How do I transfer windows 10 from my HDD to my brand new SSD?

I haven't bought it, but I'm just wondering if it will work.
Reply to TawseefGameplays
11 answers Last reply
More about transfer windows hdd brand ssd
  1. If you get a Samsung SSD you can use Samsung Data Migration. I have used it and it is very easy. Just run the software, choose what disc you want to clone, and hit enter. A little while later it will be done.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  2. feelinfroggy777 said:
    If you get a Samsung SSD you can use Samsung Data Migration. I have used it and it is very easy. Just run the software, choose what disc you want to clone, and hit enter. A little while later it will be done.

How much would it cost?
  3. feelinfroggy777 said:
    If you get a Samsung SSD you can use Samsung Data Migration. I have used it and it is very easy. Just run the software, choose what disc you want to clone, and hit enter. A little while later it will be done.

And if I do that will I lose all my games and stuff?
  4. If you use a Samsung product, it does not cost anything. If you get a SSD, I would go with a Samsung 850 EVO. It is probably the most popular SSD in the world.

You wont lose you games at all. Everything will be cloned. The only think you might have to do is unplug the HDD the first time you boot with the SSD, but maybe not. The whole purpose is to get the SSD bootable and sometimes drive letters can get confused on the PC. So after the clone, just unhook the HDD and boot.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  5. Samsung Data Migration comes with a Samsung SSD.
    Using this will move everything(OS, applications and data) to the SSD. The only caveat is whether you have enough room on the SSD to move everything from the HDD.

My experience is that it is better to just do a fresh install of the OS on the SSD(and installed a few of your most used applications), and use the HDD for applications and data.
    Reply to ss202sl
  6. TawseefGameplays said:

1. How much total space is consumed on your current drive?
    2. How large is the new SSD?

If 1 is smaller than 2, you can transfer it exactly like this:
    -----------------------------
    Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
    Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
    Power off
    Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
    Power up
    Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
    Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
    Click the 'Clone' button
    Wait until it is done
    When it finishes, power off
    Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
    Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
    Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
    If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
    Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
    Delete the original boot partitions, here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Having said that...a clean install is recommended.
    A clone usually works. usually.
    A clean install always works.
    Reply to USAFRet
  7. TawseefGameplays said:
    feelinfroggy777 said:

And if I do that will I lose all my games and stuff?

First of all, the SSD must be larger capacity than the USED SPACE on the HDD or you can't clone.

If the SSD is large enough everything will work fine as long as the cloning went perfectly (sometimes there are issues).

Otherwise, you'd need to delete or move files or programs.

*For STEAM games you only need to worry about keeping the "Steamapps" folder. Here's an EXAMPLE of how to do that for your situation:

1. clone (or do clean install to SSD preferably but if so plan CAREFULLY)
    2. install Steam again and login if you did a clean install
    3. go into Steam settings-> download-> library (or similar), and then select the HDD drive (i.e. "E") and create a new folder "E:\STEAM"

4. CUT and PASTE the "Steamapps" folder over to E:\Steam (just moving on the same drive so it should go fast)
    5. may need to restart Steam, and may want to also VERIFY local content for each game
    6. SAVE GAMES are usually in "Documents" or "Documents\My Games" and will work fine if you clone, but if you do a clean install then SAVE the entire folder so you can copy the save file back to the appropriate folder

Origin, UPlay, and Blizzard have ways to restore games as long as the root game folder is not deleted. You can Google for how as it is a big different. Blizzard was fairly easy, but Origin was confusing at first but they all worked for me without redownloading.
    Reply to photonboy
  8. USAFRet said:
    TawseefGameplays said:

1. How much total space is consumed on your current drive?
    2. How large is the new SSD?

If 1 is smaller than 2, you can transfer it exactly like this:
    Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
    Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
    Power off
    Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
    Power up
    Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
    Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
    Click the 'Clone' button
    Wait until it is done
    When it finishes, power off
    Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
    Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
    Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
    If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
    Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
    Delete the original boot partitions, here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Having said that...a clean install is recommended.
    A clone usually works. usually.
    A clean install always works.

Um, I really don't understand computer things but, 291 GB has been consumed, and the SSD I'm getting is https://www.umart.com.au/Samsung-1TB-SSD-850-EVO_30297G.html.
  9. TawseefGameplays said:

Um, I really don't understand computer things but, 291 GB has been consumed, and the SSD I'm getting is https://www.umart.com.au/Samsung-1TB-SSD-850-EVO_30297G.html.

Yes that will work.

As far as "I really don't understand computer things"...are you 100% sure you want to go down this path?
    Cloning usually works. Usually.
    When it goes wrong, it can turn ugly.
    Reply to USAFRet
  10. USAFRet said:
    TawseefGameplays said:

Yes that will work.

As far as "I really don't understand computer things"...are you 100% sure you want to go down this path?
    Cloning usually works. Usually.
    When it goes wrong, it can turn ugly.

I think I will, my brothers in IT and Multimedia, and knows abit about Computers, but I don't if he will help.
  11. Just back up any important files and you will be okay. Worst case scenario is you have to do a fresh install of Windows and as long as you have your files backed up you will be fine. Games can always be redownloaded
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 SSD Gaming PCs Hard Drives