Solved

Shading looks very pixelated on new screen

Hello!
So i just bought a new screen which is a AOC G2460PF.
The screen looks just nice with 144hz but when in dark areas the shadowing and the shading looks very pixelated.

here is a picture of how it looks like (im using wallpaper engine and on my other screen it looks just fine) https://imgur.com/ErV7EbN

ive already tried switching reconnecting cables, using different cables (using a DVI-D right now and i tried a displayport cable which gave the same result) and the resolution is at its native resolution with the 144hz refresh rate

can anybody help me or atleast say if its broken or not so i can still send it back?
Reply to crasherT
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shading pixelated screen
  1. Best answer
    That monitor uses a 6 bit + FRC panel.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0349510

Basically, the panel can only show 64 shades of each color (6 bits). It simulates 8 bit by rapidly flickering between the two closest 6 bit shades. Some panels do a better job of this than others. I have pretty good eyes for seeing this stuff (I can see fluorescent and LED lights flickering up to about 600 Hz). The panels with good FRC look mostly fine, I just notice a slight swimming or shimmering effect out of my peripheral vision (your peripheral vision is more sensitive to rapid changes in light intensity). The ones with poor FRC often look like yours, with obvious gradient boundaries between what are supposed to be continuous shades.

If this is unacceptable to you, you should probably return it. However, it may be difficult to find a 144 Hz monitor with a true 8-bit panel at a reasonable price.

Edit: First thing you should try though is to switch the color depth of your desktop. There are a lot of options now, not just 8-bits per color (24-bit total). The monitor may not be able to do FRC properly with your selected bit depth, while it can do it just fine with a different bit depth.
    Reply to Solandri
  2. Solandri said:
    That monitor uses a 6 bit + FRC panel.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0349510

Basically, the panel can only show 64 shades of each color (6 bits). It simulates 8 bit by rapidly flickering between the two closest 6 bit shades. Some panels do a better job of this than others. I have pretty good eyes for seeing this stuff (I can see fluorescent and LED lights flickering up to about 600 Hz). The panels with good FRC look mostly fine, I just notice a slight swimming or shimmering effect out of my peripheral vision (your peripheral vision is more sensitive to rapid changes in light intensity). The ones with poor FRC often look like yours, with obvious gradient boundaries between what are supposed to be continuous shades.

If this is unacceptable to you, you should probably return it. However, it may be difficult to find a 144 Hz monitor with a true 8-bit panel at a reasonable price.

Edit: First thing you should try though is to switch the color depth of your desktop. There are a lot of options now, not just 8-bits per color (24-bit total). The monitor may not be able to do FRC properly with your selected bit depth, while it can do it just fine with a different bit depth.

alright i was afraid of this and luckily i had money to spare so il return it and ask for my money back and get a better one. can you perhaps recommend me one doesnt have to be 144hz though i barely see the difference though i would like it to be 24inc or more.
    Reply to crasherT
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Wallpaper AOC