Solved

Can I use Microsoft's Creators update "Fresh Start" feature to reinstall Windows on a new SSD?

So I have been trying to figure out how exactly i should go about reinstalling windows on a new SSD I've been planning on getting soon but I don't want to get it until i figure out exactly how I am going to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on it.
I currently have Windows 10 on a Hard Drive and I want to move it to a 250GB SSD.
Will using the "fresh start" tool in the Windows Defender Security Center let me reinstall windows on my SSD? Or will it just reinstall on the current drive.
Also does this completely get rid of all old Windows related files? Because I still have all these files from upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 and I have like 3 copies of the upgrade because I was having difficulties.

Also does it delete any Non-microsoft data such as Steam, Itunes, programming apps, etc?
As whatever I've read up on just doesnt make sense because it says it deletes "these" programs from windows but not "these"
Reply to Kkody2
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about microsoft creators update fresh start feature reinstall windows ssd
  1. Best answer
    fresh start is similar to a reset meaning it reinstall it on the same drive again.

It puts windows on fresh, no extra applications like Steam, Itunes, programming apps, etc. Like if you just got PC from a store.

But it only touches C drive. Any other partitions would be ignored.

Now the two ways to get win 10 on new SSD is clone hdd across onto SSD, SSD needs to be same size or bigger than hdd or it won't work, OR you download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and do a fresh install onto SSD - which is the better idea in general

Fresh install removes all trace of win 7 before it, no multiple windows.old folders. Its a better idea on a new SSD too

If you choose fresh install, here are a few tips
    remove old hdd from PC while you install onto ssd or win 10 might use hdd for boot sector and mean if you later remove it, ssd won't boot
    follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished
    Reply to Colif
  2. Will a 16gb USB drive be big enough to download the tool for windows 10 pro 64bit on?
    Reply to Kkody2
  3. Kkody2 said:
    Will a 16gb USB drive be big enough to download the tool for windows 10 pro 64bit on?

Easily big enough, should only need 8gb at max
    Reply to Colif
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

creators update Clean Install Hard Drives Windows windows 10 SSD Default Programs fresh start Microsoft