Need help getting a graphics card

Hey guys,

I am currently looking at upgrading my graphics card (I have a Gigabyte 740 2GB). I am not a serious gamer and tend to play old games which my current card is able to do, but there are some newer games I would like to play that I feel my card will struggle running.

I have a HP h8-1090t so space and airflow is not great. Due to these limits I have been looking at smaller cards. below is a list of cards I am interested in.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 6GB
MSI GTX 1060 AERO ITX 6G OC
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
MSI GTX 1050 TI AERO ITX 4GB

I really liked the performance of the 1060 cards, but had issues with them . I bought an Evga 1060 6GB earlier this year but returned it due to the sleep mode issues (Computer reboots when waking computer from sleep due to card not responding). I am not sure if this issue is common with Evga 1060 cards, 1060 cards in general, or all of Nvidia's 1000 series line up. Another reason I returned the card was because it was loud. Whenever I played games like GTA5 the fans would start spinning fast producing an annoying jet turbine like sound (card was really quiet on idle though). My 740 during gameplay is pretty silent and would very much like the new card to be silent. Due to the experience with my Evga card I am a little hesitant on going with a small 1060 (Also I am completely avoiding Evga). I am worried that the sleep mode issue is still present and that they are loud.

Here is my goal:
- Quiet during gameplay (Little noise is okay, but way more quiet than the Evga I had)
- 60 FPS 1080p gaming.
- Graphics on high.

What I can tolerate:
- Quiet during gameplay (As quiet as my 740)
- 45+ FPS 1080p gaming.
- Graphics on Medium-High (some medium and some high settings).

List of games I would like to play:
Witcher 3
Squad
Watch Dogs 2
Red Dead Redemption 2 (maybe)
Star wars battlefront 2 (Maybe)

Overall I need advice on picking the right card that can fulfill my requirements. I am leaning towards a 1050 Ti but worry that it won't be enough. I would appreciate your guys advice and recommendations!

My computer specs:
CPU: i7 970
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 740 2GB
Power supply: 600W (OEM HP) [Connectors: two 6-pin and one 2-pin]
Reply to third_age_knight
4 answers Last reply
More about graphics card
  1. for your target, 1050ti is actually enough (with a mix of med-high, u can achieve 60 fps with it :)) also it doesn't require any external power which means less risk (since i don't really trust a prebuilt PSU)
    but if u can afford a 1060, that would be a huge step up over the 1050ti (about 70% more), so i suggest u go with that instead :)

as i am a 768p player, i can't give u my experience with the 1050ti (also, i don't have those games that u mentioned)
    but here's what i know from my single fan 1050ti
    - so far i never reach above 60 celcius (even with 100% usage)
    - fan only hovers around 50-60%
    however, mine is Galax, which is pretty scarce / pricy outside europe and asia :)

i personally would recommend u going with the MSI instead, from what i've heard, Gigabyte had a lot of issues bout coil whine

for the noise, u can always customize your fan curve in order to achieve what u want :) use apps like MSI Afterburner etc :)
    Reply to constantine_99
  2. I am now leaning more towards the 1060, more specifically the MSI AERO ITX 1060. My concern is the sleep mode issue. I always put my computer to sleep when not using it so this will be a major inconvenience for me. I have been scanning the internet for solutions or the root cause, but there seems to be no definite answer. I guess I will cross my fingers and hope I wont bump into this issue again. if anyone has dealt with this issues and know the cause or a possible fix please let me know.

Also I am thinking of overclocking the 1050 Ti in case the 1060 fails me. I am no expert on overclocking and was wondering if it is safe to overclock and how I can determine if I am pushing my the card to much. I do not want to do anything that will significantly decrease the life of the card.
  3. third_age_knight said:
    I am now leaning more towards the 1060, more specifically the MSI AERO ITX 1060. My concern is the sleep mode issue. I always put my computer to sleep when not using it so this will be a major inconvenience for me. I have been scanning the internet for solutions or the root cause, but there seems to be no definite answer. I guess I will cross my fingers and hope I wont bump into this issue again. if anyone has dealt with this issues and know the cause or a possible fix please let me know.

Also I am thinking of overclocking the 1050 Ti in case the 1060 fails me. I am no expert on overclocking and was wondering if it is safe to overclock and how I can determine if I am pushing my the card to much. I do not want to do anything that will significantly decrease the life of the card.

Nvidia had GPU Boost which will boost your core clock when the situation allows, u don't have to worry bout it
    besides, overclocking doesn really yield that much of an increase (in GPU case) most likely only 1-3 extra fps, sometimes even none
    Reply to constantine_99
  4. I bought the MSI AREO 1060 ITX 6GB and surprisingly the card is pretty silent (Even with my limited space and poor airflow). Have not pushed it to the limit though. I am using around 80% of the GPU and locking the frames to 60 which is keeping it below 60 Degrees.

Some of the games I tested the card with:

GTA5 - Very high settings, 1080p, 60FPS
    Assassins Creed Black Flag - High settings, 1080P, 60FPS (sometimes drops to 30FPS)
    Dragon Age inquisition - High settings, 1080P, 60FPS

So far I am pretty happy with the performance and its definitely better than the Evga 1060 I had before. It looks like I will be able to play the games I listed at high settings. I have not tested the sleep mode issue yet so crossing my fingers that I won't bump into this issue again.

But I do have one issue with the card. I use a TV/Monitor as my second monitor and with this card it is not displaying the monitor (It is able to detect it though). With my old card I was able to connect the TV/Monitor with a VGA cable. Since the card does not have a VGA slot I have to connect my TV/Monitor with a HDMI, which is not working. The Evga card I had before was able to display my second monitor using a HDMI cable, but it did have issues. Not really a big concern for me since I almost never used the second monitor, but sometimes good to have.
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx Games Graphics Cards Gigabyte