Solved

My PC loves giving me PAGE FAULT NON PAGED AREA error

I'm 99% sure this has to do with updates that happened when I rebooted because the issue happened immediately then. I get two weird .exe errors for programs which seemed to be common when I googled this issue and this past week, (ati____.exe and something else I can't remember).

What I've done:
- Ran DDU just in case, rebooted into safe mode and no crash, ran SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f /r on the drive twice as it keeps finding errors. Error happened after I rebooted after a windows update happened. Can't find any drivers that are causing the issue in particular (no drivers with a ? mark on it). Installed Windows 10 on my other SSD drive and recovered my profile without an issue and have had NO issues with the new install but I also ensured no updates would install after install. Researched it and only found people with the same problem with the same .exe errors this past week pointing to updates, but I can't restore before the updates for some reason. I would love to remove the updates that happened on the 17th and the 23rd but it's having issues restoring. Disabled all boot devices in msconfig as well that weren't related to windows, still same issue.

Is my only hope reinstalling windows on my original SSD? I know the SSD isn't bad because I'm literally playing off it right now (steam games and battle.net games) and had no issues with either.

Any programs you can recommend that I can use that will let me spot the cause of the crash easier?

Also chkdsk keeps finding issues every time I run it and the error log points to random .dll corruptions but they don't seem to be happening when the PC crashes.


If there's any file I can throw at you guys let me know. I want to know if there's anything I can do besides reinstall Windows on that drive and transfer my data to another drive before hand.

(any confusion, I'm running off my Sandisk SSD with my crucial plugged in which was my original SSD and has my files on it, but I can access the files on it without an issue and play my steam games and whatever as well off that drive. My sandisk is fine but my crucial will only run for about 1-5 minutes before it crashes down with the same error).

Also build: 8320 FX (removed the OC so it's just running base), 1060 6gb nvidia evga card, 750 PSU, 970 aura asus, 16gb of (4x4) 1333 ddr3 ram, liquid cooler, sandisk 256 SSD (working windows) and crucial 300 series 500gb ssd (crashing windows)
Reply to Faike
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about loves giving page hault paged area error
  1. can you upload the memory.dmp file - that should be in the root directory of C or maybe c windows/minidump - to a file sharing web site and someone will read the file and assist in figuring out the cause. Probably a driver since pc works fine with other windows, we just need to figure out what.
    Reply to Colif
  2. Colif said:
    can you upload the memory.dmp file - that should be in the root directory of C or maybe c windows/minidump - to a file sharing web site and someone will read the file and assist in figuring out the cause. Probably a driver since pc works fine with other windows, we just need to figure out what.


    This is going to sound stupid (I personally have never had an issue where I didn't know how to fix it so sorry about this question), but my minidump file is missing.

    Would the cbs file work instead? It captured everything that happened on both days I tried using the PC and even captured the processes that occurred right before I got BSOD'd.

    If there's a program i can use that can capture the exact error let me know. This is the first time I've had to reach out for help on a PC issue in years so I have no idea how to get this info out.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw81m_5CLjSNQVFfMTFZZjFPejQ

    It says a few times when I turn on my PC failed to open packages and tons of warnings and what not each occurring at the times my PC was BSODing
    Reply to Faike
  3. The normal memory.dmp file just hides in C:Windows folder (Sorry, I should have just gave you this link). You would only have a mini dump if windows is set up to create them and not the normal size ones.

    CBS log hard to read even on 4k and not entirely sure how to read it myself :)

    Memory dmp should have actual cause of the error
    Reply to Colif
  4. I just ran an SFC scannow for the D drive while on my working C drive (I switched the drives around so I could use my other SSD) and it found errors a bunch of errors which is the first time it found errors just from SFC /scannow during the multiple times I first ran it so that's hopeful. I'm running a long chkdsk now and seeing if it finds anything else. After I'll post up my dmp file if it's there after I finish up this chkdsk.
    Reply to Faike
  5. Have you tried running dism on it?

    right click start button
    choose powershell (admin)
    copy/paste this command into the window:
    Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
    SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
    DISM won't show much of a result unless it runs into problems
    Reply to Colif
  6. non paged area = ram. Its likely just a driver error though and not a sign ram is going bad - only as you don't have same error on other ssd.
    Reply to Colif
  7. Colif said:
    non paged area = ram. Its likely just a driver error though and not a sign ram is going bad - only as you don't have same error on other ssd.


    That was my first thought but again I've been using my other drive and I haven't had a single crash in 2 days using it constantly. It's only when I boot on my other SSD drive do I get that weird error. Also no issues when booting into safemode either. Anyway, my sfc /scannow found a ton of corrupt stuff like I said earlier and now I'm running the DISM cmd you recommended on the drive to see if it finds anything else. Chkdsk came back clean.
    Also no dmp file unfortunately.

    So....
    1) Sfc /scannow which found corrupt stuff and said it repaired it
    2) running DISM command on the drive currently -- reported that it was healthy and I didn't need to reboot for some reason.
    3) Rerunning SFC now and will update you.
    Will report back to you as soon as it's done and see if I still get a crash after I reboot.

    Progress seems to be happening all considered though, since when I first ran chkdsk it kept stopping on clusters, and then finally it ran through all the way, and when I booted into windows then it was on for a full 5-10 minutes before it gave me the error again (haha) and before sfc /scannow reported no issues after I ran it probably 5 times and now it finally did after that last crash and chkdsk didn't report anything bad. DISM came back clean. Fingers crossed when I reboot that it will be problem freeee.
    Reply to Faike
  8. Could run http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive on the drive thats not behaving and see if it finds anything wrong on drive - or a new firmware upgrade
    Reply to Colif
  9. Colif said:
    Could run http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive on the drive thats not behaving and see if it finds anything wrong on drive - or a new firmware upgrade


    I already did that actually, but nothing was wrong with the drive itself.
    BTW I reran sfc /scannow and got some more errors. I'm going to reboot it in a bit.
    Reply to Faike
  10. Best answer
    curious sfc keeps finding errors but dism doesn't. Guess that just means image file is fine, its the active files that aren't. I guess you keep running it until its fixed everything.

    BSOD only ever caused by 3 things, Windows, Drivers or Hardware. Broad areas really,

    I don't know if the next thing will help as this could just be a windows problem but it might reveal a driver name since you haven't listed a dump file yet for others to look at.

    You can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.
    note: sometimes this will put you into a boot loop so it helps to have a win 10 installer handy to get out again. Also helps to run system restore before hand to create a backup to roll back to if necessary. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
    Once it bsod, run Who crashed and see what driver it reveals

    The instructions to stop it looping are in the link above I will show u anyway
    change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
    choose start up options
    hit the restart button
    choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
    Pc will restart and load safe mode
    Now open command Prompt
    type verifer /reset and press enter
    restart PC

    You could just download who crashed now anyway and see what it has to say about the error you have received so far. might show a driver name.
    Reply to Colif
  11. Colif said:
    curious sfc keeps finding errors but dism doesn't. Guess that just means image file is fine, its the active files that aren't. I guess you keep running it until its fixed everything.

    BSOD only ever caused by 3 things, Windows, Drivers or Hardware. Broad areas really,

    I don't know if the next thing will help as this could just be a windows problem but it might reveal a driver name since you haven't listed a dump file yet for others to look at.

    You can try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.
    note: sometimes this will put you into a boot loop so it helps to have a win 10 installer handy to get out again. Also helps to run system restore before hand to create a backup to roll back to if necessary. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
    Once it bsod, run Who crashed and see what driver it reveals

    The instructions to stop it looping are in the link above I will show u anyway
    change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
    boot from installer
    on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
    choose start up options
    hit the restart button
    choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
    Pc will restart and load safe mode
    Now open command Prompt
    type verifer /reset and press enter
    restart PC

    You could just download who crashed now anyway and see what it has to say about the error you have received so far. might show a driver name.


    So not sure what happened after I ran that other sfc /scannow and what not but it appears that windows auto rolled back the updates that were installed on the 23rd that were causing crashes, not sure how but hey they're gone.
    I'm on my main SDD and haven't had any issues and turned off windows updates to ensure no more issues would occur again.
    I guess just running sfc /scannow the 20th time was the charm.
    Reply to Faike
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 SSD Chkdsk Windows Update Blue Screen