Solved

Windows won't boot without both the HDD and SSD

Hello, I just needed a quick CD-ROM, took the one in my drawer, installed it and because my PSU only has two Sata Power Connectors, I disconnected the HDD.
Windows is installed on my SSD, so I expected it to boot up, it didn't.
"Please insert media into boot device..."
Swapped ports on motherboard, still didn't work.
Worked as soon as I connected the HDD.
Why is it this way? I didn't clone the drive, I cleanly installed directly to the SSD.
Reply to lakimens
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows boot hdd ssd
  1. did you check if you use the first sata port on the board for the ssd and that you dont have original os on the hdd so system sse it as boot device .
    Reply to scout_03
  2. I did, as I said above.
    Reply to lakimens
  3. this sytem is a prebuilt and could you chek in bios if ssd is set as first boot device since system dont find boot loader on it and only on the hdd .
    Reply to scout_03
  4. It's not prebuilt. As I said above, I. myself did a clean install of Windows directly to the SSD, the HDD wasn't even plugged in.
    SSD is set as first boot device.
    Reply to lakimens
  5. lakimens said:
    Why is it this way?

Post screenshot from DIsk Management.
    Most likely you installed windows onto SSD with HDD still connected to the system - resulting in situation, when bootloader is on hdd, but windows on SSD.
    This type of configuration requires both drives be present, to boot windows.
    Reply to SkyNetRising

6. I see, it seems like the 500MB drive is onto the HDD. But I do think it was disconnected when I installed Windows.
    Reply to lakimens
  7. Yep - bootloader 500mb partition is on 300GB drive and windows is on 120GB drive.
    Do you want to move bootloader to 120GB drive?
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  8. Would be good if it's possible.
    Reply to lakimens
  9. Best answer
    It's quite easy.
    1. Shrink C: partition by 500MB
    2. Make a new primary partition in freed up space, format NTFS, drive letter X:
    3. Make the new partition active
    4. execute command from elevated command prompt:
    5. Reboot your pc into BIOS, change boot priority so that 120GB drive is first
    6. Reboot and done
    After that you can disconnect your 300GB drive and system should be able to boot without it.
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  10. Thank you very much! I will probably be doing that. I had a urgent need of a CD-ROM, the moment has passed now, but I might still move it just in case.
    Reply to lakimens
  11. you could something similar to this and get on your dvd drive in system . https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124073
    Reply to scout_03
  12. I'd rather give $20 more and buy a good PSU. $30 to make something that costs $10 work? Nah, too much.
    Reply to lakimens
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

SSD Boot Hard Drives