Windows 10 Reset/Refresh - No Option Works

I have been looking to reset or reinstall Windows 10 for a few days now. I have tried every option available to no avail. I have tried resetting it from the settings menu (Both options get to 31% then stop the reset, saying an error has occurred and no changes were made). I have tried reinstalling windows using the media creation tool (The OS simply will not download to the flash drive)

I just want a clean install of windows 10, and this has immensely frustrated me.

Does anyone have any viable solutions?
Reply to JCMsergox
7 answers Last reply
More about windows reset refresh option works
  1. what is problem with the USB? Try using another one?

    generally a fresh install is best option if reset isn't working

    Once we can get USB working, follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

    when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

    On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)
    Reply to Colif
  2. Colif said:
    what is problem with the USB? Try using another one?

    generally a fresh install is best option if reset isn't working

    Once we can get USB working, follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

    when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

    On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)


    Im using a brand-new USB drive, and I tried using an older one before. It goes to the "Downloading" screen, but it will just stay at 0%. This happens on both. I have the OEM disk that I bought to get Win 10 on my machine in the first place, is there anyway I can use that?
    Reply to JCMsergox
  3. Its possible the problem that won't let you reset is the same one that won't let you download the image file. Have you tried using another PC to download the ISO?

    You should be able to use DVD if you have an optical drive. If windows is still working, easiest way to boot off DVD is to do the following - no messing with bios then.

    Put DVD in drive
    go to settings/update & security/recovery
    under Advanced Startup, click Restart now button

    this loads advanced startup
    click Use a device
    choose DVD from list and PC will reboot and run windows installer.
    Reply to Colif
  4. Colif said:
    Its possible the problem that won't let you reset is the same one that won't let you download the image file. Have you tried using another PC to download the ISO?

    You should be able to use DVD if you have an optical drive. If windows is still working, easiest way to boot off DVD is to do the following - no messing with bios then.

    Put DVD in drive
    go to settings/update & security/recovery
    under Advanced Startup, click Restart now button

    this loads advanced startup
    click Use a device
    choose DVD from list and PC will reboot and run windows installer.


    I tried this, but it didn't not give me the option to boot from the DVD drive.
    Reply to JCMsergox
  5. what motherboard do you have? I guess we will need to add DVD to the boot order and it should let you hit enter at load to use the DVD.
    Reply to Colif
  6. Colif said:
    what motherboard do you have? I guess we will need to add DVD to the boot order and it should let you hit enter at load to use the DVD.


    I have an MSI Krait z170 Gaming 3x
    Reply to JCMsergox
  7. Put DVD in PC and restart PC
    At boot , press F11 to get into boot order
    use up/down arrow to choose DVD from list and press enter (i think)
    PC should boot from DVD, you may need to hit space bar after boot to make it use DVD as mine gives me 5 seconds to choose it before it goes to windows
    Reply to Colif
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Option