having trouble booting windows 10

Hi Guys

I have just installed windows 10 PRO (USB) on my OCZ revodrive (had to load drivers) it installed with no problems however on the reboot it sais it cant find a drive to boot from, I put the windows usb in formatted the drive new windows 10 install everything installed easily again but I still have the same error it cant find a boot device

On startup I see that the OCZ revodrive has been seen and is set to RAID0 with 2x55GB hard drives <ctrl s> to enter raid utility. It then goes past this and again says
"reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device"

In the bois menu I have "boot priority" 8:00-0 SiL Raid0 Set
This is the only storage device in the computer at the moment.

A little about the PC
sabertooth 990fx
amd bulldozer 8350fx
gigabyte 1060
corsair dominator 2x8GB
1000w PSU

this computer was working with this version of windows on it this morning but decided to do a fresh install as it is being repurposed from gaming rig/office computer/family PC to full time VR rig
By memory the settings I played with to get it to work was CSM but I am not 100% sure

thanks for any help in advance
Reply to lampybc2
5 answers Last reply
More about trouble booting windows
  1. lampybc2 said:
    Hi Guys

I have just installed windows 10 PRO (USB) on my OCZ revodrive (had to load drivers) it installed with no problems however on the reboot it sais it cant find a drive to boot from, I put the windows usb in formatted the drive new windows 10 install everything installed easily again but I still have the same error it cant find a boot device

On startup I see that the OCZ revodrive has been seen and is set to RAID0 with 2x55GB hard drives <ctrl s> to enter raid utility. It then goes past this and again says

A little about the PC
    sabertooth 990fx
    amd bulldozer 8350fx
    gigabyte 1060
    corsair dominator 2x8GB
    1000w PSU

this computer was working with this version of windows on it this morning but decided to do a fresh install as it is being repurposed from gaming rig/office computer/family PC to full time VR rig
    By memory the settings I played with to get it to work was CSM but I am not 100% sure

Reply to JWoody
  2. As far as I know you cannot boot PCI-E SSD drives on older AMD and most older Intel boards (im an AMD man im no expert on Intels havent had one Since 1999, though ive built a few.), I used mine as a Games Only SSD with everything else on a Standard SATA SSD till i built my Ryzen Box.

BTW can someone delete that last one please?, not sure how i did that......
    Reply to JWoody
  3. lampybc2 said:
    Hi Guys

A little about the PC
    sabertooth 990fx
    amd bulldozer 8350fx
    gigabyte 1060
    corsair dominator 2x8GB
    1000w PSU

As far as i know Aloder AMD Boards and most older Intel boards dont have the ability to bood from a PCI-E SSD, i simply used mine as a Game drive with OS on a different SSD. Till i built my Ryzen Box.
    Reply to JWoody
  4. JWoody said:
    As far as i know you canot boot PCI-E SSD drives on older AMD and most older Intel boards (im an AMD man im no expert on Intels Havent had one Since 1999, though ive built a few.), I used mine as a Games Only SSD with everything else on a Standard SATA SSD till i built my Ryzen Box.

Its funny how i have had it working in the past.... and it is an AMD board with AMD cpu :)
    its also kind of weirs how it lets me find the drivers for the HDD install windows to them but it just doesnt seem to allow booting from PCIE or something, has to be a boot from PCIE setting somewhere I am missing surely otherwise why would it let me install windows on it?
    Reply to lampybc2
  5. lampybc2 said:
    JWoody said:
    As far as i know you canot boot PCI-E SSD drives on older AMD and most older Intel boards (im an AMD man im no expert on Intels Havent had one Since 1999, though ive built a few.), I used mine as a Games Only SSD with everything else on a Standard SATA SSD till i built my Ryzen Box.

Its funny how i have had it working in the past.... and it is an AMD board with AMD cpu :)
    its also kind of weirs how it lets me find the drivers for the HDD install windows to them but it just doesnt seem to allow booting from PCIE or something, has to be a boot from PCIE setting somewhere I am missing surely otherwise why would it let me install windows on it?

I would imagine it depends on the board, then again I had a 970 with no native PCI-E drive support. I still dont use my 512GB as a boot drive, I have a 2nd NVME drive for boot and apps. I could be incorrect.
    Reply to JWoody
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Boot Devices