Solved

New PC fresh windows install freezes instantly

Just bought and put together some new hardware:

Asus Z270F
Corsair 3200 LPX 2x8
EVGA G3 650W
Noctua D15 Cooler

GPU not installed.

However the SSD and HDD's are from an older PC.

I booted once into the old install by mistake and everything seemed to be working then - restarted soon after to fresh install and it froze several times during the install process (USB install official).

Eventually it worked, but it now freezes instantly after booting up . Occaionally it will freeze before reaching the desktop. I have tried reinstalling again but the same thing happens.

Any help would be appreciated - i am confused by the fact that it was working fine on the old install but now doesn't last more than 5 seconds.
Reply to _kritikal
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fresh windows install freezes instantly
  1. Someone please ):

I'm getting WHEA uncorrectable error now but i'm actually getting in to the desktop more often.

Memtest showed no errors, Intel Processor Diagnostic tool passed
    Reply to _kritikal
  2. WHEA (windows hardware error architecture) errors are called by the CPU, that doesn't mean caused, just that the error is created by a signal sent from CPU. IT can be another part of hardware or sometimes a driver error.

Do you have the latest BIOS?
    try removing the hdd and only have bare minimum attached

see if it freezes in safe mode -
    boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
    choose troubleshoot
    choose advanced
    choose start up options
    hit the restart button
    choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
    PC will restart and load safe mode

can you upload a copy of your memory.dmp file. It should be in c:/ or c/windows folder. I cannot read them but others here can and they should figure out cause for you.
    Reply to Colif
  3. Colif said:
    WHEA (windows hardware error architecture) errors are called by the CPU, that doesn't mean caused, just that the error is created by a signal sent from CPU. IT can be another part of hardware or sometimes a driver error.

Do you have the latest BIOS?
    try removing the hdd and only have bare minimum attached

see if it freezes in safe mode -
    boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
    choose troubleshoot
    choose advanced
    choose start up options
    hit the restart button
    choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
    PC will restart and load safe mode

can you upload a copy of your memory.dmp file. It should be in c:/ or c/windows folder. I cannot read them but others here can and they should figure out cause for you.

I installed the latest BIOS earlier and it changed nothing -

I only have the SSD attached.

It freezes in safe mode occasionally but only 100% when i attach the ethernet. I managed to get around a bit in safe mode with no networking but it usually crashes eventually. I tried installing the latest mobo drivers but it didn't help.

I guess it's important to note it doesnt reboot properly - it will only work every second time when trying to launch windows. Other times it just stops at the ASUS screen.

BIOS screen and when i can look around in safe mode everything looks fine.

I will try and find this memory thing, i was about to just commit to RMAing the CPU
    Reply to _kritikal
  4. try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and see if you get errors booting into linux as it seems odd it worked fine until you formatted windows. this will at least tell us if its windows or not
    Reply to Colif
  5. I had this issue with corrupted system files in Windows directory.
    Could be bad sectors on HDD causing file access issues.
    Chkdsk /r your boot partition and see if it improves after this (can do this from dos prompt in WinRE)
    Reply to daniel_542
  6. An update on this. i RMA'd the Mobo CPU and RAM together, they said there is no problem. i received it back and the problem persisted but this time i have got much further using WiFi. Installing windows updates to latest pre creators. Playing PUBG with great performance and 3Dmark tests well with no crashes as long as i leave the ethernet drive disabled.

As soon as i enable ethernet and plug it in, the PC goes back to crash mode.
    Reply to _kritikal
  7. I wonder if its the router or the cable you are using... I have asked for help as it shouldn't be drivers if it crashes still in safe mode, but you rma'd three things and they say hardware is okay... both can't be right.
    Reply to Colif
  8. I've tried a lot of drivers now but they all lead to crash. PC seems stable if i leave ethernet disabled. But i will test over this weekend to see if this is true. I booted into ubuntu and the ethernet worked fine...
    Reply to _kritikal
  9. Best answer
    I wonder if that old dinosaur called "Interrupt conflict" hasn't reared its sleepy head. In the old days of manual hardware interrupt assignment (there are basically 16 of them), you had to make sure all your devices were on separate interrupts. If you haven't, reset your BIOS to defaults. If there's a setting in the UEFI for network stack, make sure it's off.
    Reply to Onus
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

WHEA Crash Hard Drives Solid State Boot Failure Blue Screen New Build