Very low temp while running prime95 (55 avg)

I am very surprised, because I have been running Prime95 for an hour on a quad Q9550 (stock voltage and ghz, i was just testing temps before overclocking), and i get arround 55 celsius, with the dell t3400`s stock cooler. Do you think I am running prime95 in a wrong way or something?, also, with this temps, could I try to OC the q9550 to 3.5-4ghz without changing the cooler?
Thanks for your help :)
Reply to Koro_
7 answers Last reply
More about low temp running prime95 avg
  1. If that t3400 uses the larger Dell cooler with copper heat pipes, it isn't surprising. It is a decent cooler made for 24/7 workstation use. My T3500 had Xeon W3670 6 core/12 thread CPU and stayed darn near that cool with the stock cooler.

As long as you can keep temps low, you can OC with it, yes. But I doubt the T3400 BIOS has the options needed for OC'ing. My T3500 didn't.
    Reply to clutchc
  2. Sound correct.

You can try to OC it if you want. Just back off if you hit 80 degree celcius.
    Reply to lumineZ
  3. That's a 95W CPU with a 130W cooler. I've gone 4GHz on a 130W QX6800 @ 1.588V. with that cooler. The validation is in my sig.
    As far as overclocking goes the X38 chipset has hidden support for 400fsb. You might try a 400fsb tape mod and see what happens. Dell might not have blocked that on the workstations.
    Reply to william p
  4. I've got my Precision's old Xeon W3670 on an Asus P6T motherboard now, so I'm anxious to see what it will OC to. My 1st gen Intel Core OC'ing expertise is pretty limited though. So, I'm open to suggestions...
    Reply to clutchc
  5. clutchc said:
    If that t3400 uses the larger Dell cooler with copper heat pipes, it isn't surprising. It is a decent cooler made for 24/7 workstation use. My T3500 had Xeon W3670 6 core/12 thread CPU and stayed darn near that cool with the stock cooler.

As long as you can keep temps low, you can OC with it, yes. But I doubt the T3400 BIOS has the options needed for OC'ing. My T3500 didn't.

It does, as I changed my motherboard to an asus p5q deluxe, which I heard that overclocks pretty well
    Reply to Koro_
  6. Koro_ said:
    clutchc said:
    If that t3400 uses the larger Dell cooler with copper heat pipes, it isn't surprising. It is a decent cooler made for 24/7 workstation use. My T3500 had Xeon W3670 6 core/12 thread CPU and stayed darn near that cool with the stock cooler.

It does, as I changed my motherboard to an asus p5q deluxe, which I heard that overclocks pretty well

Apparently, you have moved the system to a retail case too. So, you're basically doing what I did. But I went with the inexpensive 212 EVO cooler so I could get my Xeon to 4 GHz. Turns in a pretty impressive Firestrike & Time Spy score with a GTX 1060 now.
    Reply to clutchc
  7. The T3400 with QX9650 is confirmed to go 4.15GHz with Throttlestop software controlling Volts and multiplier. The 400FSB won't happen in BIOS it will be a tape mod to force the fsb to 400. Not confirmed yet.
    Reply to william p
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Quad Cooling