Pc freezes when copying files on new hardware

I upgraded my hardware to am4 platform (r5 1600, msi b350 gaming plus and corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz currently running at 2800mhz due to instabillity issues). I previously had a phenom x6 cpu and had no issues apart for bottleneck. The issue specified on the title came up after I formatted my hdd (note that I only have one internal drive and that is a western digital caviar blue 1TB). I notice that this happens whenever I'm installing a program or a game and becomes worse (to the point I have to force restart my computer) when I copy and paste big data files. So far I've tried: Replacing the sata cable, changing the SATA port, defragging my hdd, checked the health of my hdd and non of these worked. I suspect that my hdd might be dying (5-6 year old component). If I need to provide monitoring information, don't hesitate to ask.

Edit: Copy/paste speed drops down to 0 bytes/sec when freezing happens. If a video/music plays, I deal with sound distortion too.
Reply to Fotis Papadopoulos
11 answers Last reply
More about freezes copying files hardware
  1. Update BIOS to latest version.
    Reply to Calvin7
  2. Reply to Bee_Dee_3_Dee
  3. I'm sorry I forgot to mention I've tried both of these.
  4. Fotis Papadopoulos said:
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention I've tried both of these.

Before swapping the one HDD u have (buy WDD because it comes with Acronis- the best- compatible for WDD- or get an SSD any brand); try searching, "Optimizing Win10".

I bet something like disabling Indexing services may help. It is great to leave enabled for an office PC; but maybe not so good for other PCs. It could bog down things as u described.
    Reply to Bee_Dee_3_Dee
  5. So, I tried the option you mentioned and unfortunately there was no difference :/ Is there any serious program to check my hdd for problems?
  6. Fotis Papadopoulos said:
    So, I tried the option you mentioned and unfortunately there was no difference :/ Is there any serious program to check my hdd for problems?

if chkdsk found no disk problems then maybe double checking, all Timings and Speeds and BIOS settings is advisable.

Have u compared CPU-Z readings to manufacturers timings and speeds and gone into BIOS to load proper RAM timings?

And u confirmed temperatures are AOK and withing spec, right?
    Reply to Bee_Dee_3_Dee
  7. I checked event viewer and found out that every 2-3 seconds, an error related to my disk shows up: Event ID 153 - The IO Operation at logical block address xxxx for Disk 3 was retried
    It's very unfortunate the fact that I don't have access to another hard drive so that I could install my os on it and check wether I still get the error…
  8. Bought a new hdd, everything works fine now.
  9. cool :)

see if u can find the physical location of the bad sector on the old HDD. If- hopefully- it is on the last 25% or less of the drive. Then partition the drive one time and leave out the bad part and hide the bad part. That way the old drive can be used for many things and be of a lot of use. My main data drive is that way. (but realize it is backed up everyday.) It has lasted for about 7 years after the bad part was discovered and partitioned out of the way. Before discovered, it was my boot drive for several years.

GL
    Reply to Bee_Dee_3_Dee
  10. Bee_Dee_3_Dee said:
    cool :)

see if u can find the physical location of the bad sector on the old HDD. If- hopefully- it is on the last 25% or less of the drive. Then partition the drive one time and leave out the bad part and hide the bad part. That way the old drive can be used for many things and be of a lot of use. My main data drive is that way. (but realize it is backed up everyday.) It has lasted for about 7 years after the bad part was discovered and partitioned out of the way. Before discovered, it was my boot drive for several years.

GL

I don't think it's worth doing it. It runs at a lower speed (5400rpm) and have seen massive difference in terms of speed with the new hdd even though it's a cheap one. I'll be getting an evo soon too. Thing is I'll have to reinstall my programs.
  11. Fotis Papadopoulos said:
    Bee_Dee_3_Dee said:
    cool :)

GL

I don't think it's worth doing it. It runs at a lower speed (5400rpm) and have seen massive difference in terms of speed with the new hdd even though it's a cheap one. I'll be getting an evo soon too. Thing is I'll have to reinstall my programs.

Yes, the new drive is very fast and the old HDD is 5400. But, the new drive is also taking advantage of the beginning of the drive. The beginning, or up to the first 50%, is always noticeably faster. The old drive with all data removed and implementing the beginning, along with the benefits of a full format (after all data on it u want is backed up); will make the old drive surprisingly faster. And copying from one drive to another is always the best practice.

Note: A few very good uses for old HDD include: (if u partition out the bad sector)
    1. Having it for testing purposes.
    2. A place for storing Monthly Full Backup Images and Daily Incremental Backup Images of ur boot drive. (A nice looking article on WDD Seagate Acronis Free Backup Imaging software: http://)
    3. Using it as a learning tool/ Practice Drive that will result in experience and possibilities to be implemented that u never would have thought of before experimentation.

GL :)
    Reply to Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Hardware MSI-Microstar Hard Drives