Gaming rig upgrade path and advice

Reply to bbad6394
11 answers Last reply
More about gaming rig upgrade path advice
  1. That CPU/MB/RAM is dead technology, you will need to get a new combo. GPU is very weak, PSU can crash anytime. Monitor can wait, hdd is fine. How much money can you spare now? So I can help you plan upgrade gradually.
    Reply to vapour
  2. vapour said:
    That CPU/MB/RAM is dead technology, you will need to get a new combo. GPU is very weak, PSU can crash anytime. Monitor can wait, hdd is fine. How much money can you spare now? So I can help you plan upgrade gradually.

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I mean I get paid weekly so as I can spare I'll upgrade but for my first purchase I can spare up to 160 I'd say. If I should wait I can do that but I feel like I can game decently If i just pop in a new psu and gpu with my processor. I get its old but if I can game moderately right now a dedicated gpu should get me to some more games I can play for now.
    Reply to bbad6394
  3. Step 1: Since you want a long-lasting rig, get a reliable PSU. So the first combo is

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $152.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-03 12:43 EDT-0400

Step 2: Monitor

Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $89.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-03 12:54 EDT-0400

Step 3: CPU/MB/RAM, you will need to reinstall OS due to MB change

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $270.97
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-03 12:55 EDT-0400

Step 4: Add an SSD, and move OS to your SSD
    Reply to vapour
  4. vapour said:
    Step 1: Since you want a long-lasting rig, get a reliable PSU. So the first combo is

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $152.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-03 12:43 EDT-0400

Step 2: Monitor

Step 3: CPU/MB/RAM, you will need to reinstall OS due to MB change

So I'm happy with that combo but I have an amd build and I'm not sure if my mobo supports the 1050? It has a 16 pci-e slot but not familiar with compatibility and not seeing that they match online.
    Reply to bbad6394
  5. They usually do, what MB do you have? and what BIOS version?
    Reply to vapour
  6. I believe it's the 2ae0. Now that i'm researching I'm thinking I'll keep that psu you recommended but the 1050 ti is easily attainable with a little more saving and I might as well get that one since it has 4gb and seems good on power consumption. Not sure where to find bios information though.
    Reply to bbad6394
  7. Which brand of MB is it?
    Boot and press "del", get into bios and it will show you the version.
    Since you are already saving, save more for 1060 then, PUBG is really demanding game, 1060 6gb will be much better than 1050 ti :)
    Reply to vapour
  8. vapour said:
    Which brand of MB is it?
    Boot and press "del", get into bios and it will show you the version.
    Since you are already saving, save more for 1060 then, PUBG is really demanding game, 1060 6gb will be much better than 1050 ti :)

Hey sorry that took so long I had like 200 updates to install I guess. Anyway it's an MSI 2ae0 and I'm not sure what BIOS info you needed but the only two things that actually said BIOS next to them were a date which was sometime in 2013 and I believe a revision number and that was 80.46 so not really sure if that's helpful or not. Also idk if that's sarcasm but at that point its a never ending cycle of getting more for your money lol. Getting the 1060 would be nice but would drastically push back when I could get it and what CPU I'd want to get in the future. So I think the 1050 ti will be sufficient for me hopefully. At least it has 4 GB.
    Reply to bbad6394
  9. You will need 80.48 to support 1050ti, talk to HP and see if they can provide a BIOS update.
    Reply to vapour
  10. vapour said:
    You will need 80.48 to support 1050ti, talk to HP and see if they can provide a BIOS update.

unfortunately I don't see that as an option. I have two options for 80.51 rev A and then three more for 80.21 .23 .24 rev A.

Upon googling 80.48 I really don't see much relevance to GPU can I have you source for needing that update?

I take that back, most of them were for other things than the 2ae0 and have downloaded the 80.51 rev A. I'm assuming that is just the newest version of the BIOS available and should cover it if I am taking that correctly.
    Reply to bbad6394
  11. 80.51 is fine, as long as it is newer than 80.48
    Reply to vapour
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Build Your Own Video Games CPUs Gaming PCs Games GPUs