Solved

Cannot reset, refresh or update Windows 10

Hello, one year ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Since then I've been having problems with running games, so I finally decided to reset it and see if it fixes my problems.
Unfortunately, I am not able to reset it. I tried every option and got a message: "There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made." I googled it and searched for a solution, found these 2 steps, which did not work: http://imgur.com/a/1RHWg

After failing to re-install my Windows, I decided to check if I am running the latest version and apparently, I have an older one. So I downloaded Windows Upgrader from Microsoft's website, ran it and in a while it said that there's an error and I could not update Windows.

I don't have a disk as I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 digitally. What am I supposed to do? I really hope you can help me.
Reply to IvakaS
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reset refresh update windows
  1. Where did you get your Windows license? For example, was it pre-installed on a pre-built system? Or did you custom build your system and buy a license? If so, from where did you buy it?
    Reply to Jwpanz
  2. Jwpanz said:
    Where did you get your Windows license? For example, was it pre-installed on a pre-built system? Or did you custom build your system and buy a license? If so, from where did you buy it?


    I never bought it. I was using Windows 7 when the Windows 10 Upgrader just popped up in the lower down corner and stayed there until I decided to upgrade my PC. I was using an original copy of Win 7 and that's why I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
    Reply to IvakaS
  3. Ok. The reason I asked is that it could be a key issue. You will have to contact Microsoft and ask for a solution as it seems to be occurring on their end.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  4. Jwpanz said:
    Ok. The reason I asked is that it could be a key issue. You will have to contact Microsoft and ask for a solution as it seems to be occurring on their end.


    Already searched for solutions given by them. To be honest, I trust people here A LOT more than some Microsoft "specialists".
    Reply to IvakaS
  5. The only other option I have for you is to completely wipe your drive and do a totally fresh install of Windows using the Windows Installer tool. Just use the current key you have to activate Windows again and make sure you back up your files to load them back on later.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  6. Jwpanz said:
    The only other option I have for you is to completely wipe your drive and do a totally fresh install of Windows using the Windows Installer tool. Just use the current key you have to activate Windows again and make sure you back up your files to load them back on later.


    Already tried the Windows Installer thing, doesn't work. It loads a couple of things and before it starts, a window pops up which says that I have to reboot my PC because it failed to start. I did it twice.
    Reply to IvakaS
  7. Just to be clear, I am not speaking about the Upgrader tool. The tool I am talking about is the ISO file tool located here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

    Download it to a USB drive and wipe your SSD using killdisk or some other tool. Then, boot from the USB to perform a 100% fresh install of Windows.

    If your PC still rejects this then you have a hardware problem. Most likely due to the motherboard. The ISO file should load without issue as it's a brand new version of Windows being loaded to a wiped SSD.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  8. Jwpanz said:
    Just to be clear, I am not speaking about the Upgrader tool. The tool I am talking about is the ISO file tool located here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

    Download it to a USB drive and wipe your SSD using killdisk or some other tool. Then, boot from the USB to perform a 100% fresh install of Windows.

    If your PC still rejects this then you have a hardware problem. Most likely due to the motherboard. The ISO file should load without issue as it's a brand new version of Windows being loaded to a wiped SSD.


    This is exactly what I was trying to run. It says I need to reboot my PC. We are talking about MediaCreationTool, right?
    Reply to IvakaS
  9. Yes, that tool. That tool is designed to load to a blank disk. Is that what you are doing or are you trying to do it to the disk with Windows and other things still installed?
    Reply to Jwpanz
  10. You don't need to put the key in again, once win 10 has been on a PC you can always put it on again. Details of your PC are stored on MIcrosofts servers, they have a record of PC + licence next to an activation of win 10.
    Boot from the installer made by media creation tool & follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

    when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

    On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)
    Reply to Colif
  11. Jwpanz said:
    Yes, that tool. That tool is designed to load to a blank disk. Is that what you are doing or are you trying to do it to the disk with Windows and other things still installed?


    I have 2 options and I've been trying the first one. Second one says "Create installation media (USB, DVD or ISO) for another computer." So basically, I need to put a blank disk in my PC and click that option, then it's going to download Windows 10. From there, I reboot my PC and make it boot from the disk and install a fresh new Windows 10? If that's the case, is it going to format just disk C: or each drive there is?
    Reply to IvakaS
  12. Yes, use the make media for another PC option

    It only formats C drive but its a good idea to remove other drives while installing win 10 or it might use a boot partition of an another drive and not pout one on C, meaning when you remove hdd, C won't boot
    Reply to Colif
  13. Colif said:
    You don't need to put the key in again, once win 10 has been on a PC you can always put it on again. Details of your PC are stored on MIcrosofts servers, they have a record of PC + licence next to an activation of win 10.
    Boot from the installer made by media creation tool & follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

    when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

    On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)


    Won't let me burn it. I tried 2 disks but they both were old, maybe that's the reason why. This is what happens: http://imgur.com/a/jxDVo
    Translation in the description of each picture.

    I'm going to buy a couple of new disks tomorrow and see if it works. These 2 which I tried were read really slowly.
    Reply to IvakaS
  14. You need to use a USB flash drive. Do you have one on hand?
    Reply to Jwpanz
  15. Jwpanz said:
    You need to use a USB flash drive. Do you have one on hand?


    No, I don't. Can't I use a disk instead?
    Reply to IvakaS
  16. You can use a DVD disc but not a CD-ROM. Which are you using?
    Reply to Jwpanz
  17. Jwpanz said:
    You can use a DVD disc but not a CD-ROM. Which are you using?


    DVD ones, in a pretty bad condition. Going to buy some new tomorrow.
    Reply to IvakaS
  18. Jwpanz said:
    You can use a DVD disc but not a CD-ROM. Which are you using?


    Hey, bought a few disks and tried to burn one. MediaCreationTool saved a Windows 10 copy on it, but in the end when it was finalizing the operation, an error occured which says "The drive reported that it is performing a long-running operation, such as finishing a write. The drive may be unusable for a long period of time.
    Then I ejected the disk and put it back again and checked This Computer. I had the MediaCreationTool icon on the place of the empty DVD disk and it looks like everything's in place, Windows installation is there. Should I run Setup.exe?
    Reply to IvakaS
  19. Best answer
    You don't want to run the tool while in Windows. Here's what you need to do:

    1. Back up all of your files, programs, etc.
    2. With the DVD inserted, reboot your PC and enter the BIOS.
    3. Locate the boot menu and change the boot order to boot from the DVD 1st.
    4. Save and exit the BIOS and allow the PC to boot from the DVD.
    5. The Media Creation Tool will take over and begin the installation process for a fresh copy of Windows 10.
    6. When prompted, the tool will ask you to choose a location to install the OS. Choose your SSD.
    7. Go here: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-install-windows-10
    Follow this guide to setup Windows 10.

    You will need to delete the partitions of your SSD to achieve a clean install. This is not an update or reset. This tool will erase your drive and install Windows from scratch.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  20. Jwpanz said:
    You don't want to run the tool while in Windows. Here's what you need to do:

    1. Back up all of your files, programs, etc.
    2. With the DVD inserted, reboot your PC and enter the BIOS.
    3. Locate the boot menu and change the boot order to boot from the DVD 1st.
    4. Save and exit the BIOS and allow the PC to boot from the DVD.
    5. The Media Creation Tool will take over and begin the installation process for a fresh copy of Windows 10.
    6. When prompted, the tool will ask you to choose a location to install the OS. Choose your SSD.
    7. Go here: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-install-windows-10
    Follow this guide to setup Windows 10.

    You will need to delete the partitions of your SSD to achieve a clean install. This is not an update or reset. This tool will erase your drive and install Windows from scratch.


    I don't have an SSD. I will install it in C: of my HDD. It's just C: drive which is wiped out, D: and E: stay untouched, right? Also, the error I got means nothing, it's safe to start installing Windows?
    Reply to IvakaS
  21. You should be good as long as Media Tool is on the DVD.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  22. if op can't figure out how to boot off DVD in bios, there is another way.

    From desktop in win 10, go to settings/update & security/recovery - under advanced startup, click restart Now
    This takes you into advanced startup
    put DVD in drive
    choose Use a device and choose DVD from list
    PC will restart and run the installer.

    You can run the guide suggested or use this one, it shows slightly more info - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
    Reply to Colif
  23. Colif said:
    if op can't figure out how to boot off DVD in bios, there is another way.

    From desktop in win 10, go to settings/update & security/recovery - under advanced startup, click restart Now
    This takes you into advanced startup
    put DVD in drive
    choose Use a device and choose DVD from list
    PC will restart and run the installer.

    You can run the guide suggested or use this one, it shows slightly more info - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html


    That sounds really good as I have problems entering my BIOS easily because of my USB keyboard. If it wasn't for this, I had to shut down PC, disconnect the PSU from the electricity socket and connect it again. Then turn on PC and it automatically sends me into BIOS. Good to know I can boot from DVD without entering BIOS, cheers!
    Reply to IvakaS
  24. Jwpanz said:
    You don't want to run the tool while in Windows. Here's what you need to do:

    1. Back up all of your files, programs, etc.
    2. With the DVD inserted, reboot your PC and enter the BIOS.
    3. Locate the boot menu and change the boot order to boot from the DVD 1st.
    4. Save and exit the BIOS and allow the PC to boot from the DVD.
    5. The Media Creation Tool will take over and begin the installation process for a fresh copy of Windows 10.
    6. When prompted, the tool will ask you to choose a location to install the OS. Choose your SSD.
    7. Go here: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-install-windows-10
    Follow this guide to setup Windows 10.

    You will need to delete the partitions of your SSD to achieve a clean install. This is not an update or reset. This tool will erase your drive and install Windows from scratch.


    I finally re-installed it. Couldn't save my files and wiped out every drive there was as Windows couldn't install due to some error that the selected drive is MBR or something, I don't know exactly. Anyways, I cannot enter my drives D: and E: now, says I need to format them. Should I do it?
    Reply to IvakaS
  25. Yes, every drive or partition within must be formatted to work properly. Right click on the drive and select Format Disk and format it using NTFS from the options. The wizard should do the rest.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  26. You don't need to format drive after deleting all the partitions, just click next button and win 10 will recreate all 4 partitions it needs and continue the install process. You also only need to format the hdd windows is going on, so if OP has 2 hdd, don't do all of them.

    MBR is the partition scheme used on every version of windows prior to win 8, GPT replaces it on Win 8 & 10. Main differences between two come down to number of partitions you can create and max size of the drives you can use.

    MBR lets you make 4 partitions and max HDD size is 2 TB
    GPT lets you create 128 partitions and max hdd size is .... 18.8 million TB

    only a small increase there :)
    Reply to Colif
  27. Colif said:
    You don't need to format drive after deleting all the partitions, just click next button and win 10 will recreate all 4 partitions it needs and continue the install process. You also only need to format the hdd windows is going on, so if OP has 2 hdd, don't do all of them.

    MBR is the partition scheme used on every version of windows prior to win 8, GPT replaces it on Win 8 & 10. Main differences between two come down to number of partitions you can create and max size of the drives you can use.

    MBR lets you make 4 partitions and max HDD size is 2 TB
    GPT lets you create 128 partitions and max hdd size is .... 18.8 million TB

    only a small increase there :)


    I clicked format to both D: and E: as I had already lost all my files. Anyways, another big problem occured and I'm desperate on this one. At first, search bar worked fine, but after some time it just stopped working right. What happens is that when I search for something, it finds it but I can't open it. I click with my mouse, I click enter and nothing happens. Tried A LOT of things to fix it which I found on the Internet and nothing worked out. If you could help me out man, it would be awesome. My head hurts from all this stuff I went through with a simple Windows re-installation.
    Reply to IvakaS
  28. This is sounding more and more like a hardware issue. Most likely, the hard drive you have is failing.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  29. Jwpanz said:
    This is sounding more and more like a hardware issue. Most likely, the hard drive you have is failing.


    Fixed by itself. It now works again. :D
    What doesn't work now is my microphone, Windows detects it but I can't get it to work. I'm using a headset.
    Reply to IvakaS
  30. Interesting stuff lol. For your microphone you may just need to update the driver. Let us know if anything else happens.
    Reply to Jwpanz
  31. Jwpanz said:
    Interesting stuff lol. For your microphone you may just need to update the driver. Let us know if anything else happens.


    Microphone seems to be working now, all by itself. Dude I don't even know why and how :D Don't feel like questioning, if it works - it works. So about my Windows in general, I think it's doing just alright now. I feel like it's standing on a really thin rope and if I touch something small it's gonna fall into an endless abyss. Just leaving it where it is. Thanks very, very much for the help!!!
    Reply to IvakaS
  32. It could be that because you are on a brand new install, windows is still gathering all the drivers etc for PC and it can take a few days to have everything. Many of the built in apps are not on the initial install, they are downloaded off the store so that you have the latest versions of them. Drivers are also downloaded through windows update so helps to run that as well.
    Reply to Colif
  33. Colif said:
    It could be that because you are on a brand new install, windows is still gathering all the drivers etc for PC and it can take a few days to have everything. Many of the built in apps are not on the initial install, they are downloaded off the store so that you have the latest versions of them. Drivers are also downloaded through windows update so helps to run that as well.


    Aha, I get it. I'll need to use my computer a little more before everything gets to how it should be and probably with the next update there will be no problems at all. Thank you very much as well!!!!
    Reply to IvakaS
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 reset problem update refresh