Solved

How do I stop windows 10 from updating?

Hello guys, as the title says how do I stop windows from updating? Like forever? I currently have the version 1607,reverted from 1709 because it has problems with games ( stutters and stuff)

I really want to remain at this version of windows and I want to cancel any future updates? But how do I do that?
Can someone help?
Reply to blascoope
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stop windows updating
  1. Best answer
    you can Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates
    windows(key)+R type"gpedit.msc"
    Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

Locate the “Configure Automatic Updates” setting in the right pane and double-click it. Set it to “Enabled,” and then select your preferred setting. For example, you can choose “Auto download and notify for install” or “Notify for download and notify for install.” Save the change.
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  2. ok did that, and it says download but i ll never download it :p.. so I m good now? It will not update by itself right?
    Reply to blascoope
  3. As stated, you can use group policy to force it to minimize updates or put them fully within your control. With the older version you're looking at, that can be no updates, if you choose. Newer versions (since Creators Update 1) might fight with Group policies, or override though as they want to force critical updates through. (Whether an update is actually critical like security patches, or deemed critical but aren't such as an "added feature," is at Microsoft's discretion.)

There is one caveat that I'm aware of: You need the Pro version, if not Enterprise or Educational. You can try, but if it fails, it means you don't have the right SKU/edition.
    Reply to shrapnel_indie
  4. blascoope said:
    ok did that, and it says download but i ll never download it :p.. so I m good now? It will not update by itself right?

Considering the version level you wish to stay at. It shouldn't just update by itself, regardless if it downloads or not.
    Reply to shrapnel_indie
  5. The official way is to use Microsoft's KB3073930 Wushowhide.diagcab tool to hide just the upgrade. Run it, click Advanced, untick the box marked "Apply repairs automatically," then Next. When it comes back up, click Hide Updates and tick the box marked "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703," then Next. This only stops the version upgrade ("Feature Update" in Microsoft-speak) and not the monthly updates to 1607, which will continue to be installed automatically. So this way does not download the huge 8GB version upgrade and allows everything else to work automatically without user intervention.

This will require hiding 1709 later too when it's pushed out to everyone after Oct 17, 2017. After 1803 drops in Mar 2018, support for any updates to 1607 will end, so hopefully any issues will be fixed by then in at least one of the newer versions.
    Reply to BFG-9000
  6. Group Policy only applies to Win 10 Pro and above.

However....the Win 10 pushed updates are a direct result of the previous versions when you could turn them off easily.

People would turn them off...by accident, on purpose, or via a pirated OS.
    Result? Many millions of compromised systems, all part of botnets.

Major outcry from the community. Why is this allowed?

So...with Win 10, MS said "OK, no more. Updates are pushed, whether you like it or not"
    and again...major outcry from the other half of the community...."I don't want them pushed.!"

And consider this...the vast majority of systems that were compromised in the WannaCry ransomware attack were unpatched systems.

So, if you go down this road and cause your system to be unpatched....I might give an uncaring laugh when your system is compromised sometime next year.
    Reply to USAFRet
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows windows 10