What are overclocking factors.

i trying to overclock my msi gtx 1060 oc1 6gb GPU
up untill now i achieved 2100 Mhz core clock and about 4500 memory clock.
i got hynix vram which is meant to be best in overclocking.
but there seems to be a wall at 4550 Mhz without any thermals (temp 70C) i can't go beyond this.
Reply to somesh101
11 answers Last reply
More about overclocking factors
  1. Every GPU has a limit at overclocking, there are some programs for overclocking that allows you going beyond that limit, but the overclock will probably get unstable after that. Even if the OC isn't unstable, than you gotta check if you have enough power to supply.
    Playing in a unstable OC will cause your game to crash while playing and forcing it may cause irreversible damage to the GPU or MoBo, so it's nice to respect the limits.
    If you want to push your GPU to the maximum, I recommend using MSI AFTERBURNER.
    Reply to Natan_3
  2. Natan_3 said:
    Every GPU has a limit at overclocking, there are some programs for overclocking that allows you going beyond that limit, but the overclock will probably get unstable after that. Even if the OC isn't unstable, than you gotta check if you have enough power to supply.
    Playing in a unstable OC will cause your game to crash while playing and forcing it may cause irreversible damage to the GPU or MoBo, so it's nice to respect the limits.
    If you want to push your GPU to the maximum, I recommend using MSI AFTERBURNER.

thanx for the reply.
    first i am using msi afterburner.
    i am just checking to what limit i can push my card.
    though for mining purpose i will use way less then that coz efficiency matters.
    meanwhile i learn more about OC
    Reply to somesh101
  3. On the site you bought your GPU/PC, on the specifications of the graphics card there is core clock:xxxx and core clock(boost):xxxx
    The boost value SHOULD be the limit. I'm not going to say IT Is the limit because sometimes you can go a little bit more than that and it will work. In my personal experience increasing 50MHz above than the core clock boost value crashed my graphic card with within 5 to 20 minutes of gameplay (the heavier the games was the fastest it crashed).
    Hope I helped you someway, if you want to now more about GPU/CPU overclock, I recommend you watch JayzTwoCents on YouTube, you can learn a lot from there
    Reply to Natan_3
  4. somesh101 said:
    but there seems to be a wall at 4550 Mhz without any thermals (temp 70C) i can't go beyond this.

Sounds like thats what you GPU is going to give you. I think this is good i cant get my 1070 even close to that
    Reply to sydneyblue203
  5. sydneyblue203 said:
    somesh101 said:

Sounds like thats what you GPU is going to give you. I think this is good i cant get my 1070 even close to that

yeah sometime it feels like i won the silicon lottery other times. not really.
    but you got more cuda cores at same power.
    Reply to somesh101
  6. Power limits
    Power delivery
    Voltage availability
    Ambient temps
    Core temps
    Coolant temps
    Skill of overclocker
    Luck in lottery

All of these play a significant role in overclocking. Add in about a billion other tiny little things, and you've got it nailed down.

It's Samsung memory that's best for overclocking. Hynix and Elpida are "ok".
    Reply to Vellinious
  7. Vellinious said:
    Power limits
    Power delivery
    Voltage availability
    Ambient temps
    Core temps
    Coolant temps
    Skill of overclocker
    Luck in lottery

All of these play a significant role in overclocking. Add in about a billion other tiny little things, and you've got it nailed down.

expanding your terms ---

power limits -> power gpu can handle?
    power delivery -> how much power psu can deliver.
    voltage - refrence above.
    ambient- i know
    coolant - if i could afford this i would have purchased a gaming x rather then oc edition of this gpu. :D
    btw in terms of liquid cooling right?
    skil --> i am noob
    luck in lottery ... still figuring it out.
    for about 4k less i have achieved 1932 core. 4492 mem instead of 2100 core and 4800 mem.
    i have read at places hynix are best for oc samung are good mem but they don't overclock well.
    Reply to somesh101
  8. somesh101 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Power limits
    Power delivery
    Voltage availability
    Ambient temps
    Core temps
    Coolant temps
    Skill of overclocker
    Luck in lottery

expanding your terms ---

ambient- i know
    coolant - if i could afford this i would have purchased a gaming x rather then oc edition of this gpu. :D
    skil --> i am noob
    for about 4k less i have achieved 1932 core. 4492 mem instead of 2100 core and 4800 mem.
    i have read at places hynix are best for oc samung are good mem but they don't overclock well.

power limits -> power gpu can handle? -> The power limit is set in the GPU bios. Reference boards are usually around 200 watts. Custom boards can be as high as 350 watts. If your GPU reaches the prescribed "power limit" that's set in the bios, it will "power limit throttle".

power delivery -> how much power psu can deliver. -> That's part of it. Also, the quality of the power...power fluctuations, waveform stability, etc. Power delivery is also affected by the VRM on the GPU itself.

voltage - refrence above. -> Voltage availability. Lots of factors here. VRM temps, core temps, overall temps will play into VDROOP. How much voltage is lost on the way to the core. More heat = less efficiency. Also, is the GPU voltage limited. All Pascal GPUs (except for a few LN2 models) are limited to 1.093v. This really isn't a factor, unless you start looking into sub-ambient cooling.

ambient / coolant / core -> with Pascal, the colder the better. The cooler the core runs, the higher it'll boost and the better it'll run when it gets there.

i have read at places hynix are best for oc samung are good mem but they don't overclock well. ->they were wrong
    Reply to Vellinious
  9. Vellinious said:
    somesh101 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Power limits
    Power delivery
    Voltage availability
    Ambient temps
    Core temps
    Coolant temps
    Skill of overclocker
    Luck in lottery

expanding your terms ---

ambient- i know
    skil --> i am noob

power limits -> power gpu can handle? -> The power limit is set in the GPU bios. Reference boards are usually around 200 watts. Custom boards can be as high as 350 watts. If your GPU reaches the prescribed "power limit" that's set in the bios, it will "power limit throttle".

power delivery -> how much power psu can deliver. -> That's part of it. Also, the quality of the power...power fluctuations, waveform stability, etc. Power delivery is also affected by the VRM on the GPU itself.

voltage - refrence above. -> Voltage availability. Lots of factors here. VRM temps, core temps, overall temps will play into VDROOP. How much voltage is lost on the way to the core. More heat = less efficiency. Also, is the GPU voltage limited. All Pascal GPUs (except for a few LN2 models) are limited to 1.093v. This really isn't a factor, unless you start looking into sub-ambient cooling.

ambient / coolant / core -> with Pascal, the colder the better. The cooler the core runs, the higher it'll boost and the better it'll run when it gets there.

i have read at places hynix are best for oc samung are good mem but they don't overclock well. ->they were wrong

there isn't much info about the card on the net. everyone is talking about gaming x or above model.

Don't know about changing gpu bios yet.
    but the nvidia-smi on linux shows 140w as max limit 120 as normal and one more i forgot
    i am operating my card at 105 .

i got this gpu with 2nd card in mind so possibly more than enough (gx550 ) here it is Cooler Master GX 550 Strorm edition

Not looking into sub ambient cooling right now only the included hit sink and fans.
    the only option i can change is core voltage.
    still working how it goes.

this is the only link i have found and i ma nowhere close to their with same offset
    Review
    Reply to somesh101
  10. Can't customize the vbios on pascal. There's no bios tweaker. NVIDIA locked them down.

Just remember to keep the voltage as low as possible, and keep the GPU core as cool as possible.
    Reply to Vellinious
  11. Vellinious said:
    Can't customize the vbios on pascal. There's no bios tweaker. NVIDIA locked them down.

Just remember to keep the voltage as low as possible, and keep the GPU core as cool as possible.

it's crappy heatsink on my gpu. will need to look for aftermarket coolers.

didn't changed the voltage much still working it out.... depending on temps my gpu won't get above 4550.
    it seems water cooling is good solution byt i like those big bad ass heatsinks on cpu and gpu.
    Reply to somesh101
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking MSI-Microstar