power limit mod on my 1070 by shorting the power chokes. I haven't run Superposition yet but I did run the GTA 5 benchmark at 2K pixels (4320x900) and saw above 100 FPS the whole time.

Thing is to run the Superposition bench I need to disable nVidia Surround...what a hassle...
    Reply to EquineHero
  17. EquineHero said:
    jankerson said:
    Vellinious said:

I just did the power limit mod on my 1070 by shorting the power chokes. I haven't run Superposition yet but I did run the GTA 5 benchmark at 2K pixels (4320x900) and saw above 100 FPS the whole time.

Thing is to run the Superposition bench I need to disable nVidia Surround...what a hassle...

Nice. :)

Now to see what it does in Superposition. :D
    Reply to jankerson
  18. jankerson said:
    EquineHero said:
    jankerson said:
    Vellinious said:

Nice. :)

Now to see what it does in Superposition. :D

It's not doing me any good without a good cooler. I'm still using the stock sink until I get my Rajintek Morpheus II Core Edition, so any time the temps go above 60C the clock drops. Not to mention at 2500MHz the card artifacts like crazy. You can only go so far on the stock heat sink and 2100MHz is about it.

I'm sure most people here have seen my custom shroud I made from three 92mm fans. Just gotta wait for my Morpheus.

The choke mod involves shorting the parts of the card that report power consumption, which I did, and I noticed it actually works while monitoring clocks during the bench.
    Reply to EquineHero
  19. Ah, OK.

Hopefully that will help then.
    Reply to jankerson
  20. Vega Frontier Edition after first driver update:
    Reply to COLGeek
  21. COLGeek said:
    Vega Frontier Edition after first driver update:

Updated
    Reply to EquineHero
  22. Getting closer to that +200 mark re-submission requirement...Gotta get a custom BIOS or a better cooler...60C, fans 100%, 2100MHz.
    I love my Xeon though, these things are near future-proof.
    Last score was 3842. Come winter I am testing outside.

Reply to EquineHero
  23. Turned on HBCC and set GPU to turbo mode, had a MASSIVE bump in performance apparently

Reply to Rogue Leader
  24. Rogue Leader said:
    Turned on HBCC and set GPU to turbo mode, had a MASSIVE bump in performance apparently

Table updated.

I dunno if Tom's forum S/W supports spoilers, but if it does, put the images in a spoiler tag for reduced bandwidth usage on metered connections.

HBCC is a turbospeed cache that acts in the same manner as CPU cache. It's in between the GPU and the vRAM in the same way L3 cache is between CPU and RAM. Very high speed cache that speeds up read/write buffers a lot for most apps.
    Reply to EquineHero
  25. Rogue Leader said:
    Turned on HBCC and set GPU to turbo mode, had a MASSIVE bump in performance apparently

That's was a massive difference, over 1,000 points.
    Reply to jankerson
  26. jankerson said:
    Rogue Leader said:

and I have to set everything as high as possible to even get 100 points...
    Reply to EquineHero
  27. maybe I need to think about getting a 1070 card... :)

Reply to The Paladin
  28. The Paladin said:
    maybe I need to think about getting a 1070 card... :)

It's almost 200% as good as the 970. Which is why I get almost double your score.

Do it, it's fantastic and even with Skyrim 2K and Fallout 4's 60GB Hi-res DLC I never, ever max out the 8GB of vRAM. It's a freakin fast card.
    Reply to EquineHero
  29. oh yeah no doubt, its also 500$... can you loan it for me for one to three years on a low interest :)
    Reply to The Paladin
  30. The Paladin said:
    oh yeah no doubt, its also 500$... can you loan it for me for one to three years on a low interest :)

I'm getting the 1070Ti as soon as I can so if you want to buy it off me for $400...Check out my custom cooler in the pic below...

Edit:
    Reply to EquineHero
  31. EquineHero said:
    jankerson said:
    Rogue Leader said:

and I have to set everything as high as possible to even get 100 points...

Yeah, I got +282 points going from stock to 2113 and 5940......

So a 1,000 point difference.... GAWD.... Massive.
    Reply to jankerson
  32. Whats funny is the system uses noticeably more power with HBCC on. It averaged around 50W-60W or so more playing Mass Effect Andromeda. Before I was just about maxing the wattage from my UPS, now the overcurrent alarm goes off all the time, so I turned HBCC off for now and ordered a bigger UPS!
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  33. Rogue Leader said:
    Whats funny is the system uses noticeably more power with HBCC on. It averaged around 50W-60W or so more playing Mass Effect Andromeda. Before I was just about maxing the wattage from my UPS, now the overcurrent alarm goes off all the time, so I turned HBCC off for now and ordered a bigger UPS!

Guess the lights all dim once that thing starts to work. LOL :D

Well the good thing is you have a space heater now in the room. :D

What are your 3D Mark Scores?
    Reply to jankerson
  34. jankerson said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    Whats funny is the system uses noticeably more power with HBCC on. It averaged around 50W-60W or so more playing Mass Effect Andromeda. Before I was just about maxing the wattage from my UPS, now the overcurrent alarm goes off all the time, so I turned HBCC off for now and ordered a bigger UPS!

lol yeah prettymuch

Firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13959146

Timespy - http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2611814

Firestrike improved by 700 points with HBCC on, Timespy about 200 pts. I think the improvements are based on how texture rich the test is. Thats probably why Superposition had such a huge jump the textures on it are insane.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  35. Rogue Leader said:
    jankerson said:
    Rogue Leader said:

lol yeah prettymuch

Firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13959146

Timespy - http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2611814

Firestrike improved by 700 points with HBCC on, Timespy about 200 pts. I think the improvements are based on how texture rich the test is. Thats probably why Superposition had such a huge jump the textures on it are insane.

Good scores. :)

Yeah it much be something with Superposition, crazy BM.

Here are mine, both stock and OCed because I don't run my card OCed over what the boost and auto OC does.

Stock:

Fire Strike - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13947500

Time Spy - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2147013

OCed:

Fire Strike - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13907988

Time Spy - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2576590
    Reply to jankerson
  36. Asus Strix GTX 1070 Gaming OC (ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING)

Reply to SinxarKnights
  37. Rogue Leader said:

I've got a Corsair CX600 PSU, I ran my 1070 alongside a 580 both at the same time for a faster Blender export...Silicon power supply lottery is a thing I guess. The daughterboard in my Corsair CX600 is actually from a GS800 minus two 8-pin PCI plugs, so I soldered some on. The board is also labelled "800" where Corsair usually puts the wattage, so I guess someone at the factory screwed up and covered their tracks.

EDIT: fixed a typo

jankerson said:

Gawd, have you felt the heat three Fermi cards can generate? I had dual 460s for a bit and I had to lower the heat when I used blender or even played Minecraft.

SinxarKnights said:
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 Gaming OC (ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING)

Is that overclocked at all? That's practically the same score as my max-clocked 1070 (until I get my Morpheus II). Trying to break 4000 with a 1070 is hard :(
    Reply to EquineHero
  38. EquineHero said:
    SinxarKnights said:

Is that overclocked at all? That's practically the same score as my max-clocked 1070 (until I get my Morpheus II). Trying to break 4000 with a 1070 is hard :(

Yes it is very near the absolute max i can get unless i add some voltage to it. Also there are two 5ths on the chart.
    Reply to SinxarKnights
  39. EquineHero said:
    Rogue Leader said:

I've got a Corsair CX600 PSU, I ran my 1070 alongside a 580 both at the same time for a faster Blender export...Silicon power supply lottery is a thing I guess. The daughterboard in my Corsair CX600 is actually from a CX800 minus two 8-pin PCI plugs, so I soldered some on. The board is also labelled "800" where Corsair usually puts the wattage, so I guess someone at the factory screwed up and covered their tracks.

jankerson said:

Gawd, have you felt the heat three Fermi cards can generate? I had dual 460s for a bit and I had to lower the heat when I used blender or even played Minecraft.

SinxarKnights said:

Umm no. There is no such thing as a CX 800. There's a CX 750 but it's based on a completely different platform so there's no cross compatibility. Not to mention the old group regulated CX series is terrible and certainly not something you want to be stressing more than their onboard connectors already allow. The new CX(M) x50 units are better ( dumbed down version of the discontinued RM line ) and have DC to DC regulation. Still not something I'd be modding so they could provide more power than intended from the factory. That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

TL: DR : I wouldn't trust a CX 600 with a 1070 from the factory much less with some home brewed mod. You can expect 3 years out of a CX x00 just like the warranty.
    Reply to anort3
  40. EquineHero said:

I've got a Corsair CX600 PSU, I ran my 1070 alongside a 580 both at the same time for a faster Blender export...Silicon power supply lottery is a thing I guess. The daughterboard in my Corsair CX600 is actually from a CX800 minus two 8-pin PCI plugs, so I soldered some on. The board is also labelled "800" where Corsair usually puts the wattage, so I guess someone at the factory screwed up and covered their tracks.

Interesting.
    Corsair doesn't even mention a CX800. :pt1cable:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/cx-series
    Reply to USAFRet
  41. Because there's never been one. The CX 750 is a completely different platform that has different internals. If anything it was worse than the regular CX series. It failed in HardOCP's testing. I truly can't imagine modding a CX for any reason much less to make it capable of providing more power. Those units are only rated for 30C!

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

It's a fire waiting to happen.
    Reply to anort3
  42. anort3 said:
    Because there's never been one.

Oh, I know.
    I was just displaying that fact.
    Reply to USAFRet
  43. EquineHero said:
    Rogue Leader said:

Er, there was no CX800, I don't know what that "800" on the board is but it has nothing to do with the output.

Being that the CX600 is a known problem PSU, pushing it how you are (and adding connectors) is a recipe for disaster, that honestly is a house fire waiting to happen.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  44. Using the same PCB for different products and changing what's populated is *extremely* common.

And changing exact product specifications and names prior to launch is also very common.

It's possible that when that board was designed, there was expected to be a CX800, and it was going to be used for everything 430W up. Or it's from someone else's 800W PSU and it saves on design costs. Or anything.
    Reply to Someone Somewhere
  45. Someone Somewhere said:
    Using the same PCB for different products and changing what's populated is *extremely* common.

And changing exact product specifications and names prior to launch is also very common.

It's possible that when that board was designed, there was expected to be a CX800, and it was going to be used for everything 430W up. Or it's from someone else's 800W PSU and it saves on design costs. Or anything.

Nope. The CX 430-600 use the Channel Well DSA III platform. It was created specifically for Corsair and is unique to those models.

http://www.orionpsudb.com/platforms
    Reply to anort3
  46. Sure, the platform may have been. But that doesn't necessarily mean that every part was. The modular board could have been grabbed from something else, or they intended to use the modular board on a future expansion of the lineup that never happened.
    Reply to Someone Somewhere
  47. Or it came off Factory Assembly Line #800.
    Reply to USAFRet
  48. Either way, they don't stamp that wattage rating on the side of a PSU for their health.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  49. anort3 said:
    Because there's never been one. The CX 750 is a completely different platform that has different internals. If anything it was worse than the regular CX series. It failed in HardOCP's testing. I truly can't imagine modding a CX for any reason much less to make it capable of providing more power. Those units are only rated for 30C!

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

It's a fire waiting to happen.

Deleted my other reply because the formatting was horrible.

I meant to say GS800. I had CX stuck in my head from typing it so I just typed it as CX800 instead.

Rogue Leader said:

Er, there was no CX800, I don't know what that "800" on the board is but it has nothing to do with the output.

Being that the CX600 is a known problem PSU, pushing it how you are (and adding connectors) is a recipe for disaster, that honestly is a house fire waiting to happen.

I think we've established this.

This is the very first revision, even says REV 1.0 on the PCB. I've had this since it was released, and it's powered almost every card I've had. Dual GTX460SE's, a Gigabye 580, GTX 650, GTX 660, GTX 1050Ti, 1050Ti FTW, GTX 770, GTX 950 FTW, dual GTX 550Tis, the list goes on. This PSU has proven to be extremely reliable, I wouldn't have done the mod if I wasn't confident.

Someone Somewhere said:
    Using the same PCB for different products and changing what's populated is *extremely* common.

I believe this is a GS800 in the shell of a CX600 with two 8-pin plugs removed. Like I said, the PSU has proven reliable, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't think the PSU couldn't handle the load.

anort3 said:

Nope. The CX 430-600 use the Channel Well DSA III platform. It was created specifically for Corsair and is unique to those models.

http://www.orionpsudb.com/platforms

Interesting.

The board is black and has Corsair's logo on it. I'm gonna move it to a different chassis that has little windows so you can see the fan and replace the fan with an LED one.

Rogue Leader said:
    Either way, they don't stamp that wattage rating on the side of a PSU for their health.

I know that, but I'm fairly sure this PSU was borked somehow and that's how an 800W PCB made it into a 600W chassis. It's proven it's capable, and only time will tell.

The fan only spins up when the interior of my case gets warm, like when I play GTA5 for 4 hours straight, and even then I can just take off the side panel.
    Reply to EquineHero
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Google AMD Nvidia Gtx GPUs Graphics Cards