Solved

How to wipe hard drives and reinstall?

Experiencing some PC issues and don't think that its hardware related. What I want to do is clear my SSD and hard drive completely and reinstall windows. Start from scratch basically as I have a lot of clutter stored and space I want to free up. There is nothing important saved on my PC. I was hoping one of you could sort of tell me how to do this in an almost step by step way? I know how to reinstall windows but have no idea how to wipe my ssd and hard drive.

My only concern is how to get Windows 10 again? I still have my Windows 7 installation disc but upgraded to Windows 10 while they offered it. What do I need to do to get back to Windows 10 after reinstalling?

Many thanks
Reply to SBAlff
1 answer Last reply Best Answer
More about wipe hard drives reinstall
  1. Best answer
    Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << that fixes 1 problem :)

now if you want to wipe both, i would do this
    boot from installer
    on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
    choose troubleshoot
    choose advanced
    choose command prompt
    type diskpart and press enter
    type list disk and press enter
    this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
    type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
    once the drive you want to install on is chosen, type Clean

use that to wipe both drives. its not really essential for ssd as the installer would do it as well, but while we here, why not

Now once both wiped, turn off PC, unplug it, remove power from hdd inside case, restart PC and reinstall win 10 on ssd (I get you to unplug hdd as win 10 has a habit of putting its boot partition on other drives if given chance. This stops it and means if hdd later dies, ssd will still boot.

Once win 10 on ssd and boots fine, unplug PC and reattach hdd and format it using disk management.

instructions for clean install - follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)
    Reply to Colif
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Windows Hard Drives