Windows.old keep showing up on every HDD(Help)

Hi guys, Im new here and i hope i ask in the right section.

Like title say windows.old keep showing up on every hard drives no matter what i do delete or put it somewhere else it will show up again after several minutes or PC restart. This folder will keep expending till 241GB to 3++GB on every hard drives. Disk CleanUp cant delete some file in windows.old in C: and D: drives so i try using CMD in safe mode, it can be delete but after restart its still there. This happen after i update my OS on JUN 2017, i though the update is the culprit so i keep updating to the latest and creator update and its just slow down a bit the expending. Now im out of idea how to clean this thing. Hope some of you guys know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Reply to MrVengeance
3 answers Last reply
More about windows showing hdd
  1. I would do a fresh install. As I am sure windows is completely messed up.

Backup stuff you want to keep off C and fresh install

on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

unplug all drives except the boot drive
    change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)
    Reply to Colif
  2. Colif said:
    I would do a fresh install. As I am sure windows is completely messed up.

Backup stuff you want to keep off C and fresh install

on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

unplug all drives except the boot drive
    change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Yes i think to do it so but what about my other drives? I found the qulprit, its some file under name gccc3.tmp and others similar name in my drives C:Windows/Temp. Deleteing it will solve the problem but after few days it show with diffrent name but doing same thing. The name always like gXXXX.tmp ('X' usually random number and latter).
    Reply to MrVengeance
  3. You can try using process monitor to track what uses the tmp folder - look at the link below and change the filter they show to match the tmp folder

http://answers.perforce.com/articles/KB/3035

Only said to detach other drives cause windows has a habit of putting the boot partition on another drive if given the chance, only having 1 attached stops it. You can plug them back in once win 10 installed
    Reply to Colif
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows windows 10 Hard Drives