FX8350 with chipset 990fx

Hi, I'm looking for a budget Motherboard for a PC build intended for machine learning purposes.
I've chosen the chipset 990fx in order to be able to add more GPUs in the future, starting from a 1060 6g.
Which one would you advise me to buy?
Asrock 90-MXGST0-A0UAYZ 990Fx Killer?
Asrock AM3+ 990FX Extreme6?
Or maybe should I change my setup...the constraint being CPU + MoBo under 300€.
Thanks in advance
Reply to 1984gf
6 answers Last reply
More about fx8350 chipset 990fx
  1. Is this a fully new build? Don't even consider a fx processor, they haven't made sense in 3 years.

Not sure of prices where you live, but that should get you close to a r5 1600 and a b350 motherboard which would beat that 8350 by s whole lot in any task.
    Reply to Supahos
  2. I'm following this guide (http://timdettmers.com/2015/03/09/deep-learning-hardware-guide/), so 8 cores and 2GHz+ are my only pre-requisites for a CPU.
    I've considered Ryzen but the cheapest with 8 cores is R7 1700, 300€.
    Is there a middle ground between FX and Ryzen?
    Reply to 1984gf
  3. Your better off getting a Ryzen R5 1600 with a b350 motherboard then going with a horridly out dated CPU like the FX 8350.
    Reply to atomicWAR
  4. There is literally nothing the 8350 is better at other than being slower. The 8350 actually that link you sent said most can be done with a single core CPU occasionally a dual core is needed.
    Reply to Supahos
  5. 1984gf said:
    Hi, I'm looking for a budget Motherboard for a PC build intended for machine learning purposes.
    I've chosen the chipset 990fx in order to be able to add more GPUs in the future, starting from a 1060 6g.
    Which one would you advise me to buy?
    Asrock 90-MXGST0-A0UAYZ 990Fx Killer?
    Asrock AM3+ 990FX Extreme6?
    Or maybe should I change my setup...the constraint being CPU + MoBo under 300€.
    Thanks in advance

1984gf said:
    I'm following this guide (http://timdettmers.com/2015/03/09/deep-learning-hardware-guide/), so 8 cores and 2GHz+ are my only pre-requisites for a CPU.
    I've considered Ryzen but the cheapest with 8 cores is R7 1700, 300€.
    Is there a middle ground between FX and Ryzen?

The article literally explains how to compare cpu's through bechmarks. Machine learning needs a good cpu and preferably 8 threads. A ryzen 1600 is a 6 core 12/thread cpu which is on par with the cpu's used in the article. Heck we in college even run certain AI on old core 2 duo machines with a gtx 680 in them and it works just fine since they mainly use the gpu anyways.

The fx 8350 is one of the worst choices you can make since it's weak in every single aspect compared to what we have today.
    Reply to jaslion
  6. jaslion said:
    The article literally explains how to compare cpu's through bechmarks. Machine learning needs a good cpu and preferably 8 threads. A ryzen 1600 is a 6 core 12/thread cpu which is on par with the cpu's used in the article. Heck we in college even run certain AI on old core 2 duo machines with a gtx 680 in them and it works just fine since they mainly use the gpu anyways.

The fx 8350 is one of the worst choices you can make since it's weak in every single aspect compared to what we have today.

Ok then I guess I'll look into Ryzen 1600 + b350, which actually are under 300€.
    Reply to 1984gf
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Chipsets Build Motherboards ASrock