Intel HD Graphics on Windows 7 Kaby Lake

So, Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7; Microsoft also asked Intel to stop providing Windows 7 drivers for their newer Kaby Lake hardware; Microsoft wants users to stop using Windows 7.

So, can someone please help me not follow what Microsoft wants and do what I want?

I bought a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen laptop and immediately after getting it I downgraded the OS to Windows 7. I would have installed XP on it since my old one still has XP and IT IS THE GREATEST WINDOWS VERSION EVER BUILT, but I'll explore that later.

Anyway, I am set gathering all the 32-bit Windows 7 drivers I need even though Lenovo doesn't provide them, except for the Intel Graphics 620 card. Has anyone successfully installed Intel graphics card drivers for the 7th generation series on a Windows 7 32-bit machine? I found a fix about modifying an .inf file on the drivers to add the hardware ID of my graphics card but that seem to only work for the 64-bit version and not 32-bit.
Reply to Medyo
21 answers Last reply
More about intel graphics windows kaby lake
  1. so not only do you want to use an insecure OS on a new laptop that im pretty sure has more then 4GB of ram. you also decide to install a 32-bit version of it leaving you access to less then 4GB of ram. so with all the cash you spent on that laptop is it still worth not putting windows 10 on it?

    either windows 7 will find a driver close enough it can use or you will be stuck with using generic drivers
    Reply to captaincharisma
  2. I have heard nothing about that, but a quick google search tells you that this is basically impossible. You could dig for hours and probably never find your fix. I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to only 32-bit, let alone an older Windows software (personally Windows 10 is far better than Win7, but I know the appeal). I'm sure there's some way you can do it, but I doubt it will be worth the trouble at all. You are limiting yourself to an unsupported OS that is significantly more insecure and only limiting yourself to 4GB of RAM. Kaby Lake was not made for it, so you shouldn't attempt to force it to work with it.

    I'm not an expert, you certainly are more than I am, but I doubt this is really worth all the trouble to go back to Windows 7 32-bit.
    Reply to JalYt_Justin
  3. @captaincharisma - I am after the lightweight and screen size. The price and specs don't matter to me. I don't need more than 4GB or RAM; I need Office and Internet access, that's all. Only reason I am not putting XP on this is because some websites I must use no longer support older browser versions. If it wasn't for that this baby would have XP.

    @JalYt_Justin - Just until this month I've been using XP and Microsoft stopped supporting XP when the dinosaurs left. I have been professionally employed in the I.T. security industry since I was 18 years old. I'm no hacker or geek but I can secure my machine--without an antivirus software ;-)


    Anyway, the standard Windows 7 graphics driver actually works and I am able to use the highest resolution available. My problem with that is that my Standby/Sleep mode no longer works and after doing research I discovered that it is part of the graphics drivers, thus my need to upgrade the drivers.
    Reply to Medyo
  4. Medyo said:
    @captaincharisma - I am after the lightweight and screen size. The price and specs don't matter to me. I don't need more than 4GB or RAM; I need Office and Internet access, that's all. Only reason I am not putting XP on this is because some websites I must use no longer support older browser versions. If it wasn't for that this baby would have XP.

    @JalYt_Justin - Just until this month I've been using XP and Microsoft stopped supporting XP when the dinosaurs left. I have been professionally employed in the I.T. security industry since I was 18 years old. I'm no hacker or geek but I can secure my machine--without an antivirus software ;-)


    Anyway, the standard Windows 7 graphics driver actually works and I am able to use the highest resolution available. My problem with that is that my Standby/Sleep mode no longer works and after doing research I discovered that it is part of the graphics drivers, thus my need to upgrade the drivers.


    well there are no drivers so you will have to live with it. also unless you have an unused windows 7 licence key you will not be able to activate windows on that laptop
    Reply to captaincharisma
  5. captaincharisma said:
    Medyo said:
    @captaincharisma - I am after the lightweight and screen size. The price and specs don't matter to me. I don't need more than 4GB or RAM; I need Office and Internet access, that's all. Only reason I am not putting XP on this is because some websites I must use no longer support older browser versions. If it wasn't for that this baby would have XP.

    @JalYt_Justin - Just until this month I've been using XP and Microsoft stopped supporting XP when the dinosaurs left. I have been professionally employed in the I.T. security industry since I was 18 years old. I'm no hacker or geek but I can secure my machine--without an antivirus software ;-)


    Anyway, the standard Windows 7 graphics driver actually works and I am able to use the highest resolution available. My problem with that is that my Standby/Sleep mode no longer works and after doing research I discovered that it is part of the graphics drivers, thus my need to upgrade the drivers.


    well there are no drivers so you will have to live with it. also unless you have an unused windows 7 licence key you will not be able to activate windows on that laptop



    "People Who Say It Cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt Those Who Are Doing It" - George Bernard Shaw

    People say there are no drivers but I managed to get all other drivers installed so far; just one more and I am done. I also managed to activate Windows, that's very easy to do for someone who knows what he is doing and very hard to do for someone who doesn't.
    Reply to Medyo
  6. I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os
    Reply to geofelt
  7. geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.
    Reply to Medyo
  8. Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.
    Reply to DSzymborski
  9. DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.




    Seems like the people you know care about prices or performance. There are people who have money, people I know, and people like me, who don't need powerful and high-end machines to brag or be proud of. For people like me, even a pentium 2 machine will get things done. And I know many people like me.
    Reply to Medyo
  10. Medyo said:
    DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.




    Seems like the people you know care about prices or performance. There are people who have money, people I know, and people like me, who don't need powerful and high-end machines to brag or be proud of. For people like me, even a pentium 2 machine will get things done. And I know many people like me.

    The funny part is that if you just left your laptop like it is and let it run Windows 10, it would browse and get things done faster than what you're trying to do. Running outdated drivers on an overall slower OS and crippling your RAM will make it run slower. You're effectively spending your time making your computer run worse.
    Reply to JalYt_Justin
  11. Medyo said:
    DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.




    Seems like the people you know care about prices or performance. There are people who have money, people I know, and people like me, who don't need powerful and high-end machines to brag or be proud of. For people like me, even a pentium 2 machine will get things done. And I know many people like me.


    Then why not buy a Pentium II? You can find Pentium II laptops that are working for like $30.

    Yeah, people I know care about prices or performance. Who doesn't?
    Reply to DSzymborski
  12. JalYt_Justin said:
    Medyo said:
    DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.




    Seems like the people you know care about prices or performance. There are people who have money, people I know, and people like me, who don't need powerful and high-end machines to brag or be proud of. For people like me, even a pentium 2 machine will get things done. And I know many people like me.

    The funny part is that if you just left your laptop like it is and let it run Windows 10, it would browse and get things done faster than what you're trying to do. Running outdated drivers on an overall slower OS and crippling your RAM will make it run slower. You're effectively spending your time making your computer run worse.



    You're clearly ANOTHER one of THOSE people who care about quaint peasant things like "price" or "performance." You must just not have tons of money like this guy's friends do.
    Reply to DSzymborski
  13. Alright, let's stop the infighting. Address the question asked and do NOT engage in off-topic back biting. Any further off-topic bickering and such will be met with sanctions.

    The only acceptable reply to this post is "I have read and understand the warning"
    Reply to ex_bubblehead


  14. Actually, the funny part is that people think that everyone does what they do and everyone should do what they do. People think that just because one thing is popular because many people say so that it is true for everyone else. Hitler was popular, Imelda was popular, and Jong-Un is popular to millions of people.

    The funny thing is that people love to keep up with the Jones' and instead of letting other people who don't think like them be, they want to influence their attitude towards them.

    I have a 6GB Windows 7 install on a 512GB OCZ NVMe SSD drive and my machine is blazing fast for what I need it to do. If you knew that you probably wouldn't claim that my RAM is getting crippled. Then again, that's why assumptions don't help and if you can't help might as well keep your opinion to yourself.
    Reply to Medyo
  15. ex_bubblehead said:
    Alright, let's stop the infighting. Address the question asked and do NOT engage in off-topic back biting. Any further off-topic bickering and such will be met with sanctions.

    The only acceptable reply to this post is "I have read and understand the warning"


    Understood
    Reply to Medyo
  16. DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    DSzymborski said:
    Medyo said:
    geofelt said:
    I have done quite a bit of research on this.
    I wanted to build a kaby lake small desktop using integrated graphics a 32 bit os and kaby lake.
    I wanted it solely to run civ 2.42, a favorite 16 bit game.

    No can do.

    The problem is that 32 bit integrated graphics support is going away.

    I do think you can make it work on a 64 bit version of windows 7.
    windows is 32/64 bit agnostic so far as activation goes.

    And if you add a second 4gb , you will be running in dual channel mode.


    Intel integrated graphics for any 32 bit os


    Have you attempted using 32-bit drivers for a lower model card and see it will work? That's the approach I plan to take next although it will take a while since there are tons of Intel graphics card drivers. I initially tried one for a 530 model. After I modified the INF file and added the hardware ID for my card I was able to get the install going, however I got the BSOD after reboot. I have a Ghost image created and was able to restore in less than 5 minutes but I don't feel like spending hours on this if anyone has already done it before.


    I doubt you will find many people who buy an expensive Kaby Lake laptop in 2017 so that they can run it like a Pentium 4 laptop from 2003. None of this makes much sense, but I wish you the best.




    Seems like the people you know care about prices or performance. There are people who have money, people I know, and people like me, who don't need powerful and high-end machines to brag or be proud of. For people like me, even a pentium 2 machine will get things done. And I know many people like me.


    Then why not buy a Pentium II? You can find Pentium II laptops that are working for like $30.

    Yeah, people I know care about prices or performance. Who doesn't?


    Sure, do you know any 2lbs laptop, less than an inch thick, and has a 13.3inch display that is running on Pentium II? I can care less if the machine is worth $10,000. If it meets what I am looking for I will buy it and still put Windows XP on it.
    Reply to Medyo
  17. Medyo said:
    So, Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7; Microsoft also asked Intel to stop providing Windows 7 drivers for their newer Kaby Lake hardware; Microsoft wants users to stop using Windows 7.

    So, can someone please help me not follow what Microsoft wants and do what I want?

    I bought a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen laptop and immediately after getting it I downgraded the OS to Windows 7. I would have installed XP on it since my old one still has XP and IT IS THE GREATEST WINDOWS VERSION EVER BUILT, but I'll explore that later.

    Anyway, I am set gathering all the 32-bit Windows 7 drivers I need even though Lenovo doesn't provide them, except for the Intel Graphics 620 card. Has anyone successfully installed Intel graphics card drivers for the 7th generation series on a Windows 7 32-bit machine? I found a fix about modifying an .inf file on the drivers to add the hardware ID of my graphics card but that seem to only work for the 64-bit version and not 32-bit.



    Welp after a good 17 hrs of work I just figured it out for a Dell Latitude 5580 that has a i5 7200U 7th gen processor running windows 7 32bit. It didn't install the 620 video driver but it installed another type of driver that has the intel graphics settings. I just did this today and did a little testing with hooking up the laptop to a vga projection system *still have to test HDMI*. I tested changing the resolution, brightness of the display with the keyboard, I messed around with the screen saver, screen dimmer, screen turn off power options, things look good.. I would highly suggest if people are going to do this to a number of computers to highly test it out first with a computer to make sure things will work fine, or use someone or someones as a guinea pig, looks fine though, but yea test it out, going to do a lot more testing myself but looks very promising.

    How to install an Intel video driver to install on a Windows 7 32bit OS that has a 7th Generation CPU that has Intel HD 620 Video

    1. Download the win32_15.45.23.4860.zip win7 32bit video driver from intel.
    2. Extract the files to a folder.
    3. In the folder you extracted everything to go into the Graphics folder and look for the file igdlh.inf
    4. Open that file with notepad.
    5. Scroll down a little bit till you find, Windows 7 Install – DT Only
    6. Add the line in instruction 7. to the very bottom of all the lines of instructions that are underneath Windows 7 Install – DT Only. These lines that are already there will all look a lot like the line that you are going to add in instruction 7.
    7. %IKBLULTGT2% = ISKLD_W7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916
    8. Save and exit notepad.
    9. Go into the folder you extracted everything into again and execute the igxpin.exe file.
    10. If you get a message about windows security install this driver software.
    11. Finish the install and then the computer will reboot.
    12. If you look in the device manager under display drivers you should see %IKBLULTGT2% and it should be working fine. Pay no mind to the unknown device, that is the 620 video but you are now using a different video driver. Me I disabled the unknown device, I don’t think disabling it effects the display adapter driver you just installed, but I haven’t done a load of testing on that yet. Also haven’t done a ton of testing with the installed video driver itself, but things seems to work well.


    *Beware, I put windows 7 32bit on a Dell Latitude E5580 laptop with 7th gen processor and after some hard work got everything working correctly but windows updates will not work, Microsoft gives a message saying your laptop and processor are not supported for your OS you are using thus you won't get Microsoft updates."
    Reply to masseys
  18. Me myself windows 7 32 bit with 4 gigs of ram with a relatively newish system runs very fast, works fantastic in a work environment, as long as you don't plan on like playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on it you will be just fine. As for security as long as you keep it tight all around you will be ok, if you are dumb with security and have win 10 you will still get nailed. We are moving to windows 10 64 bit, but yea have to keep the win 7 32 going before then. Have a little less than 2 years on the end of life of win7 so you would think things would be fine but Microsoft seems to really dislike Windows 7, it's a shame because it was their most popular OS. It's sort of funny, them preventing windows 7 from working on newer machines by working with hardware manufactures to make it tougher is making it longer for us to go to windows 10 64 bit which is what they wanted in the first place since now we have to throw all our weight into getting those win 7 32bits new machines to work when we could have been working on getting win 10 going.
    Reply to masseys
  19. Wow, Microsoft stone walled me, got this Dell Latitude E5580 laptop with a 7th gen processor working with everything, but the windows updates aren't working. Got a message from Microsoft on the screen saying "Unsupported Hardware, your pc uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows Version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates." Sad, this laptop was working well to till that popped up.
    Reply to masseys
  20. masseys said:
    Wow, Microsoft stone walled me, got this Dell Latitude E5580 laptop with a 7th gen processor working with everything, but the windows updates aren't working. Got a message from Microsoft on the screen saying "Unsupported Hardware, your pc uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows Version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates." Sad, this laptop was working well to till that popped up.


    That is an easy fix - patch available on github to stop that and allow updates to continue. Just google it masseys
    Reply to desertsweeper
  21. desertsweeper said:
    masseys said:
    Wow, Microsoft stone walled me, got this Dell Latitude E5580 laptop with a 7th gen processor working with everything, but the windows updates aren't working. Got a message from Microsoft on the screen saying "Unsupported Hardware, your pc uses a processor that is designed for the latest version of windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the Windows Version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates." Sad, this laptop was working well to till that popped up.


    That is an easy fix - patch available on github to stop that and allow updates to continue. Just google it masseys


    Thanks, a little concerned with how windows updates will react with this stuff now, but may just test the newest round of updates with a system or 2 that is in this configuration and then push to the rest of the computers, will see, or may just manually update the 15 laptops we have with this issue, again will see. Thanks for the help!
    Reply to masseys
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows 7 Drivers Microsoft Intel