I need some advice/help. Here are the CPU stats I am building:

I5 7600K
Noctua - NH-D14 CPU cooler
Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
NZXT - H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
2X Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.7 CFM 120mm Fan (for top of case exhaust)

Ok... I want to overclock the I5, but I want to know what the is safest overclock to go for with my setup. And... since I am new to overclocking, what are the EXACT numbers I need to use... I.E. voltage if I wanted to overclock it to say 4.5 GHz? I don't know that it would be safe to push it to 5 GHz on an air cooled system.

Thank you in advance.
Reply to Ruffriders23
4 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 7600k question
  1. So im not exactly the best with overclocking, but I do know with an i5-7600k, it would be safe to OC to 4.5 GHz with an air cooled system, you probably dont want to go higher unless you get a liquid cooler (You should really get one, they are like 50 dollars and can let you OC a lot higher) The stock voltage is 1.248, and most people say DO NOT go over 1.45 for 24/7 OC, very unsafe most likely, 1.4V is safe but I gurantee it wil be too hot without delidding.. A safe bet is probably 1.35v

Another thing, do not let it be at 85C for a long period of time, your average for gaming should be under 80C so keep watch on that, processors will keep running until they "Explode" from heat, it can be running at 100C and still be working but extremely hot (you do not want your processor, especially one as expensive as a 7600k to be at 100C obviously)

So basically, id put it to 1.35v, im getting an i5-7600k soon so ive put some research into it haha
    Reply to Saturnity
  2. Saturnity said:
    So im not exactly the best with overclocking, but I do know with an i5-7600k, it would be safe to OC to 4.5 GHz with an air cooled system, you probably dont want to go higher unless you get a liquid cooler (You should really get one, they are like 50 dollars and can let you OC a lot higher) The stock voltage is 1.248, and most people say DO NOT go over 1.45 for 24/7 OC, very unsafe most likely, 1.4V is safe but I gurantee it wil be too hot without delidding.. A safe bet is probably 1.35v

Another thing, do not let it be at 85C for a long period of time, your average for gaming should be under 80C so keep watch on that, processors will keep running until they "Explode" from heat, it can be running at 100C and still be working but extremely hot (you do not want your processor, especially one as expensive as a 7600k to be at 100C obviously)

So basically, id put it to 1.35v, im getting an i5-7600k soon so ive put some research into it haha

Thank you for the information... so the safe multiplier to use is 45... with a volatage of 1.35 volts.
    Reply to Ruffriders23
  3. Ruffriders23 said:
    Saturnity said:
    So im not exactly the best with overclocking, but I do know with an i5-7600k, it would be safe to OC to 4.5 GHz with an air cooled system, you probably dont want to go higher unless you get a liquid cooler (You should really get one, they are like 50 dollars and can let you OC a lot higher) The stock voltage is 1.248, and most people say DO NOT go over 1.45 for 24/7 OC, very unsafe most likely, 1.4V is safe but I gurantee it wil be too hot without delidding.. A safe bet is probably 1.35v

Thank you for the information... so the safe multiplier to use is 45... with a volatage of 1.35 volts.

Yeah 4.5GHz and 1.35 volts should definitely be safe.
    Reply to Saturnity
  4. Thank you again Sat for your help!
    Reply to Ruffriders23
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Intel i5